English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 December 2020, 23:51   #1
Jobbo

A1200 Maintenance in Massachusetts

Hi hardware experts

I have my original PAL A1200 here in Lexington MA and so far it's been working okay by plugging the old UK power supply into a cheap PowerBright transformer.

However, I've noticed that it takes quite a long time for the power supply to get going and I've read a little about capacitors leaking.

So, I'd like some advice on how I can keep my A1200 going. Do I need a new power supply? Does it need recapped?

Does anyone know some place they would recommend in the Boston area for repairs?

Thanks!
Old 17 December 2020, 00:20   #2
lesta_smsc

If it takes a long time for PSU to get going... it would worth checking the voltages using multimeter. Issue could lie with the transformer or the actual Amiga PSU.

The recap is always handy for the Amigas but also their PSU particularly if you're getting problem with voltages.

Do you have another transformer to test with?
Old 17 December 2020, 01:07   #3
Jobbo

I don't have a multi-meter or soldering-iron or any experience trying to fix anything like this.

So if the advice is that I need to get some work done then I'm hoping to find someone locally with the expertise.

Don't have another transformer either.

I suppose what I need is opinions on what is recommended and then I can try to figure out how to get that work done.
Old 17 December 2020, 14:20   #4
tiim

@Jobbo, I am near you, just in case...

Anyway, you can simply use a US/Canadian A500 PSU with your A1200. The A500 PSU's had higher load capacity than the A1200 ones did. The voltages at the motherboard expect +12, -12 and +5 volts, which are universal DC voltages. The clock cycle difference of 50/60 Hz only matters on the AC-side which the Amiga does not use.

You should be totally fine with using an A500 PSU, which can be had for less than a king's ransom (for now) on eBay.

As far as maintenance, I am not a professional shop, but I do have professional tools and equipment for PCB/SMD work I do in the industrial automation realm. ATM, I am leery of screwing up someone's Amiga until I have re-capped a few of my own. I just got done with my PAL CD32 (works great again!) and am trying to fix my own PAL A1200 (black screen woes).

There are some established businesses in the UK that advertise "recap service" on ebay. I suspect these guys are reliable and honest.

Tim

Last edited by tiim; 17 December 2020 at 14:26.
Old 17 December 2020, 14:49   #5
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
A1200? Recap is imminent!
Old 17 December 2020, 18:39   #6
Jobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiim View Post
@Jobbo, I am near you, just in case...

Anyway, you can simply use a US/Canadian A500 PSU with your A1200. The A500 PSU's had higher load capacity than the A1200 ones did. The voltages at the motherboard expect +12, -12 and +5 volts, which are universal DC voltages. The clock cycle difference of 50/60 Hz only matters on the AC-side which the Amiga does not use.

You should be totally fine with using an A500 PSU, which can be had for less than a king's ransom (for now) on eBay.

As far as maintenance, I am not a professional shop, but I do have professional tools and equipment for PCB/SMD work I do in the industrial automation realm. ATM, I am leery of screwing up someone's Amiga until I have re-capped a few of my own. I just got done with my PAL CD32 (works great again!) and am trying to fix my own PAL A1200 (black screen woes).

There are some established businesses in the UK that advertise "recap service" on ebay. I suspect these guys are reliable and honest.

Tim

Thanks Tim

Sounds like you are much more confident than I would be so I might have to call on you sometime. Let me know how it goes with your A1200.

I see Amigakit has recap kits, are those good and worth getting?

I'll see if I can find any A500 PSUs.
Old 17 December 2020, 19:05   #7
4pLaY
www.resistance.no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobbo View Post
I'll see if I can find any A500 PSUs.
I would not waste money on one of those old PSUs, who knows how long it will last, there are new ones made and sold several places.

Seeing as you are in the US, this guy might be a good person to contact:

https://carlsenelectronics.net/#custompsu
Old 17 December 2020, 20:05   #8
tiim

I agree with 4pLaY and I totally forgot about Ray Carlsen. I use his PSU's for Amiga and C64/128's on my test bench. For my main A1200 or A500 PSU, I still use my original Commodore A500 switching-type PSU. Ordering from Ray is as simple as emailing him your requirements and paying him. You will receive a top-quality piece back in a week or two.

The Amigakit recap kits are worth getting if you are going to do this yourself. It is not as easy as it looks on YouTube! The best methods are soldering tweezers or hot air rework. I prefer the hot air method with Kapton tape myself, as my tweezers are cheap junk from Amazon. NEVER, EVER twist the caps off the board! I still need more SMD re-work practice, but I think I'll be pretty good at this soon.