English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 January 2010, 18:59   #1
Photon

WinUAE 2.0.1 Input panel: map Ctrl to CapsLock

I've remapped all the other keys properly, but moving CapsLock to NumLock and moving Ctrl to CapsLock (putting it "in the Amiga position") doesn't work. Pressing CapsLock seems to "toggle the Ctrl key up or down", and NumLock doesn't switch case. (I've tried just pressing NumLock, and combining it with ctrl/shift/alt/amiga-keys.)

Is it a known problem with some keyboards? (Standard Dell USB keyboard.)

Or are CapsLock, NumLock, Scroll Lock unremappable? I've tried it in Windows, and it works fine outside WinUAE.

I would really like to have Caps Lock function as Ctrl, other remappings are less important.
Attached Files
File Type: uae mya600.uae (14.1 KB, 216 views)
Old 01 January 2010, 19:26   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Caps lock toggle is handled too early and scroll lock is hardcoded to "do not update display".

Both can be fixed, I guess nobody never before attempted to map those keys..
Old 01 January 2010, 20:56   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip should fix both issues, please test and confirm.

Inhibit display updates is now END + Scroll Lock, does not confuse Scroll Lock mapping anymore.
Caps Lock is only synced with real caps lock led if both source (host) and target (amiga) scan code is caps lock.
Old 01 January 2010, 23:11   #4
Photon

Well, I use Caps very seldom, but Ctrl pretty often And I code in WinUAE very seldom, but thought I'd give the new cycle-exact mode a go. Actually I'm just editing some sources (it helps to have NotePad++ next to WinUAE for efficiency), it would be strange if you were correct and nobody ever throughout history wanted Ctrl in that position before...? I feel so alone sometimes

On the other PC I have a USB mini-keyboard, and it has a dipswitch to put Ctrl in the right place, so it was never a problem there.

Ctrl works in Caps Lock position, Awesome

However, I've remapped Capslock to 2 keys: Num Lock, Scroll Lock, and both work as a shift key instead. I.e. you have to hold those keys while typing to get capital letters.

Side note: Pause seems to be hard-coded too - I tried remapping it to Level 7 Int (which works fine for the Program key btw!) but it still paused emulation.

I'm also one of those strange individuals that remap alt-keys to windows-keys and vice versa - because on Amiga keyboards, Amiga keys are next to spacebar, which might not be the case on PC keyboards... not because it's absolutely necessary, but because I don't do much Amiga-coding on PC and it's very confusing to adjust to the flipped keys! Works fine.

(If you want, I can make a separate thread - but I also noticed that clicking the window close-button or Alt-F4 when in the WinUAE debugger ends WinUAE - even if I've set WinUAE to only exit on Ctrl+F11. I know I should type the debugger quit command, I was just confused - BLONK - everything gone!! )
Old 02 January 2010, 11:03   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Host non-caps lock key mapped to Amiga caps lock will work correctly if you set it to toggle mode in input panel.

Pause and other hard coded keys will automatically remove hardcoded mapping if it is mapped in input panel. (later today)

About scroll lock or num lock mapped to Amiga caps lock key. Do you mean Amiga caps lock state should follow host numlock/scroll lock led? (like caps lock to caps lock mapping already does)

Debugger: not much interest but I'll think about it..

EDIT: winuae.zip updated, now it should work as expected (except debugger)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 02 January 2010 at 12:52.
Old 02 January 2010, 18:32   #6
Photon

Great, will try it (even tho I'm sure that it works for you and then it should work for me)...

I meant that since "keycombos" can't be mapped (i.e. Ctrl+PgUp = increase volume) there aren't many "spare" keys to map functions to, if you have a standard keyboard without media keys etc. I could use the numpad keys ofc, but they are actually used in Protracker, much more often than f.ex. CapsLock is used in AsmOne

So with basically only F11 + keygroup above arrowkeys + ScrollLock, Pause and NumLock left, it would be nice if all those worked like any other remappable key.

I.e. if you can remap PC PgDn key to Amiga CapsLock, why not use NumLock as [ and ScrollLock as Caps, for example.
Old 20 September 2015, 19:24   #7
jodel

Swap Ctrl and Capslock in WinUAE

I am part time on Windows using the registry hack to swap ctrl and caps lock ( "Scancode Map" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout ) and it works perfectly in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10

It does not work out of the box inside WinUAE though.

Solution I found: Go to Settings->Host->Input
Select the correct keyboard from the list! USB keyboard might show up as HID keyboard.
Switch to alternate Configuration e.g. "Configuration #1"
Find CAPITAL and select CTRL instead of "Caps Lock", set Toggle to "no"
Find LCONTROL and select "Caps Lock" from the Drop Down Menu and set Toggle to "yes"
When using another keyboard you will most probably have to do that again.

It does work out of the box without the need to configure anything in FS-UAE and it works perfectly on Mac OS X FS-UAE too (its in the system preferences there).

Question: any reason why WinUAE does behave like that?

Old 20 September 2015, 23:57   #8
Photon

Thread resurrection! I use the registry to swap them too and it has worked in WinUAE since I last posted.

In other words, outside WinUAE the registry swap does the trick and in WinUAE I just go to Input -> click Remap and remap them, remembering to set the toggle column appropriately.
Old 21 September 2015, 10:43   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Probably due to use of rawinput (which was supported since Windows XP) which bypasses most of normal windows key processing. It is the only way to accurately read all keys.