English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 February 2009, 01:23   #1
Ironclaw
Banned

Want to see a cool Monkey Island 1 or 2 game?

Quick update with some rules (could be mentioned in my text below, donno, forgot what I wrote :P)

1. You have to give game suggestions of MINI games, that means games that only takes 1-4 mins or so to complete, so each player don't have to spend too much time to compete for highscore positions.

2. You need to point me in the direction or tell me what graphics to use (show pictures from HoL or whatever). Must be from any of the MI games ONLY, no outside GFX.

3. The game can't have GFX from both MI 1 and 2, must be from ONE of them only (don't want to mix GFX from them both)

4. I need as much details as possible; how the game works, what gfx to use, where those gfx could be located in the game so I know where to rip them.

5. Too little info; ie "You have to burn down as many cannibal huts as you can in 1 minute" = FAIL. The reason to fail is; Are there animation of huts burning in the game?, or anything burning I could use?, where are these located so I can rip them?, how would the game work? would new huts spawn when the ones burnt down was... burnt down?, how would that look like?, what background should I use? what tune?... etc

I CAN MAKE ANYTHING POSSIBLE... JUST NEED A SOLID, COOL AND FUN GAME IDEA (to make me motivated to make this game... already got one, my Scumm Bar game... but want at least one more)

Ok, this is Flash ofc, only shit I know how to use :P

SO... I want to make a new mini game (got several in the works, but want to start one something new :P, yeah, I know).

I got SEVERAL ideas for Monkey Island 1 and 2 mini games, the one I like the most and will create (if I don't get any nice suggesions) is a SCUMM BAR game:

The bar will have the ordinary pirares in it, you play as Guybrush, your task is to walk around and fetch beer to the pirates. Could be really fun :P, if you just knew how it would look and play.... which I do, but in my head.. a bit on how it would work:

1. The scene is the entire bar (one big scrolling screen, and the kitchen)
2. Lots of nice animations like the guy spinning around on the chandelier thingy on the roof, pirates moving arms, heads and stuff (if the original don't have it, I'll make it, but only tiny things), dog moving etc.
3. The BAR scene, which is wide, will scroll with the player (for more depth and it will work just like in the original) cuz I think that's nicer than making the game screen like 1000 pixles wide, now it will be standard 640 wide instead (always doing my games in double of original res).
4. You will move the char (Guybrush ofc) with the cursor keys, and use space to pick up and hand over beer (think you will get the beer from the kitchen).
5. The game will of course have a highscore system so people can show off who's the best. Guess it would work like: You bring beer to as many as you can, till you have missed too many customers, ie; more and more over time will want beer, you can only deliver oh so many, sooner or later you can't keep up and the pirate who didn't get his beer from, let's say 20 sec after he yelled for it is STRIKE ONE.. you got like 5 till it's GAME OVER...
6. Not 100% sure I'll do exactly like the above, it's just something I quickly came up with.
yada yada yada

So, if you got a GREAT idea for a Monkey Island mini game, please post them, and you MUST include as much details as possible, on how stuff will work, what GFX could be used.... or I would have to think up alot of it myself and that would just delay the game by ALOT. So, just saying "A game doing something in the circus tent" doesn't cut it . Need DETAILS.

GO!

PS, think I'll use the GFX from the PC version, more colors.
PS2, look at HOL screenshots for inspiration (prefer monkey island 1 though)

Last edited by Ironclaw; 26 February 2009 at 16:38.
Old 26 February 2009, 02:35   #2
Anding
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

>>> you play as Guybrush, your task is to walk around and fetch beer to the pirates

Ironclaw, this sounds risky. These pirates have been at sea for weeks and now they are back on shore getting drinks brought to them by handsome young Guybrush. Isn't he in danger of being on the wrong end of some g&y attention??? Maybe that could be part of the game - GT needs to avoid turning around near the most drunk pirates or he gets !%%^(((@ed!!!

How about a minigame at sea between GT's ship and LeChuck's, firing and trying to sink each other?
Old 26 February 2009, 03:26   #3
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anding View Post
>>> you play as Guybrush, your task is to walk around and fetch beer to the pirates

Ironclaw, this sounds risky. These pirates have been at sea for weeks and now they are back on shore getting drinks brought to them by handsome young Guybrush. Isn't he in danger of being on the wrong end of some g&y attention??? Maybe that could be part of the game - GT needs to avoid turning around near the most drunk pirates or he gets !%%^(((@ed!!!
Yeah, you must always walk away from them, FACING them, or it could be trouble for poor GT :P

Quote:
How about a minigame at sea between GT's ship and LeChuck's, firing and trying to sink each other?
mmm, I would love to make something at sea, very nice scenery.. but like I said in my first post, I need details... what gfx to use, how the game would work etc.... so, if u ever wanna see your idea become reality, give me full details.... like, when GT stands on the mountain thingy with rocks, where he does something and rocks shoots away hitting a banana tree.. that sceene there where you can also see the ocean, maybe the fight could be on the ocean on that part of the sceen?... hmm, maybe too short.. and we need suitable gfx for the ships too, and view points... there might be suitable ones somewhere.. like when you are shot away from the cannon on the ship, you see the side view of the ship.. there is ONE ship view/size we could maybe use..

like I said.. DETAILS .. what gfx etc.... or point me to the sceenshots on HOL if u want to show me what to use.
Old 26 February 2009, 03:28   #4
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I think there was a game on the c64 with similar or the same gameplay? was it called tapper or something?

Monkey Island mini games would be great!

A monkey island themed beat em up would be cool fight through all the characters and of course, lechuck would be the final boss! each with their own weapons and hilarious finishers - Murray the demonic skull from monkey 3 can make an appearance... now who could refuse playing as him? biting and headbutting whilst hurling abuse

Try using different style graphics such as the ones used in the old Mortal Kombat games? or that could potentially ruin the feel of the game

anyway it was just a simple, basic, rough idea

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 26 February 2009 at 03:35.
Old 26 February 2009, 08:28   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

In the name of all the members of the Monkey Island Embassy here on the board I say : HELL YES!!!
The beer delivery idea in the original SCUMM bar for MI1 sounds really good. I would say the beer dispenser is located at the kitchen door (guess this one is quite obvious ). Maybe you can also include a three headed monkey that steals a beer from GT sometimes
Great idea IC and looking forward to see and play it

Edit : Oh please only use GFX from MI1 (and maybe MI2) of course
Old 26 February 2009, 12:09   #6
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I think there was a game on the c64 with similar or the same gameplay? was it called tapper or something?

Monkey Island mini games would be great!

A monkey island themed beat em up would be cool fight through all the characters and of course, lechuck would be the final boss! each with their own weapons and hilarious finishers - Murray the demonic skull from monkey 3 can make an appearance... now who could refuse playing as him? biting and headbutting whilst hurling abuse

Try using different style graphics such as the ones used in the old Mortal Kombat games? or that could potentially ruin the feel of the game

anyway it was just a simple, basic, rough idea
Can't do any of that, as I need the gfx... there are no fist fighting gfx from monkey island etc... will only use gfx from monkey island to do these games. Just taking mortal kombat characters and replacing their heads with monkey island chars is easy, but MI and MK gfx differs too much and would just look lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
In the name of all the members of the Monkey Island Embassy here on the board I say : HELL YES!!!
The beer delivery idea in the original SCUMM bar for MI1 sounds really good. I would say the beer dispenser is located at the kitchen door (guess this one is quite obvious ). Maybe you can also include a three headed monkey that steals a beer from GT sometimes
Great idea IC and looking forward to see and play it

Edit : Oh please only use GFX from MI1 (and maybe MI2) of course
Would be np to use the 3 headed monkey, as that one do EXIST in the game... so, would be easy to make him steal beer ... and it's best to use ONLY MI1 gfx for a game, or ONLY MI2 gfx for another game.. combining them two into one won't look good, as MI2's GFX is way different than MI1.

I WANT ALOT MORE OF IDEAS FOR DIFFERENT GAMES USING MI GFX! :P (not too many showing any interest so far)
Old 26 February 2009, 12:22   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You play as Guybrush, you have bang the governer over the table repeatedly.

That's pretty much it.
Old 26 February 2009, 12:29   #8
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post

That's pretty much it.
Would love to, but as far as I can remember, neither of the MI games has any nudity gfx of the govenor ... unless you provide them for me somehow (too bad we don't have an pixel artist here who could modify already existing gfx, would be simple as we talk about simple, old gfx)
Old 26 February 2009, 12:30   #9
Anding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
I WANT ALOT MORE OF IDEAS FOR DIFFERENT GAMES USING MI GFX! :P (not too many showing any interest so far)
Ironclaw, did you very play Revenge of The Mutant Camels on the c64? Basically anything and everything was thrown up in the air and the camel had to kill it. How about doing this? The scrolling background could be any of the scrolling backgrounds in MI, GT could be the player, and then hoards of space invader like three-headed monkeys, LeChucks, Meathooks, rubber chickens, need to be blasted from the sky!

I reckon you have your game plan!
Old 26 February 2009, 12:32   #10
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post

That's pretty much it.
you mean Gaybrush
Old 26 February 2009, 12:36   #11
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Ironclaw, did you very play Revenge of The Mutant Camels on the c64? Basically anything and everything was thrown up in the air and the camel had to kill it. How about doing this? The scrolling background could be any of the scrolling backgrounds in MI, GT could be the player, and then hoards of space invader like three-headed monkeys, LeChucks, Meathooks, rubber chickens, need to be blasted from the sky!

I reckon you have your game plan!
Guybrush has a left and right walking animation? checked

Guybrush has other GFX like shooting, or whatever pose needed to aim in different directions? failed

Are there any backs in MI1 or 2 that can be continiously looped, ie the ending of the back goes smoothly together with the start of the back making it seamlessly? failed

etc :P
Old 26 February 2009, 13:05   #12
Anding

Quote:

Guybrush has other GFX like shooting, or whatever pose needed to aim in different directions? failed

Are there any backs in MI1 or 2 that can be continiously looped, ie the ending of the back goes smoothly together with the start of the back making it seamlessly? failed

etc :P
I think there are ways around these
- Guybrush doesn't need a pose to shoot (the camels didn't), he could just change colour and fire a bullet
- Backs don't need to be continuously looped, they stop scrolling near the end and Guybrush flys off the screen into the next background (which could be an adjacent background from MI
Old 26 February 2009, 13:06   #13
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
I think there are ways around these
- Guybrush doesn't need a pose to shoot (the camels didn't), he could just change colour and fire a bullet
- Backs don't need to be continuously looped, they stop scrolling near the end and Guybrush flys off the screen into the next background (which could be an adjacent background from MI
For my game he needs a pose, I don't want this to look too much crap .. got standards..... and the back thingy still would not work for reasons I'm too lazy to type.
Old 26 February 2009, 14:36   #14
Spectre

Send a message via MSN to Spectre
Monkey Island 2 bar, a simple ddr style copy the keypresses piano playing game. Maybe involve the bartender and his stragely coloured drinks somehow? Too many mistakes and largo walks in and spits on you, game over. Maybe a battle mode against the monkey (jojo?)... just some ideas
Old 26 February 2009, 15:50   #15
Anding

OK - wait for it: Monkey Island Chess!

Chessboard drawn on the same perspective as the typical game scenes. Game background behind the chessboard. Chess pieces are MI characters and they walk across the chessboard when a move is made. 1 player (vs computer) and 2 player. Make some changes to the pallete of the piece colours for the two sides (e.g. one side is more 'blue', other side is more 'red'). Pieces as follows:
King - LeChuck
Queen - H0m0 Stan
Knight - Skeleton first mate from LeChuck's ship
Rook - Meathook
Bishop - Three headed monkey
Pawns - Cannibals

Looking forward to it!
Old 26 February 2009, 16:21   #16
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
OK - wait for it: Monkey Island Chess!

Chessboard drawn on the same perspective as the typical game scenes. Game background behind the chessboard. Chess pieces are MI characters and they walk across the chessboard when a move is made. 1 player (vs computer) and 2 player. Make some changes to the pallete of the piece colours for the two sides (e.g. one side is more 'blue', other side is more 'red'). Pieces as follows:
King - LeChuck
Queen - H0m0 Stan
Knight - Skeleton first mate from LeChuck's ship
Rook - Meathook
Bishop - Three headed monkey
Pawns - Cannibals

Looking forward to it!
Ok, first of all, thanks for the idea , second: I HATE chess :P, so will never make a chess game.... third: I want ideas for mini games, that means (to me) games you can complete in matter of minutes or in a very short time to compete with scores. So, must be "mini" games, so people don't have to play for a long time to beat a score to get their name on the highscore table.

Edit: update my first post

Last edited by Ironclaw; 26 February 2009 at 16:41.
Old 26 February 2009, 21:06   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:

You could use MI2 guybrush and then use his spitting gfx for shooting. Mighty fun

Quote:
It can be fixed with only a little effort. Perhaps it won't look 100% spiffy, but with a little imagination some of them can be made to loop. Or a basic empty backdrop with only the ground can be created and then at random intervals trees and rocks can be spawned.

Old 27 February 2009, 02:07   #18
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
You could use MI2 guybrush and then use his spitting gfx for shooting. Mighty fun

It can be fixed with only a little effort. Perhaps it won't look 100% spiffy, but with a little imagination some of them can be made to loop. Or a basic empty backdrop with only the ground can be created and then at random intervals trees and rocks can be spawned.