English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 February 2019, 11:48   #121
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
and by the way that's a bit strange to read that "There is absolutely ZERO chance that even a 68060 could run an acceptable conversion of these games." considering they are actually running on a 68000 console.
It's actually not that strange if you have some knowledge about the internals of the systems.
Old 08 February 2019, 11:50   #122
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by "There is absolutely ZERO chance that even a 68060 could run an acceptable conversion of these games."[/I
considering they are actually running on a 68000 console.
Did not write that, but I kind of agree. The cpu does not solely shape a games system. The Neo Geos cpu is not its strongest point. These are rather its controller, its ROM-size and its gpu. The Neo Geos custom chipset is MUCH more capable than the AGA-chipset, with more than 300 sprites available to draw animated 2D-stuff much faster than an Amiga ever could. Even with a 68060 cpu, the Amiga bottleneck (slow chipmem which the AGA-chipset needs to access) remains and slows down everything considerably.

Having said that, all of this is only true for 2d-arcade games.
Old 08 February 2019, 12:01   #123
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
It's actually not that strange if you have some knowledge about the internals of the systems.
Of course, but the way it was written seems odd to me. Maybe because I was expecting something like "There is absolutely ZERO chance that even a 68060 Amiga could run an acceptable conversion of these games". That said, I'm not sure that a 68060 Amiga with lot of ram could not handle an acceptable conversion of Metal Slug or Sengoku. I know there is a thing here to bash Amiga capabilities, but still, a good conversion doesn't need to replicate 100% of one game. Compromise can be made.

BuzzyBee, I was'nt quoting at you.

Anyway, sorry if my comment was misinterpreted (english isn't, obviously, my first language)

Last edited by sokolovic; 08 February 2019 at 13:52.
Old 08 February 2019, 13:29   #124
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

How about a half decent scrolling beat em up, as the Amiga has virtually none of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight...nd_(video_game)

This one ported very well to the Super Nintendo.

Edit. I`ll even do a 2 channel music conversion if need be
Old 08 February 2019, 14:31   #125
touko

Seriously dudes, before speaking of neogeo conversions, do a simple double dragon version close to the arcade one first .
If nobody cannot do this, it's useless to aim further .
Old 08 February 2019, 19:01   #126
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Metal Slug on Atari Falcon
[ Show youtube player ]
And here's a video running on a Falcon machine with a Phantom accelerator (AFAIK with a 24 MHz bus and CPU clock instead of 16 MHz):
[ Show youtube player ]

Unfortunately the emulator works only on a 68030 equipped machine due to the use of particular MMU functions.
Old 08 February 2019, 19:08   #127
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
How about a half decent scrolling beat em up, as the Amiga has virtually none of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight...nd_(video_game)

This one ported very well to the Super Nintendo.

Edit. I`ll even do a 2 channel music conversion if need be
I need to finish some stuff first, but I do want to make a proper beat'em up for Amiga. The only reason I begun learning code to amiga was to make a scrolling beat'em up to it exactly because there's not a single good one. And its not because the machine can't handle it.
Old 08 February 2019, 21:02   #128
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I need to finish some stuff first, but I do want to make a proper beat'em up for Amiga. The only reason I begun learning code to amiga was to make a scrolling beat'em up to it exactly because there's not a single good one. And its not because the machine can't handle it.
Cool, I like your spirit. The Amiga certainly deserves another scrolling beat em up, Golden Axe was pretty good for the time, Double Dragon II, half decent.. Other than that, pretty sparse..

All the best with you coding endeavours Shatterhand, also if you ever need some tunes just let me know.
Old 08 February 2019, 22:27   #129
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
And here's a video running on a Falcon machine with a Phantom accelerator (AFAIK with a 24 MHz bus and CPU clock instead of 16 MHz):
[ Show youtube player ]

Unfortunately the emulator works only on a 68030 equipped machine due to the use of particular MMU functions.
Amazing love the x68000 stuff as well

Loved the one with just the boxes on screen

Last edited by Retro1234; 08 February 2019 at 22:33.
Old 09 February 2019, 21:21   #130
Konrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by touko View Post
Seriously dudes, before speaking of neogeo conversions, do a simple double dragon version close to the arcade one first .
If nobody cannot do this, it's useless to aim further .
You think that the Amiga version of DD2 is not close to the arcade one ?
Old 09 February 2019, 21:36   #131
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Cool, I like your spirit. The Amiga certainly deserves another scrolling beat em up, Golden Axe was pretty good for the time, Double Dragon II, half decent.. Other than that, pretty sparse..

All the best with you coding endeavours Shatterhand, also if you ever need some tunes just let me know.
I will need it soon... I appreciate the offer and I'll get in touch soon
Old 09 February 2019, 21:57   #132
jotd
This cat is no more

Double Dragon 2 has really excellent graphics (ripped from the arcade, probably). Not sure R. Aplin got hold of the fighting routines, like for Final Fight..

Double Dragon, on the other hand, is terrible on the amiga.

As much as I love seen arcade perfect games on the amiga, now all people have MAME and run amigas through an emulator. So arcade perfect isn't that useful... (except if you add more levels/optional features/etc...). But keeps the amiga alive at least.
Old 09 February 2019, 22:29   #133
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
As much as I love seen arcade perfect games on the amiga, now all people have MAME and run amigas through an emulator. So arcade perfect isn't that useful... (except if you add more levels/optional features/etc...). But keeps the amiga alive at least.
Agree with this.... you have to try and give something unique to the community.
Old 09 February 2019, 22:52   #134
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] So arcade perfect isn't that useful... (except if you add more levels/optional features/etc...).[...]
Having arcade perfect port is useful because not everybody enjoying retro-computing with the Amiga will enjoy retro-computing with MAME.
Back in time I spent hours (and almost all my pocket money) in arcade halls, but actually mostly enjoy retro-computing with the Amiga.

Concerning previous generation computer (C64/Spectrum, etc.) I agree that new gfx, music have an added value if the game is ported to the Amiga. Nevertheless, adding more levels/optional feature on a game is difficult as the spirit of the game has to remain.

Also, I think people do port Arcade game because they have greatly enjoyed them. Thus they stick to the Arcade version as much as possible.

Quote:
[...] But keeps the amiga alive at least.
Yep !
Old 10 February 2019, 11:30   #135
d4rk3lf

Call me crazy, but I think with Ruff'n'Tumble engine, a very descent port of Metal Slug could be made.
Sure, it won't be 100% accurate, and it won't have so much on screen going on, but it could still have a lot's of stuff, and great gameplay feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Can't wait to see this happening.
Would you open a thread, so we can follow a progress (and learn from it)?
Old 12 February 2019, 18:05   #136
touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
You think that the Amiga version of DD2 is not close to the arcade one ?
You are right but DD2 plays like shit,even in arcade,plus DD1 is culte, DD2 not .

Quote:
Yeah, but with this point of view, all arcade(and other machines) conversions are useless because they are all emulated nowadays

Quote:
I do want to make a proper beat'em up for Amiga.
The better choice IMO, a good amiga version of street of rage would be great .
I know someone started something with SOR (and not bad at all) .

Last edited by touko; 12 February 2019 at 18:15.
Old 12 February 2019, 19:18   #137
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by touko View Post
The better choice IMO, a good amiga version of street of rage would be great .
I know someone started something with SOR (and not bad at all) .
Yes, there is Blitz BASIC effort of Amiga Streets of Rage:

[ Show youtube player ]

EAB has a thread about it -> http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83971
Old 18 February 2019, 01:30   #138
Nightshft

Quote:
... As much as I love seen arcade perfect games on the amiga, now all people have MAME and run amigas through an emulator. So arcade perfect isn't that useful... (except if you add more levels/optional features/etc...)...
Don't say that, it can be quite fun to fire up a good game conversion on a real Amiga.
Old 19 February 2019, 11:01   #139
jayminer

I'd love to see decent ports of Gradius/Nemesis and Salamander/Life Force to the Amiga. I think they should be quite doable on an OCS machine in a decent framerate without cutting back too much content.
Old 27 February 2019, 23:36   #140
acidbottle

I had made a reasonable bash at level 1 of salamander many years ago, blowed if i can find the disk now.

if anyone wants to make a parodius clone id be happy to help/donate