English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 August 2017, 23:34   #21
Dajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
You probably didn't tick "RDB mode".

btw, it is probably good idea to run h2testw tester program to confirm there is no hardware level problems.
This time i am certain i ticked "RDB" mode. The only way that the program will create a vhd-file is to tick "dynamic hdf". When i dont i creates a hdf-file that doesnt seem to work as a "virtual" CF-card. Am i missing something?

Thanks
Old 02 August 2017, 07:36   #22
thomas

You need a HDF. A VHD does not work with Win32DiskImager and similar programs.

A HDF works the same as a VHD, it's just bigger. A HDF reserves all the space at once while a VHD grows dynamically. Otherwise there is no difference.

You have to click RDB mode again if you use Add Harddrive again. It is only recognised automatically after you created a partition table with HDToolbox. (Then there is an RDSK identifier at the beginning of the file).
Old 02 August 2017, 13:54   #23
Dajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You need a HDF. A VHD does not work with Win32DiskImager and similar programs.

A HDF works the same as a VHD, it's just bigger. A HDF reserves all the space at once while a VHD grows dynamically. Otherwise there is no difference.

You have to click RDB mode again if you use Add Harddrive again. It is only recognised automatically after you created a partition table with HDToolbox. (Then there is an RDSK identifier at the beginning of the file).
Great, I am about to write the hdf to cf-card through win32diskimager.
Should the cf-card be formated in WB or Windows before i write to it?
Btw, i get a warning that the cf card can get "corrupted" since it is a physical card in win32diskimage?
Old 02 August 2017, 16:32   #24
Dajo

I got errors when trying to write to the CF with Win32diskimager.

I guess this means either CF-card or card reader is faulty?

David
Old 02 August 2017, 22:19   #25
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajo View Post
I have tried several USB-ports, adapters and CF-Cards.
You must be extremely unlucky if all of them are faulty.

Mybe it is someting more essential like the USB subsystem or drivers of your PC.

Is it USB 2 or USB 3? Maybe you should stick with USB 2.

Do you have a spare USB thumb drive or an external HDD you could try with Win32DiskImager?
Old 02 August 2017, 23:04   #26
idrougge

Different cables with the CF adapters, too?
The really cheap ones you get from China, which I've seen bundled with cards for Amiga use on auction sites, come with such a bad cable that they work unreliably.
Old 02 August 2017, 23:57   #27
Dajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You must be extremely unlucky if all of them are faulty.

Mybe it is someting more essential like the USB subsystem or drivers of your PC.

Is it USB 2 or USB 3? Maybe you should stick with USB 2.

Do you have a spare USB thumb drive or an external HDD you could try with Win32DiskImager?
I am extremely unlucky when it comes to Amiga 😉

The readers i have used are 2.0. I have tried them in both 2.0 and 3.0 sockets and on two different PC:s.

I just sucessfully wrote the HDF-file to a 32 gb (3.0) USB thumb using both 2.0 and 3.0 USB sockets on my PC. I Then booted the USB thumb in WinUAE and it worked fine with all the partitions intact.
Old 02 August 2017, 23:58   #28
Dajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Different cables with the CF adapters, too?
The really cheap ones you get from China, which I've seen bundled with cards for Amiga use on auction sites, come with such a bad cable that they work unreliably.
Yes i have tried different cables. One of the readers came with a cable that was so bad i had to replace it within 24 hours!
Old 03 August 2017, 13:04   #29
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Not much unknown variables remaining.. Are you sure your CF cards are genuine and not fakes with smaller capacity (and performance).
(http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72545)
Old 03 August 2017, 17:33   #30
Dajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Not much unknown variables remaining.. Are you sure your CF cards are genuine and not fakes with smaller capacity (and performance).
(http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72545)

I did a test with H2Testw on one of the 4GB Kingston and from what i can understand it's OK. No errors and size seems to be right, 3,8 gb. Write speed 13 mb/s and read speed 25 mb/s (USB 2.0).

But i have made some progress!
I have now succesfully installed CBWFULL and CWBADVSP on two different CF cards, Kingston and Sandisk! I tried a third cable and set up the readers/CF cards/Cables in all possible variations and tested them with Win32diskimager. One combination did not get an error.
When i copied the system files and WHDload files to the CF cards i did not get any checksum errors. But I can't be 100 % certain that it is solved, but atleast it looking better. I need to test the cards in the Amiga to for period to see if they stay without checksum error.

I guess this is the end of this thread.

Thank you so much for helping me Thomas, Toni, meynaf and Idrougge.
I really appreciate it

David
Old 31 January 2019, 21:43   #31
zorblon98

Hi Dajo, sorry to dig up an old thread, but did this last batch of information you posted resolve the issue for you? Or did you continue to experience checksum errors? I am having the exact same issue here and tearing my hair out, hoping you might have some insight on anything else you've done that might have helped. Thanks.
Old 24 September 2019, 09:25   #32
carrion

Sorry for digging out an old thread but I have the same issues with Kingston CF cards (the ones with the flower). Im totaly out of ideas as I think I tried everything, on different cards, on WinUA and FS-UAE (mac os) I copied large .zip and .lha files (instead of huge folders of WHD files) and uncompress them under the WinUAE but nothing helps. Well, aqctually when I uncompress files on real Amiga it works but it takes a lot of time (a lot!).
I really have no ideas how to proceed and move WHD collections to CF card. and this is one of my many amigas I want to do it...
Pls help