English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 20 November 2011, 21:55   #1
ApolloBoy2

New Amiga 500 owner

I used to go by ApolloBoy here, but something happened with the email associated with my old account, so here I am again. Anyway, I used to own an Amiga 1000 a couple of years ago, then I wound up selling it because I couldn't get it to work properly with Amiga Explorer. However, I went to a local computer store yesterday to get some parts for my DOS PC and wound up walking out with a box of Amiga stuff for $20, which included a Amiga 500 and various accessories.

So now what I'd like to know is what upgrades are available for the A500 and how I can play some games without resorting to tracking down the original floppies (which is somewhat expensive since I'm in the US).

BTW, would anyone be interested in an Amiga 1010 or Golden Hawk MIDI Gold 500 interface? I don't really have any use for them and I'd like to give them to someone who would appreciate them.
Old 20 November 2011, 22:14   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBoy2 View Post
I used to go by ApolloBoy here, but something happened with the email associated with my old account, so here I am again.
You now have a duplicate account, which is not allowed on EAB!

What you should have done is logged in using your old Username and Password and edited your Email address from your Control Panel.

If you can do this now, then you will still be able to use your old account.

Then you must PM RCK, the EAB Administrator, who can cancel your duplicate account for you and merge your threads/posts.
Old 20 November 2011, 22:18   #3
ApolloBoy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
You now have a duplicate account, which is not allowed on EAB!

What you should have done is logged in using your old Username and Password and edited your Email address from your Control Panel.
I couldn't log into my old account (forgot my password), hence why I made this one. But thanks for letting me know, I PMed RCK and hopefully this will get fixed up soon.

EDIT: It looks RCK hasn't been on in almost a month, that's odd...

Last edited by ApolloBoy2; 20 November 2011 at 22:27.
Old 20 November 2011, 22:31   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Good luck with that, ApolloBoy.

RCK doesn't have much time these days to frequent the forums, so you may have to wait a while for a reply.

In the meantime, posting your intentions here should prevent you from being banned.

Quote:
I used to own an Amiga 1000 a couple of years ago, then I wound up selling it because I couldn't get it to work properly with Amiga Explorer. However, I went to a local computer store yesterday to get some parts for my DOS PC and wound up walking out with a box of Amiga stuff for $20, which included a Amiga 500 and various accessories.

So now what I'd like to know is what upgrades are available for the A500 and how I can play some games without resorting to tracking down the original floppies (which is somewhat expensive since I'm in the US).

BTW, would anyone be interested in an Amiga 1010 or Golden Hawk MIDI Gold 500 interface? I don't really have any use for them and I'd like to give them to someone who would appreciate them.
What accessories did you get with your Amiga 500? Does it work okay?

You should keep the A1010 external floppy drive, as it could be useful for transferring games disk images you have downloaded to floppy disks for use with your Amiga.
Old 20 November 2011, 22:46   #5
ApolloBoy2

Quote:
In the meantime, posting your intentions here should prevent you from being banned.
Having my old email being zapped from existence and losing my password didn't leave me with much choices, heh. I don't have any intention of starting trouble so I expect this account to be gone once RCK merges it.

Quote:
What accessories did you get with your Amiga 500? Does it work okay?

You should keep the A1010 external floppy drive, as it could be useful for transferring games disk images you have downloaded to floppy disks for use with your Amiga.
I got an AmTRAC Microspeed trackball mouse, the aforementioned A1010 and MIDI interface, and a Wico joystick. The A500 also had an extra 512K installed in the trapdoor slot so I've got 1 MB of RAM as well. It works fine, but without an RGB cable or games I can't really do much with it right now. The only disk I got with it was the first disk of Dynamic Studio and it's practically useless without the other disks. Plus, using it in monochrome composite isn't exactly fun.
Old 20 November 2011, 23:02   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I got an AmTRAC Microspeed trackball mouse, the aforementioned A1010 and MIDI interface, and a Wico joystick. The A500 also had an extra 512K installed in the trapdoor slot so I've got 1 MB of RAM as well. It works fine, but without an RGB cable or games I can't really do much with it right now. The only disk I got with it was the first disk of Dynamic Studio and it's practically useless without the other disks. Plus, using it in monochrome composite isn't exactly fun.
1MB total RAM is nice to have available for playing games. It would have been my first recommendation if it had not been included.

For an RGB cable, look no furher than AmigaKit's SCART TO AMIGA (RGB) CABLE WITH AUDIO:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=226
This is the most compatible cable you could wish for.

It's possible that lost_lemming may be interested in your MIDI interface. See this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61907

I will post back here later with some suggestions for transferring files from your PC to the Amiga, but I need to search some threads first.

By the way, did you get any Workbench disks with the Amiga, and what is the Kickstart version (shown on the screen when you boot without a floppy in the drive)?
Old 21 November 2011, 00:29   #7
ApolloBoy2

Quote:
By the way, did you get any Workbench disks with the Amiga, and what is the Kickstart version (shown on the screen when you boot without a floppy in the drive)?
I didn't get any WB disks and the Kickstart is v1.3.
Old 21 November 2011, 00:45   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Here are some threads to help you with transferring files from your PC to your Amiga:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=27704
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=35434
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37924

Quote:
I didn't get any WB disks
You may not need any, depending on the transfer method you choose, if all you wish to transfer is the occasional disk image, but if you purchase Amiga Forever (available as a download), you will get a full set of Workbench disks as well as the excellent utility Amiga Explorer (mentioned in the above threads).

Quote:
...and the Kickstart is v1.3.
That should do nicely.
Old 23 November 2011, 08:52   #9
ApolloBoy2

What about this?: http://www.students.tut.fi/~leinone3/ide/ide68k.html
Old 23 November 2011, 21:20   #10
CritAnime

Just wanted to say welcome to the mighty Amiga club from the UK
Old 24 November 2011, 14:25   #11
dabone

I've got a dataflyer ide/ram expansion with a 2gb CF card installed for sale. I'm looking to get out if it what I spent, so 150+shipping.
It has 8MB ram installed. That and a kickstart 2 or 3 would make a beginning WHDload machine. And you can take the cf card and mount it on the pc using winuae to transfer software to it.

I'm located in Chattanooga, TN. And the dataflyer comes with box and the manual if I can find where I stuck it.

Later,
dabone
Old 27 November 2011, 22:45   #12
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
welcoming ribbits to the mad place that is EAB

I might be intrested in the midi if the cost of postage is`1t to much, always wanted play with midi but never really known where to start

PM me plz if u want to try and work something out
Old 28 November 2011, 03:58   #13
TjLaZer

you might be interested in getting one of these do you can write images back to a real disk.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 November 2011, 21:54   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
you might be interested in getting one of these do you can write images back to a real disk.

[ Show youtube player ]
Don't be too hasty. IPF images only, ATM.
Old 01 December 2011, 03:35   #15
ApolloBoy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
welcoming ribbits to the mad place that is EAB

I might be intrested in the midi if the cost of postage is`1t to much, always wanted play with midi but never really known where to start

PM me plz if u want to try and work something out
PM sent.
Old 01 December 2011, 09:46   #16
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
\o/ & midi ribbits, I have my fingers crossed
Old 18 February 2012, 20:48   #17
ApolloBoy2

So I managed to get an RGB SCART cable for my A500 but I'm still trying to figure out how to get games running on it without resorting to floppies. So far I'm divided between finding an internal IDE controller or spending big bucks on an HxC. Thoughts?
Old 18 February 2012, 20:52   #18
CritAnime

I have the HxC and its awesome. They can be mounted internally or if you look on the mods forum you can see an external case design. But the device is awesome. I had my doubts but they went the moment I used it.
Old 18 February 2012, 20:58   #19
A500Man

Well,

next to the HCX there is the Kryoflux:

http://www.kryoflux.com/

CU,
A500Man
Old 18 February 2012, 21:39   #20
ApolloBoy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A500Man View Post
Well,

next to the HCX there is the Kryoflux:

http://www.kryoflux.com/

CU,
A500Man
Problem with the Kryoflux though is that it seems to be just as expensive as the HxC and I would still have to make floppies, something I want to avoid.