English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 May 2008, 12:03   #1
andrewwan1980

Another World

1. The bit after the falling rocks & ceiling-tentacles... and after the flooding of the swimming pool.. when you swim down the swimming pool and in the small cave there's a long vertical blue wire... lol I though something was wrong with my screen since it looks like a column of dead pixels.

We shoot this wire and it stops glowing... anyone know the significance of this? Next am gonna load up that level and play throughout without shooting the blue wire to see what happens.

2. Also, the bit in the castle in the 2nd recharge room (after the grunt rolling the glowing bombs bit). Off to the right you see a small window looking into another room's ceiling, with hanging green light shades... again, whether we shoot or not shoot ht lamp shade, any significance of this bit?

3. This game is so cool & original at the time (1991). Anyone gonna make a flash film/animation out of Another World? Would be so cool. (besides this cool one: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/14430)

Old 22 May 2008, 12:19   #2
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Been too long since I've played this, but the blue wire probably powers some door, deactivating it probably means the aliens can't open the door to kill you at some point as there's a puzzle like this early in the game.

The bit with the chandelier, you're suppose to examine the reflection, you can see the guard walking underneath it, shoot at the right moment and it will land on his head killing or disabling the alien.
Old 22 May 2008, 14:23   #3
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i already answered this, almost identically to Belg, but for the same post on pspuae.com

the reflection point refered to, i am sure is at the centre of the lamp.
Old 22 May 2008, 16:20   #4
andrewwan1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Been too long since I've played this, but the blue wire probably powers some door, deactivating it probably means the aliens can't open the door to kill you at some point as there's a puzzle like this early in the game.

The bit with the chandelier, you're suppose to examine the reflection, you can see the guard walking underneath it, shoot at the right moment and it will land on his head killing or disabling the alien.
Aha! Cheers.

Old 22 May 2008, 17:50   #5
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
1. If I remember correctly, shooting the blue wires locks the first doors in the corridor you have to fall down to and run through (the one that leads to a dead end but your buddy grabs you from above and then you enter that vehicle and go in the coliseum).

So if you don't shoot the blue wire, when you land on that corridor you are immediatly shot to death, whereas if you shoot it the enemies have to make power shots to break the door (as they will for the following doors).

2. If I remember correctly (once again) that chandelier thing was useful but not mandatory in the amiga version: you could kill the enemy quite easily. But on other versions if he was not killed with it, he would inevitably kill you.
Old 25 May 2008, 10:48   #6
laffer
Zone Friend

You should get the 'new' PC version.. it's pretty good and it's cool seeing it with high-res backgrounds. Pretty cool version.
Old 25 May 2008, 11:12   #7
frikilokooo

isn't the 3DO version the best of all?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	476
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	16689
Old 25 May 2008, 12:05   #8
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
You should get the 'new' PC version.. it's pretty good and it's cool seeing it with high-res backgrounds. Pretty cool version.
Cool! I didn't even know it existed!

Quote:
Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition

- Limited 15th Anniversary Collectors Edition
- CGW rated ANOTHER WORLD 'Its Highest Rated Game Ever!
- Play in High Definition 2048 X 1536 Resolution
- Redesigned game-play by original author ERIC CHAHI
- Music and SFX re-recorded by the original composer
- Totally customisable by the player

Definitely going to get this!

Steve.
Old 25 May 2008, 14:37   #9
Macca
Zone Friend

I have it. It's basically the same version (so if you have completed the Amgia version then you'll know how to complete this - there's no real suprises).

It's good - don't get me wrong - but it doesn't really add anything to it (i.e. new levels, different ending, etc).

M.
Old 25 May 2008, 16:11   #10
laffer
Zone Friend

There is a demo on the site though so you can see for yourself. I thought it was pretty cool.. Macca is right about there no being new stuff though, it's mostly for the higher resolution.
Old 26 May 2008, 00:21   #11
RickyC

The new one is on youtube - [ Show youtube player ]

But yeah, should try demo to see all its glory!
Old 26 May 2008, 23:51   #12
andrewwan1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
The new one is on youtube - [ Show youtube player ]

But yeah, should try demo to see all its glory!
Yeah, the youtube video demos are nice. But i was thinking along the lines of: [ Show youtube player ] where you actually make some nice featured-length movie, based or remake of Another World.... no dialogue needed.. just nice directing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
It's good - don't get me wrong - but it doesn't really add anything to it (i.e. new levels, different ending, etc).

M.
Different ending? Really?

Old 27 May 2008, 03:11   #13
laffer
Zone Friend

Read the sentence again - he said - ".. it doesn't really add anything to it (i.e. new levels, different ending, etc)".

Old 27 May 2008, 06:56   #14
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Read the sentence again - he said - ".. it doesn't really add anything to it (i.e. new levels, different ending, etc)".

Not just that, it looks strange in high resolution (if you ask me). The lack of detail in high res makes it look much worse than in 320x200 on Amiga back then. They should of added more detail if they went for higher res...
Old 27 May 2008, 07:02   #15
laffer
Zone Friend

You do have a point there... but I still think it's a pretty cool version. You can lower the resolution to match the A500 one if you want to

Anyway, here is a screen taken from the demo -

Old 27 May 2008, 07:48   #16
frikilokooo

some pics of 3DO version:

Old 27 May 2008, 08:13   #17
Macca
Zone Friend

Personally the max resolution you want to play it in is 1024x768 anything bigger than that and it looks stupid (doesnt look grat even at this).

It's good for those people who can't be bothered with an emulator...

M.
Old 27 May 2008, 09:46   #18
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
isn't the 3DO version the best of all?
No.

This is what Eric Chahi has to say about the 3D0 version (from his website):

Quote:
3D0 version
Still developed by Interplay, it benefits from very detailed bitmap backgrounds.
It's not an aesthetic achievement because, as mentioned above, backgrounds are overworked compared to the animations that are made of polygons and thus appear to be flat.
Music had been remade completely, out goes Jean-François and I didn't have my say or the energy to fight, as I was precisely in the "heart of darkness": I still ignored then that this development was to last six years...
I'd recommend visiting the link above to read what he says about the Amiga and PC versions. It's quite interesting.

Steve.
Old 27 May 2008, 10:54   #19
tomcat666
Retro Freak

"3D0 version
Still developed by Interplay, it benefits from very detailed bitmap backgrounds.
It's not an aesthetic achievement because, as mentioned above, backgrounds are overworked compared to the animations that are made of polygons and thus appear to be flat."

He could say the same (to an ever bigger extent) about the newest "High resolution collectors edition" version...
Why go through the trouble of updating the backgrounds and leaving polygons exactly the same as they were ?
Old 27 May 2008, 11:25   #20
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
"3D0 version
It's not an aesthetic achievement because, as mentioned above, backgrounds are overworked compared to the animations that are made of polygons and thus appear to be flat."

He could say the same (to an ever bigger extent) about the newest "High resolution collectors edition" version...
Why go through the trouble of updating the backgrounds and leaving polygons exactly the same as they were ?
yes