Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 23 October 2013, 02:00   #21
DH
Global Moderator

without so it looks like:-

Quote:
CF_Game_Save
And yes, sometimes I am a nightowl

Last edited by DH; 23 October 2013 at 02:16.
Old 23 October 2013, 02:21   #22
DH
Global Moderator

1: Select the tab Media
2: Change DF3: from none to DD
3: Clcik on ADD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on Create Blank...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rename it here:-

you can actually write in the white box then click OK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what it should finally look like and will auto fill the filename in the File: box for you from the previous image. There is nothing to do in this window but click OK:-

Finally Click OK

Run the game Cannon Fodder and:-
  1. ***IMPORTANT*** At the main game screen, click on Save and then Format to format the disk correctly for the game, as it requires an extended ADF which will be formatted to 2.1MB.

Now if this doesn't work, then you're doing something wrong. You do realise this has got to be a world record for creating a blank floppy in an emulator?

Last edited by DH; 23 October 2013 at 17:07.
Old 23 October 2013, 03:51   #23
shovel

Well, it goes with my brain. I knew all along we were working on ADF, so it didn't sink in until you yourself added it on the end of CF_Game_Save.adf

Slack teacher you. I'm not going to attempt it a third time(I'm not that lucky) so I'm going to bed. Sleep on it so to speak.

Edit: Was I correct with my assumption that this will have to be repeated with every game I want to save?

Last edited by shovel; 23 October 2013 at 04:01.
Old 23 October 2013, 09:32   #24
DH
Global Moderator

Well, to be honest, I gave you credit that you would have already known we were talking about .adf's, but luckily for you, you don't actually need to add the extention as like most programs, it adds it on for you.

And again, yes, you will need to follow this process for creating a saved game floppy (adf) for every game that you use that requires it, or, as I suggested some time back, you could just use the snapshot, which I described in one of my early posts (which is far easier to use and far more convenient too).
Old 23 October 2013, 13:38   #25
shovel

Well, here we are again gathered in the empty classroom feeling somewhat drained after a night of noise from wind and the after effects of some HEAVY(sic) tutoring.

I hasten to add at this stage of proceedings, that I have doubts about the configuration actually working for me. As I sit here, eating my(past noon corn falkes). there is a nagging feeling that when I type the file name all will go wrong as it did yesterday. That's my feeling, and I can't help think that way.

Anyway DH, I'm not blaming you as it could be me, but I always do what the teacher says because he knows best. Before I attempt it AGAIN, tell me what difference it makes with the way the file is worded. In the Create Blank box there is the file as an example with a dash in between each lettering. Whereas you have used under score. I don't know which is right, although as you state everything works your end I have to assume you did it the same way as you described to me.

This feels like dentention lol. The other thing is what is the point of the Screen Clip. As your friend sent you a copy that was like mine, I don't know at this stage if the same thing is going to happen. Like when I slide the Left over, it will change as soon as I slide the Width. Just saying, so does it make a difference whatever I do with the sliders. Should I(If it works) make the settings as per the copy of your friends Screen Clip?

By the way, I'm a size 7 before you stand me in the corner.

Roger

Edit: Just tried the file name again and still no go.

Last edited by shovel; 23 October 2013 at 13:55.
Old 23 October 2013, 14:13   #26
DH
Global Moderator

Well, you're doing something wrong then, or you're not following the instructions correctly. Follow everything in post #22 as it works for me as it should for everyone else. The last image in that post will auto fill the filename that you use in image #2, so it automatically populates it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
...The main things to change are in memory:

Configure Slow: to 512 KB and make sure system rom is the Amiga 1.3...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
My personal preference would be 'CF_Game_Save' (CF = Cannon Fodder), but anything will do so long as you don't name it the same as any of the game adf's in the RP9 file.
never mind about the screen clip for now, that just adjusts the window size for the emulation (not the actual emulation screen size). Follow the first quote, for the configuration, and the second quote stipulated that it doesn't really matter what you call your game save adf, it's basically personal preference and not mandatory to name it similar to the example in the AF window, or my example either.

Next step, just do it and see for yourself. It's truly not that hard. Remember, I am not used to using Amiga Forever either, and I have managed to do everything so far that you have asked. Just follow your common sense where computer use is concerned and basically have some fun.

Last edited by DH; 23 October 2013 at 14:19.
Old 23 October 2013, 14:48   #27
shovel

Well after 3 attempts while still getting the same result, I did as you said and used common sense. In the Create Blank I did the CF_Game_Save and added the adf, so when the Create Blank Disc box came up I just substituted the default to my CF_Game_Save.adf and it worked. So the insert of adf was the most important part that you always seemed to miss out as anything could be typed in. I know you said it would be auto filled but I couldn't get to that part for some reason or other.

Now for the configuration.

The smiley face would have been okay as long as you insert the adf after. In my opinion anyway.
Old 23 October 2013, 15:21   #28
shovel

I give up on this. I read somewhere that the adf save game doesn't work. I got the instructions correct finally, but alas when I got to mission 3 I saved only for the game to hang. So that's it. I'm done.
Old 23 October 2013, 15:26   #29
DH
Global Moderator

Remember one thing here shovel, not everyone has exactly the same Windows environment as you, they also have tweaked it to perform the way they want it to work too, so what may work for them, may not necessarily work for others.

Some things are just a case of the individual working some of the finer problems out, whereas the bigger problems had already been covered (i.e. the basic principle of how to create the disk was stated long ago).

Well I'm sorry it isn't working for you, but for me it works flawlessly now, no hangs, nothing, and I'm saving the game without any glitches, so YOU must have done something wrong in the configuration.

I would like a few others to TEST my tut in post #22, just to see if they can get things working too, because if they can, then something is amiss with something you're doing, and not that tut.
Old 23 October 2013, 15:39   #30
shovel

That I am aware of. For instance I don't even know what OS you use. But by appearances of your tut postings I guess it's Win 7. I followed your tutorial to the letter on my final attempt. I actually got 4 disc icons on the bottom of CF of which 4 was the save game disc. I've asked before, but wouldn't this need 1MB? like my old 500 wouldn't work on 512 unless it was upgraded. Just a thought. But now you say it works flawlessly on yours and I guess you only use

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...1&d=1382536043 512.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Config.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	37389  

Last edited by shovel; 23 October 2013 at 15:49.
Old 23 October 2013, 15:56   #31
DH
Global Moderator

I am trying to make this as easy for you as possible, without baffling you with all the extra settings that WinUAE has to offer. Also, you would have to change an option in the AF to enable the classic F12 to be able to activate the WinUAE window.

I have set my config to:-
  1. Model: Amiga 500
  2. CPU: 68000
  3. ROM: Amiga 1.3
  4. Fast: None
  5. Slow: 512 KB
And that's pretty much it. It works for me, so it should work for you too, regardless of your Windows operating system.

If you still can't get it working through Amiga A500, change it too Amiga A1200 instead, and leave the other values at there defaults, run it and enjoy the game, and enjoy the ability to save it too.

Edit: Thread title changes as tbh, this is more to do with saving a game position in Cannon Fodder.

Last edited by DH; 23 October 2013 at 16:12.
Old 23 October 2013, 16:19   #32
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Cannon fodder needs an extended ADF to save under winuae or amiga forever.
It won't work with a normal ADF. An ADF is 880kb, an extended ADF is 2,1mb.
Old 23 October 2013, 16:52   #33
DH
Global Moderator

Ah! maybe shovel didn't format it using the format feature in Cannon Fodder then Thanks dlfrsilver Added to 2 of my previous posts for future reference

Sorry shovel, but I didn't really think I would have needed to tell you that, as the feature is present on the save screen and Toni did mention this earlier, which should have alerted you to format the adf within the game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Not this Cannon Fodder FAQ again

Cannon Fodder save disk must be "custom adf" and CF save disk formatter is buggy, it requires 1M chip RAM or it crashes mid format. (Real A500 confirmed)

Last edited by DH; 23 October 2013 at 17:12.
Old 23 October 2013, 18:38   #34
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

no no, i was not talking about the formatting inside cannon fodder, but the type of the ADF file used. a standard ADF will never work. He needs to create an extended ADF, and then format it with cannon fodder format tool.

EDIT : i looked your tutorial, and the amiga forever interface doesn't seem to be able to create extended ADFs.

He used 880kb adf, which are useless with this game.
Old 23 October 2013, 18:40   #35
DH
Global Moderator

So why have I been able to do this directly using Amiga Forever, which creates a standard adf @ 880k then by formatting it through Cannon Fodder it formats it to the extended adf size?

It works, no doubt about it, I have checked and Cannon Fodder re-formats it to the extended size 100%

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
EDIT : i looked your tutorial, and the amiga forever interface doesn't seem to be able to create extended ADFs.

He used 880kb adf, which are useless with this game.
Indeed AF doesn't allow for creation of extended disks, but nevertheless, the games format does indeed format it to the extended adf size anyway. I have just created an 880k adf embedded in the rp9, which I extracted out, just to make sure, and yes it was 880k, then I used the game format to format it, then checked again, and it has formatted it to the extended size of 1.2MB.

Now I'm gonna try again, but using WinUAE only, to see what happens.

Last edited by DH; 23 October 2013 at 19:14.
Old 23 October 2013, 19:18   #36
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

huh ? i just tried with cannon fodder in IPF, the original, to format a standard ADF disk (size 880kb). Cannon Fodder goes up to track 79, and then crash saying there is a format error.

This is normal since winuae is not actually able to choose itself the size of the ADF to use (normal ADF or extended ADF).

by the way, when you start formatting, Winuae even tells you if you use a standard that the custom format requires an extended ADF.

So no, it doesn't work.
Old 23 October 2013, 19:40   #37
DH
Global Moderator

Well, it does in Amiga Forever, just try it, I'm not kidding you dlfrsilver.

I have uploaded the RP9 I am using to the Zone, which came with Amiga Forever, there is already an 880k adf called 'TEST' that I created. Check it's size and you'll see it's 880k, before attempting to format it through cannon fodder.

I'm using Amiga Forever version 2012.2.3.0.0 Plus Edition, so I guess anything above will do the same.

EDIT: btw, it doesn't work in standalone WinUAE :s So I can only guess it has something to do with AF or the game adf, which may have been modified, idk.

Last edited by DH; 23 October 2013 at 19:45.
Old 23 October 2013, 19:57   #38
shovel

Just to thank you with your patience DH. But at this point in time I definitely have given up. Now my CF has frozen in time, and if it's stuck inside the program as I have edited for the blank tape etc, etc, I had to delete it from my AF list so I could play the game from the Commodore is Awesome site. I thank you for everything, but as you said not every body works the me as the next person. Whatever is topping me from using the ADF blank I'll maybe never know. It must be luck on your side that you even got it to work yourself. But there must be more to it with this ADF thing or it would work for me too.
Thanks again DH, sorry to have wasted your valuable time. It seems though, that all that dlfrsilver has mentioned makes sense from the same problems I've read elsewhere about not able to save games, especially CF.
Old 23 October 2013, 20:17   #39
DH
Global Moderator

You're welcome shovel, but I'm really struggling to know why I can, you can't and dlfrsilver says it won't work.

I'm not doing anything different to what I would normally do, I have explained everything exactly how I have done it, step by step, nothing has changed, yet I can format this sodding 880k adf to the extended adf through Cannon Fodder, without it crashing, hanging or exploding into thin air. I have followed those steps repeatedly and each time i works.

I am not a stupid person, nor nor would I lie to people on here either, what I have done I have done, and I have reported it here with an exact explanation to how I have achieved it.

I feel like I am going absolutely crazy here, and I'm not. I just wish someone else would have the decency to follow those steps and confirm what I have been telling everyone from the start.

It DOES work in Amiga Forever, end of story.
Old 23 October 2013, 20:33   #40
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Confirmed working with your RP9. Did not work for any other RP9 that I made.