English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 15 January 2019, 14:56   #1
leeuwtje

noob question vampire extensions

Hi Guys,

Searching on this question on the net didn't provide me with practical answers. I was hoping someone on the amiga board could explain it to me.

My question, what is the practical use for a acceleration card on an amiga 500, that gives the machine 5 times it's processor speed and many times the original RAM? I see people are interested in these cards on the net, paying 200 or more. I would like to understand it.
Personally for me an Amiga is gaming nostalgica only. I can understand some people like to read there email on it or use the internet which would require more ram and speed, why not, but I don't think the amiga 500 has any ability to do that, since there is no pcmcia socket on it to add a network card.

Yes, you can run whdload with a bit of extra ram, if you accept amiga 500 architecture limitations for games. yes, you can have faster video for modern monitors. But is that a practical benefit it your depending on the same software that was developed for original amiga 500's ?
Amiga 500 is an OCS amiga as far as I know, not AGA. Which means, you can't run the later developed AGA games, no matter how much processor speed or memory you possibly add to it.

And there is the basic idea of my question today. Why would anyone buy a expensive modern acceleration card for amiga 500, if there is no software or practical use for it? why invest in lots of capacity if there is no software that uses it?

Surfing the net I read texts like" "The more the better" etc. on the subject.
What do people do then on amiga 500 to use 128 mb internal memory and a cpu with 5 * the original speed?
All respect for the developers of these cards taken in care.

Isn't a usb stick drive simulator the best expansion for a A500 if you accept OCS games only?

I don't get it.

Old 15 January 2019, 15:59   #2
lord of time
Banned

no - no you dont get it do you? you see the beauty of a vamped Amiga is butter smooth operation, fast loading of Whdload, smooth running source ports of games like doom, quake and hexen then theres the beautiful crisp HDMI output in stunning High resolutions, not to mention the added ease of transfering files using the sd card.... i could go on and on but honeslty if you dont see the worth after reading this I dont think you ever will.
Old 15 January 2019, 17:21   #3
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

With the Vampire card you get RTG, which is capable of more than the OCS/ECS chipset A500 has. Sure you can't play AGA games (yet), but there's software and games for RTG.
The Vampire also has it's own expansion headers for network interfaces, it has an IDE interface, SD-card slot and HDMI.

If you only want to play the old games, the Vampire is not for you. If you want to experience what you could experience on the big box Amigas, you'd like a Vampire card.
Old 15 January 2019, 23:27   #4
Marchie

It's the first time we have seen the potential for new generation of Amiga performance without jumping off to a new non-compatible architecture (like Power PC or x86).

That's my guess as to why there's so much buzz, (and why I bought one (and use it!)).
Old 16 January 2019, 00:38   #5
bwldrbst

I use one for coding. It runs my preferred development environment, a couple of shells and a text editor, beautifully on a high res, high colour Workbench and compile times are super fast.

I'm looking forward to the Gold 3 core with its AGA implementation but until then I have a couple of other Amigas for games.
Old 16 January 2019, 00:42   #6
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@bwldrbst : Would you mind posting a picture ?
Old 17 January 2019, 01:43   #7
bwldrbst

@malko, don't have a current photo because I'm rebuilding my study but here's one from several months ago...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_215837.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	61613  
Old 18 January 2019, 14:21   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks.
Can't read the OS version on the picture (shell). Which one do you use ?
PS: I also like to drink fresh ice tea while working on the computer
Old 18 January 2019, 22:16   #9
TjLaZer

It’s needed for using it for more intensive talks like using WB 3.9 with all the bells and whistles. Not for floppy based A500 games or even WHDLoad. If you don’t know what I mean try using WB 3.9 on a stick 1200 020 or even WB 2.1 on a stock 600 is painful too.
Old 19 January 2019, 05:28   #10
ShK

Not mine Vampirized A500, but:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 January 2019, 06:08   #11
bwldrbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Thanks.
Can't read the OS version on the picture (shell). Which one do you use ?
PS: I also like to drink fresh ice tea while working on the computer
It's 3.9 with all the Boing Bags applied. I haven't tried Coffin with it.

I highly recommend a little "Iced Tea" when Amiga-hacking