English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 22 February 2018, 01:08   #421
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Let's not turn this into a MS OS debate.
...all I can guarantee is that I don't see these issues with Win 7; and I really don't care if MS eventually drops support.
I'll have a nice clean / up-to-date clone ready to re-image my laptop back to it's last supported, perfect state
For Win 10 *personal wise*; I'll purchase another laptop and mess about on that.
A small off-topic parenthesis Damien .
Don't know if UAE runs on it but there is this. Maybe worth a try ?
End of parenthesis
Old 22 February 2018, 02:27   #422
Dunny

On a stonkingly powerful laptop with latest Win10 1709. The issue is not with WinUAE per se, but with changing the desktop resolution. If you switch to a lower res, then any open windows will automatically resize to fit - and if your windows are larger than the requested res, they'll shrink.

It's happened since Win98SE so not a new phenomenon.

What should ideally happen is that fullscreen should be entered by simply maximising the application's display and hiding the taskbar - there is API to do this in one call. Then use display hardware (where possible) to scale the display up to the desktop resolution, centering if necessary to keep aspect ratio.

There are drawbacks to this - banding and artifacts due to filtering (or no filtering!) when scaling to match the desktop. Your usage of the custom resolution is a noble idea - it means that one pixel onscreen is one pixel on the Amiga's display - perfect, but for modern LCDs using questionable scaling themselves to fit the new display on the panel.

Doing it in WinUAE means that you can apply a shader to minimise artifacts - scaling up to the nearest integer multiplier, then using bilinear to scale the rest of the way, which makes things look much nicer.

But it would never be quite as good as a proper custom res on a CRT display.
Old 22 February 2018, 16:46   #423
Rifte

I am just posting on here Damien to let you know that I am bloody loving this collection. I was heavily involved in Skyrim, but now Lemmings is taking up all my time.

Kudos my friend, what a great piece of work.

No major issues here on Windows 10, the only thing I am struggling with a little is that my analogue controller seems a little sensitive on some of the games, but I am sure that I just need to have a play with a few settings )

-Actually one question.....I cant see the screenshots/box art on my config. Am i missing something obvious?

Last edited by Rifte; 22 February 2018 at 17:06.

Old 22 February 2018, 17:06   #424
DamienD
Banned

Cheers Rifte, glad to hear you're having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifte View Post
Actually one question.....I cant see the screenshots/box art on my config. Am i missing something obvious?
Are you saying that you don't see title / screenshots for any games? Try running the "WinUAE.reg" file again.

Or are you saying you've added in your own games but there's no title / screenshots? If so, see here as you need to take them yourself.
Old 22 February 2018, 17:16   #425
Rifte

Quote:
Cheers Rifte, glad to hear you're having fun

Are you saying that you don't see title / screenshots for any games? Try running the "WinUAE.reg" file again.

Or are you saying you've added in your own games but there's no title / screenshots? If so, see here as you need to take them yourself.
I didn't see the screenshots. I did run the reg file again though and it fixed it like a charm! Thanks again

Old 22 February 2018, 17:32   #426
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifte View Post
I did run the reg file again though and it fixed it like a charm! Thanks again
...and don't forget to grab any fixes / updates / additions / adjustments as detailed in post #2
Old 24 February 2018, 13:30   #427
DamienD
Banned

Looks like some fool has Torrent'd my collection

Thank you very much speshady for alerting me to this, really appreciate man

I've now joined this private torrent site and requested to the Admin there that they remove immediately out of respect.
Old 24 February 2018, 13:48   #428
speshady

Quote:
Looks like some fool has Torrent'd my collection

Thank you very much speshady for alerting me to this, really appreciate man

I've now joined this private torrent site and requested to the Admin there that they remove immediately out of respect.
No problem at all, its the least i can do for this awesome piece of work!
Old 24 February 2018, 14:58   #429
Dunny

WTF? Who would even do that?
Old 24 February 2018, 15:01   #430
DamienD
Banned

People who don't know me and just see something good for free; can't blame them really; but if that was me I'd want to find the source and learn more about it.

To be honest it's very hard to stop people... and of course I realise this.

I also contacted the person responsible on the private torrent site; he said he was sorry but mentioned that he grabbed everything from a Russian torrent site so...
Old 24 February 2018, 15:18   #431
EzdineG

Finally got this downloaded and had a blast with it last night.

Thanks for sharing this collection! I couldn’t imagine the amount of time it would have taken me to compile something similar.

Feels like a commercial product.
Old 24 February 2018, 15:20   #432
DamienD
Banned

Appreciate the comments / feedback EzdineG; enjoy!!!
Old 24 February 2018, 22:54   #433
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] that he grabbed everything from a Russian torrent site so...
Man! If I have to believe the news (TV and radio), the other guy who had "some business" with them is a shove'n'stuff blond guy from a country which has stripes and stars on the flag .
It's also funny because "Groski" is a russian-sounding name .

More seriously, it's a shame regarding your strict wish of "non spreading the files" and you shouldn't be surprise if you learn that the collection is also available in Chinese, Indian and US torrents...

Looks like there are more retro-gamers than we might think... in a way, it's positive.

Regarding your lasts posts (£), in my humble opinion what you have done is generous. AND you did nothing to get rich. Don't take care of comments implying the opposite . It's clear for everybody which has followed this thread since your first post.

Damien, have you seen the comments in Indie Retro regarding your collection ? With such an advertisement (site, tweeter, facebook, etc.), I am less surprised that your collection has been distributed...
Old 24 February 2018, 23:10   #434
pitfall

I have seen in the blog of indieretronews the great work of damienD with this collection. and I want to publicly thank you for your work. For me it is to be able to remember old times, thank you very much sir for making me feel great moments again ..
Old 25 February 2018, 18:40   #435
DamienD
Banned

It's comments like this that make me happy, I hope you don't mind me sharing DrFlo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFlo
Hi Damien! If you find some time, will you please have a look at your paypal account. I have donated some money for supporting projects like yours and the amigascene itself.
I really really appreciate your work, being a "child of the 80s", grown up with the Amiga, C64 and Atari ST.
I have been using "Amiga Forever" until now, but I will be a very happy guy when I can try out your collection as it works right ouf the box with hundreds of games.

Best wishes from Germany
DrFlo
Old 25 February 2018, 21:09   #436
DrFlo

Quote:
It's comments like this that make me happy, I hope you don't mind me sharing DrFlo:
Of course not!

Right now I am scrolling through the games list and what I see is so amazing ... but I ran into a little problem
None of the games work, because WinUAE can't find the 1.3 Kickstart-Rom.
I checked the ROM-Path ..... all files are there and WinUAE is giving a positive confirmation when scanning the ROM-folder again.
I installed your collection like it should be, even using the registry-file again.
Strange! I will try it out with my second PC and report.
Anyone else experienced this?
Old 25 February 2018, 21:28   #437
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFlo View Post
Of course not!

Right now I am scrolling through the games list and what I see is so amazing
Cheers

Quote:
... but I ran into a little problem
None of the games work, because WinUAE can't find the 1.3 Kickstart-Rom.
I checked the ROM-Path ..... all files are there and WinUAE is giving a positive confirmation when scanning the ROM-folder again.
I installed your collection like it should be, even using the registry-file again.
Strange! I will try it out with my second PC and report.
Anyone else experienced this?
That's not good, the registry file will fix all as long as everything extracted ok...

I'd say delete "C:\WinUAE", then double-click the "Setup.exe" file again to extract / apply registry settings.
Old 25 February 2018, 21:59   #438
DrFlo

No luck here! I tried two different PCs, deleted "C:\WinUAE" and installed again. I also
extracted the 13 rar-files again with winrar (I used 7-zip first).
I am using Windows 10 on both PCs.
After starting a game, the hand with the blue disc shows up ... what means the kickstart-rom is missing / was not found, right?

Damien, thanks for your fast response! I will fiddle around with the settings tomorrow again.
When did you "winrar" and uploaded the files I've downloaded? Would be a real coincidence if there is a little bug in the packed files an I am the first person using them.
Old 25 February 2018, 22:13   #439
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
No luck here! I tried two different PCs, deleted "C:\WinUAE" and installed again. I also
extracted the 13 rar-files again with winrar (I used 7-zip first).
I am using Windows 10 on both PCs.
After starting a game, the hand with the blue disc shows up ... what means the kickstart-rom is missing / was not found, right?
How are you starting the games? Just double-click on any? Scroll the list using <up> / <down> arrows.

Quote:
Damien, thanks for your fast response! I will fiddle around with the settings tomorrow again.
When did you "winrar" and uploaded the files I've downloaded? Would be a real coincidence if there is a little bug in the packed files an I am the first person using them.
No, definitely no bugs. Files uploaded a good month or so ago.
Old 25 February 2018, 22:19   #440
DamienD
Banned

...and then I have to read messages like the following on *said* torrent site:

Quote:
Moonspell13
SpiritRevered
Caveman 717
KARMA 100%
Ratio: Inf.
Comments: 42
Elite User
3 hours ago LINK
Endless thanx and DOUBLE thanx for exposing the dude asking for MONEY for this collection and props for disabling them.. They are bugs in the community.

Again thanx to the uploader , endless appreciation, the only way to battle this is to ruin it for them ppl making money instead of being sharers and archivers and contributors for less or more..
Yeah right, ppl making money instead of being sharers and archivers and contributors for less or more...

That's definitely not me then, get your facts right!!!

...as a start, please read any of my *initiated* threads, then take a look on IndieRetroNews at my devoted section.

Afterwards come back, have the balls to join up and finally reply where I can actually respond (instead of hiding behind your 'leet torrent site).

Anyone of the 10,000 members here or on any other Amiga websites / forums / community that I visit often actually believe the audacity of this fool???

*** note, that's 4 times the number of people as on your torrent site. Difference here is that they are real Amiga enthusiasts instead of only; random leechers much like yourself ***

Do you even know me or have you bothered to spend time researching my history within the Amiga community before making false allegations??? Nope...

Show us all your project / community contributions / whatever then FairyDust13??? Action speaks louder than words <cough>, bullshit

By the way, love these cool stats man, you must be very proud indeed and close to being top muppet over there

"Caveman 717"; yup, very true
"KARMA 100%"; bahahahaha... please tell, what does that do for you exactly? Can you fly and shit?

Last edited by DamienD; 26 February 2018 at 19:41.