English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 07 December 2007, 05:12   #21
TjLaZer

I have been looking for these HQC Kick disks for ages! Anyone have them???
Old 08 December 2007, 05:20   #22
TjLaZer

Nevermind I finally got them. Also I don't know what the big deal is on this, it is a Kickstart disk that is cracked. But as you know the Amiga 1000 computer came with Kickstart 1.1/1.2 originally, and without it you cannot use it. Not sure why it is shunned trying to upload this in the Zone. Every other commercial app/game is passed on here, why not Kickstart 1.2? It's not like we are passing Kickstart 3.1 around or anything. Also what is the difference between this and say a game from Activision?

Recardless I am stoked as I finally have the disks! Been seaching for them for 20 years almosts to the day. It was 1987 and I had seen the advert in some HQC cracktro and I wanted it! Trouble was I was the only A1000 owner at the time, everyone else had a A500 (and did not need the disk)

Last edited by TjLaZer; 10 December 2007 at 00:45.
Old 08 December 2007, 10:48   #23
Graham Humphrey

We're not allowed to upload any Kickstart at all, at the risk of getting in trouble from Amiga Inc and/or Cloanto, who have the licence for the ROMs and sell them with Amiga Forever.

Games are different as 99% of them you can't buy brand new anymore - the ones that are still being sold can't be uploaded either.
Old 10 December 2007, 00:41   #24
TjLaZer

Well I got to try out the HQC Kickstart and it seems to not work very well on my A1000. Not sure if it needs a PAL A1000 or not but the demo intro has some jerkyness but it does work, pressing LMB and the Kick 1.2 screen comes up as normal. But when I try to load a disk it gets to the blue DOS screen and locks up. Anyone else try this?
Old 10 December 2007, 02:00   #25
thor

Both HQC and Level 42 Kickstart 1.2 open a PAL sized CLI window, therefore don't continue loading when you insert a disk. You need to patch the height back to 200 (search for CON:0/0/640/, HQC is 256 height, L42 is 250) and recalculate the checksum (at least that would be the steps for the ROM version, Kickdisk should be similiar).

Does someone know if there are other patched Kickstarts besides HQC and Level 42 1.2? Of course I'm not requesting those, hopefully talk about them is allowed. It seems there is a patched Kickstart 1.3 by United Forces, any other releases and if yes with what changes?
Old 11 May 2009, 07:48   #26
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
Both HQC and Level 42 Kickstart 1.2 open a PAL sized CLI window, therefore don't continue loading when you insert a disk. You need to patch the height back to 200 (search for CON:0/0/640/, HQC is 256 height, L42 is 250) and recalculate the checksum (at least that would be the steps for the ROM version, Kickdisk should be similiar).

Does someone know if there are other patched Kickstarts besides HQC and Level 42 1.2? Of course I'm not requesting those, hopefully talk about them is allowed. It seems there is a patched Kickstart 1.3 by United Forces, any other releases and if yes with what changes?

I've seen (and luckily I have them too): HQC (High quality crackings) Kick 1.2 and 1.3,
Level42 Kick 1.2, UFO (United Forces) Kick 1.2 and 1.3, Guardian Kick 1.3 (with Leonardo Fei's Guardian prog included) and some modified Kick 1.2 for use with no autoconfig RAM

I dont know exactly right now but as far as I remeber the HQC has a copier included (F9 or so) and the UFO versions support booting from df1:, df2:, df3: instead of df0: (soft boot drive switch) and also support to allocate all fast ram and invoke a reset so very old and incompatible progs will run.

Some of them also have some kind of virus protection included (Byte Bandit and SCA mainly, maybe also Byte warrior).

If somebody knows more please feel free to write.

Doc

ps: I had to recreate my account here, for some unknown reasons my old one got lost

Old 05 April 2010, 07:04   #27
TjLaZer

Doc, please send me a PM!
Old 26 July 2013, 21:33   #28
scapo

Floppy disk

hello!

i'm an A1000 owner.
i need UFO kickstart 1.2 or 1.3 (or any cracked KS) cause amiga cant recognize 86pin expansion ram without them,
my UFO KS floppys doesn't working anymore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1237.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	36190  

Old 26 July 2013, 23:45   #29
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Recently unpacked my old A1000

I've got original kickstarts 1.1 and 1.3 and a HQC cracked version of 1.2 which allows you to do some extra stuff.

I'ts got a virus detector and killer and pressing F10 brings up a copy program, also the rolling crackers message at the start says i can bring up a quick version of workbench but i never got this to work. and pressing one of the mouse buttons swaps drives.

does anyone know of any other special kickstart disks (cracked or otherwise)? also is it possible to get a 2.0 kickstart disk for the A1000?
Well I remember this KS but as KS are not protected they can't be cracked What I would have loved back then was a monitor built in. Kamelito
Old 27 July 2013, 09:27   #30
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapo View Post
hello!

i'm an A1000 owner.
i need UFO kickstart 1.2 or 1.3 (or any cracked KS) cause amiga cant recognize 86pin expansion ram without them,
my UFO KS floppys doesn't working anymore
did you tested twinkick from aminet already?
it will create a kickstart-disk with 1.3 and 3.1 on one disk.
roms you can find using google & co.
we are not allowed to share rom and workbench files/links here aboard. it is against board rules

Edit: btw. are you able to transfer adf/dms floppy images or lha-archives onto your a1000? or do you need someone, sending you a prepared floppy disk on snailmail

Last edited by emufan; 27 July 2013 at 09:44.
Old 27 July 2013, 11:23   #31
scapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
did you tested twinkick from aminet already?
it will create a kickstart-disk with 1.3 and 3.1 on one disk.
roms you can find using google & co.
we are not allowed to share rom and workbench files/links here aboard. it is against board rules

Edit: btw. are you able to transfer adf/dms floppy images or lha-archives onto your a1000? or do you need someone, sending you a prepared floppy disk on snailmail
thx!

but i havent 2mb fast ram, so it cant working for me.

Old 27 July 2013, 19:42   #32
emufan

Quote:
thx!

but i havent 2mb fast ram, so it cant working for me.
how big is your expansion?

i was searching in my collection things, i cannot find any of these special A1000 kickstarts :/
well, i think you can send a private message to TjLaZer, i'm sure he can help you somehow, maybe, erm, why not, just ask

Last edited by emufan; 27 July 2013 at 19:51.
Old 27 July 2013, 22:53   #33
lesta_smsc

Ah this twinkick sounds good. Since kickstart is 512kb any reason why it won't run on Amiga 500 with 1MB total RAM?
Old 27 July 2013, 23:24   #34
Photon

A zip of customized A1000 kickstart disks is uploaded to The Zone.

(These are Kickstart disks customized by various demoscene groups to be like bootblock utilities. In some cases, demos rely on these so that they can otherwise not be run on Amiga.)

I've been asked by the sender who chooses to remain anonymous to preserve these somehow - for posterity, and for being able to run some software that requires them.

Before the A500, there was the A1000, and users customized their kickstart disks to save memory or protect against viruses. IIRC the UFO one was a common one - even though not many could afford a 1000-2000EUR A1000 then.

The Rebels kickstart disk is still missing.

For myself, I understand the rules but I think it's ridiculous that you should have to remain anonymous about things like this 28 years later.

Last edited by Photon; 27 July 2013 at 23:41.
Old 28 July 2013, 00:21   #35
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
For myself, I understand the rules but I think it's ridiculous that you should have to remain anonymous about things like this 28 years later.
Nevertheless, you know I have to remove that archive.
Old 28 July 2013, 01:31   #36
TjLaZer

Glad I downloaded it before that happened.

These were very hard to track down too, I think someone needs to create a web site to host them since they are rarer than commodore chicken lips.

Old 28 July 2013, 01:34   #37
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Glad I downloaded it before that happened.
Then it's preserved, and you have now become one of its guardians.
Old 28 July 2013, 11:24   #38
scapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
how big is your expansion?

i was searching in my collection things, i cannot find any of these special A1000 kickstarts :/
well, i think you can send a private message to TjLaZer, i'm sure he can help you somehow, maybe, erm, why not, just ask

1mb..

Old 28 July 2013, 16:07   #39
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Nevertheless, you know I have to remove that archive.
Er... yes. On a normal night I know that. I was drunk yesterday and somehow I was persuaded to do this and put EAB in danger. I'm really sorry about this.

I still think the disks should be preserved so that the software that requires them can be run, but EAB is not the place to upload them. I normally do understand this! Sorry again.
Old 28 July 2013, 17:14   #40
emufan

Quote:
1mb..
oh, i see. not enough for twinkick.

btw: the zone is a temporary archive here. read "how to access the zone".
join the group - the button to access the zone is next to the "Log Out" button - once you joined the zone group.

@all: did a guardian sent a PM to scapo?