English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 September 2005, 10:56   #1
MadDonna

How to replace a harddisk from an amiga 1200

I know that it is a ide 2.5 inch type, but how do I replace it. I am a bad searcher so if somebody knows a link to a previous post, that would be enough too.

Old 06 September 2005, 11:03   #2
thomas

I am not sure what you expect to hear. Usually you replace a HDD by removing the old one and adding the new one.

Or do you want to know in which direction you have to move the screw driver in order to loose the screws ???
Old 07 September 2005, 17:24   #3
Oryp

It's obvious English is not his first language, so a response like that is very insulting.

Question: Are you asking where to find a replacement drive, or are you asking how to physically replace the drive?
Old 07 September 2005, 18:39   #4
DopPie
Zone Friend

Looks like dutch is the native language. Lets give it a shot;
[dutch]
Wat bedoel je precies? De harddisk vervangen gaat simelweg door de Amiga open te maken en vervolgens de oude harddisk eruit te nemen en de nieuwe erin te plaatsen.

De A1200 kan omgaan met 2.5" harddisk. Deze worden gewoonlijk in laptops gebruikt.
Het makkelijkste is een te kiezen met een capaciteit beneden de 4GB. Alles daarboven vereist weer truken.

De software moet je gewoon weer installeren met behulp van je workbench diskettes.
Dit is weer een ander lang verhaal.

Hopelijk is dit wat je weten wilt.

Success.
[/dutch]
I wont keep you guessing what I wrote so here is a translation.
[english]
What exactly do you mean? Replacing the harddisk is simply done by opening the amiga and then by taking out the old harddisk and place the new one in.

The A1200 can take 2.5" harddisks. These are usually used in laptops.
The easiest is to choose one with a capicity below 4GB. Everything beyond that requires some tricks.

The software can just be installed by using your workbench disks. That is a whole other story.

Hopefully this is what you wanted to know.

Good luck.
[/english]
Old 07 September 2005, 20:04   #5
kriz

The good amiga spirit
Old 11 September 2005, 02:14   #6
MadDonna

Yes, sorry for my late response, it is indeed the technical question; how to replace the harddisk.

Is it so simple? Just turn the amiga upside down, remove the screws and replace the harddisk? You don't have to remove tons of shielding material etc?

Last edited by MadDonna; 11 September 2005 at 02:20.

Old 11 September 2005, 09:41   #7
Galaxy

yes quite simple.

After removing the screws on the bottom turn the case over again (so the keyboard is face up) and carefully lift the top off the case.

Be careful not to snag the wires connecting the LEDs when you lift off the top cover as the LEDs are attached to the top of the case with screws.

Once the top cover is off you can move the keyboard out of the way and access the hard disk cradle.
Old 11 September 2005, 09:51   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

There might be some rf sheilding.. if so simply undo the screws and bend the tabs so they are straight and the sheilding will simply lift off
Old 11 September 2005, 12:26   #9
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryp
It's obvious English is not his first language, so a response like that is very insulting.

Question: Are you asking where to find a replacement drive, or are you asking how to physically replace the drive?

I dont think he was very insulting, Just enquiring after more detail on what he needed. Your post (reply) on the other hand was a little strong.
Old 15 September 2005, 19:05   #10
Oryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_0rga5m
I dont think he was very insulting, Just enquiring after more detail on what he needed. Your post (reply) on the other hand was a little strong.
So you don't think that this is insulting?:
"Or do you want to know in which direction you have to move the screw driver in order to loose the screws ???"

My response wasn't meant to be that harsh, and I apologize.
Old 15 September 2005, 19:54   #11
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

No i dont .. I read it 'with a pinch of salt'