English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 17 September 2013, 12:26   #1
Reido

Easynet and Netgear Wireless Router

Hey,

I know this has been touched on in other threads but I still can't get my head round it aarrggh! I bought Easynet software and the Netgear wireless router from Amigakit, installed the driver and Easynet software (I'm using A1200 WB 3.5, 1260/50 32mb)

When I try to run easy net and select Go Online I get a message saying:

AmiTCP/IP version 3 or higher must be started first

Can anyone help please?? Thanks!
Old 17 September 2013, 23:19   #2
emufan

<Links and files removed at AmigaKit's request - prowler>

extract one and install or start it. then try the easynet software.

edit: last free version of AmiTCP - free aminet release 3.0b2 - as an alternative

Last edited by emufan; 18 September 2013 at 15:53.
Old 17 September 2013, 23:52   #3
lost_loven

when i got AmiTCP/IP version 3 or higher must be started first I clicked thur all the ok's and cancel's till i can right click on the top and change my ip in the config. It was almost like a conflict in ip addresses.

lost
Old 17 September 2013, 23:57   #4
Reido

Thanks guys will report back tomorrow.
Old 18 September 2013, 00:33   #5
amigakit.com

@reido

Have you got a domain entered into the Domain Name box in the Network config?

Please post your Network Configuration Help output (in EasyNet's Help menu)

@emufan

We distribute the commercial AmiTCP 4.x. Please remove this software from the zone. It should not be publically distributed.
Old 18 September 2013, 00:37   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

I have removed both AmiTCP 4.x versions from the Zone and the links from the above post.

Last edited by prowler; 18 September 2013 at 00:43. Reason: Removed links too.
Old 18 September 2013, 15:44   #7
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@emufan

We distribute the commercial AmiTCP 4.x. Please remove this software from the zone. It should not be publically distributed.
thats's new to me. i thought it was dead. sorry then.

Edit: is it part of a network device ? searching for amitcp results in "There is no product that matches the search criteria." ?!
Old 18 September 2013, 20:14   #8
Reido

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_loven View Post
when i got AmiTCP/IP version 3 or higher must be started first I clicked thur all the ok's and cancel's till i can right click on the top and change my ip in the config. It was almost like a conflict in ip addresses.

lost
Yep forgot to configure IP's etc, I've put in the following information that I got from the Wireless Network details on my laptop which allows EasyNet to 'go online' without any errors:

Gateway IPv4: 192.168.1.1 which I've put into the Gateway IP Address box

Network Domain Name: My broadband is provided by UPC.ie, a company similar to Sky providing TV/Broadband, so do I just put in www.upc.ie?

DNS Addresses: IPv4 DNS Servers 89.101.160.4

IPv4 IP Address: 192.168.1.15, is this my laptop IP address? Because a search also gives me a different IP address, i.e. 80.xxx.xx.xxx??

When I use the hosts manager to set up potential hosts using any of the above IP information, I try to PING and get squat. I'm desperately confused, could my netgear pcmcia router be faulty (solid green light-good?), is it my home wireless router or my laptop wireless card that's causing problems? Am I actually trying to connect to my broadband router or piggyback off my laptop? I have configured the netgear pcmcia router to my broadband SSID using the install disk provided by amigakit

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@reido

Have you got a domain entered into the Domain Name box in the Network config?

Please post your Network Configuration Help output (in EasyNet's Help menu)
Yep I've entered the domain name www.upc.ie (similar to SKY tv/broadband. I clearly don't know what i'm doing though (see above!), sorry.

Help output gives me an error message: can't open RAM:T/Easynet.log
Old 18 September 2013, 21:25   #9
emufan

the 192.168.x.x IPs are local adresses, not reaching the internet. just given by your dsl/cable box via dhcp to your connected machines.

if your dns entry for the external adress ends with upc.ie, you may enter "upc.ie" only - but:
"Network Domain Name" i guess you can compare it to windows "workgroup" - so you can enter somethng like localnet.net - used internaly within the 192.168 net.
the correct name may be configured in your dsl/cable box.
given your machine is called amiga , you could reach it from another machine with the adress amiga.localnet.net.

if your cable/dsl box supports wlan connection, you should connect your amiga pcmcia-wlan-card with the cable/dsl-box.
older cards may have problems if the ssid is hidden, which gets sent by the dsl/cablebox - there should be an option to hide or show ssid ( wlan config of the dsl/cable box ).

someone may correct me.

Last edited by emufan; 18 September 2013 at 21:33.
Old 20 September 2013, 12:31   #10
Reido

So it's more than likely a compatibility issue between the net gear router and my broadband box by the sounds of it......that's cool if so, at least I know, I'll look at getting a Ethernet card maybe. Thanks.
Old 20 September 2013, 12:57   #11
emufan

more a configuration issue. it's not easy to say without fidling with the hardware.
could be a driver issue too. i never did networking with an amiga, so i can guess only.
i have a wlan router here, which doesnt let connect a wlan-phone, if the ssid is hidden
Old 20 September 2013, 13:16   #12
Reido

By hidden do you mean a security protected SSID where you have to enter a password to gain Wireless access?
Old 20 September 2013, 13:37   #13
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reido View Post
By hidden do you mean a security protected SSID where you have to enter a password to gain Wireless access?
no. this is WPA/WPA2 - this is the protected/encrypted transmission, between router and computer.
the hidden ssid is just a feature of the router. the wlan-router can broadcast the ssid, so any wlan-client will reveive the ssid - in windows you can choose "list known wlan networks" - in this list you see wlan-networks - if they do _not_ hide the ssid.
or the router can hide the ssid. in this case the wlan-client must know the ssid and enterr it in its setup.
thats basicaly the same, but some devices ( wlan-clients ) need the not-hidden ssid.

it was just an idea, where you could look for the problem. maybe your router does not hide the ssid in default setup. so the problem must be somewhere else. sorry if this is of not much help

maybe amigakit.com could give a little bit more support here. they sell these things

well, try again to read/get the logfile "RAM:T/Easynet.log" and post it here.
remove IPs / mac-adress from log: (e.g. 01-23-45-67-89-ab ).

edit: there is also a new prism driver which should work with the amigakit easynet wlan card fot a1200/a600.

Last edited by emufan; 20 September 2013 at 22:01.
Old 22 September 2013, 14:36   #14
amigakit.com

I have written a new Easynet tutorial for you to follow here:

EasyNet Tutorial: Configuring Prism2v2 Wireless Settings

Change the Network Domain Name to: UPC.ie

Last edited by amigakit.com; 22 September 2013 at 14:41.
Old 25 September 2013, 10:27   #15
ncafferkey

Quote:
When I use the hosts manager to set up potential hosts using any of the above IP information, I try to PING and get squat. I'm desperately confused, could my netgear pcmcia router be faulty (solid green light-good?), is it my home wireless router or my laptop wireless card that's causing problems? Am I actually trying to connect to my broadband router or piggyback off my laptop?
You're trying to connect to your broadband router. Note that what's in you Amiga is just a wireless card, not a router.

Try pinging your router by its IP address ("ping 192.168.1.1") or try "ping www.google.com".

Your Amiga's IP address should be different from your laptop's. Try 192.168.1.101.

It's also important to know what encryption your router is using. See AmigaKit's tutorial for more on this.
Old 26 September 2013, 20:50   #16
Reido

Thanks for the info and your work on the Prism device, I'm pretty sure now that my own router is just not compatible, but the Easynet update might provide some answers with its wireless scanning feature....I'll also try it on other routers, Sky maybe, fingers crossed!
Old 12 October 2013, 00:33   #17
Vicky

Problems with EasyNET

I am also having a problem with the card and software. The card says it is online and will ping itself but nothing else and the log message is:

S2_CONFIGINTERFACE: Inappropriate state (Attempt to config twice)

I can't install the update because the OS tells me I am missing a file/drawer.

I also have an Amiga 2500/HD on this network, so I think the Windows side is fine.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 15 October 2013, 03:07   #18
Vicky

Before you decide that, try this. It worked for me. Take down your router security and try again. I came right up and connected to the internet. When I put the security back up on the router, I couldn't connect. Same for two routers now.

Quote:
Thanks for the info and your work on the Prism device, I'm pretty sure now that my own router is just not compatible, but the Easynet update might provide some answers with its wireless scanning feature....I'll also try it on other routers, Sky maybe, fingers crossed!