Banned

For me, I like the Turrican series in this order:

1. Turrican 2
2. Turrican 3
3. Turrican 1
Old 28 July 2009, 20:08   #62
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i'm not very keen on the series but i do prefer Turrican 1... i just found it easier to pick up and try out, whereas playing T2 it felt like you were supposed to just 'know' Turrican. Not being into the series at all, that kind of bugged me. I guess that could just be seen as 'because it's easier'

more importantly... why no poll??
Old 28 July 2009, 20:12   #63
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
i'm not very keen on the series but i do prefer Turrican 1... i just found it easier to pick up and try out, whereas playing T2 it felt like you were supposed to just 'know' Turrican. Not being into the series at all, that kind of bugged me. I guess that could just be seen as 'because it's easier'

more importantly... why no poll??
Maybe because the poster's reason for posting here was only to find out if he was alone in liking Turrican 1 better than 2. It wasn't about what game everyone prefers. But I guess if the poll didn't include Turrican 3, then the poll could be more valid to his question.
Old 28 July 2009, 21:36   #64
DH
Global Moderator

AB Positive is a young lady
Old 28 July 2009, 21:48   #65
Photon

OK, impressive range of platforms for the code monkeys, even if the big systems are missing! As for the titles, well... a few good ones and the rest easy for any studio, I think.

Edit: Was gonna try T1 on "Genesis" emu when I went, "Oh. Megadrive". Well, I should hope it's better! The hardware is 4 years newer.

Also, DemonHellRaiser. What's with the silly sig? Describing an undefined group of people with their for-sure always the same characteristics? More vague than racism FCOL

Last edited by Photon; 28 July 2009 at 22:01. Reason: american english i hear what you say but dont know what you mean. (c) crap songs
Old 28 July 2009, 21:51   #66
s2325
Zone Friend

I don't know why but worst Turrican games are on Amstrad CPC. Near everything is different, choppy & slow...
Old 28 July 2009, 22:37   #67
Photon

You're looking for the why? Well, are there lower spec platforms? I mean, that have any hope whatsoever to run the title
Old 28 July 2009, 22:46   #68
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
....Also, DemonHellRaiser. What's with the silly sig? Describing an undefined group of people with their for-sure always the same characteristics? More vague than racism FCOL
It's a long storey Photon, one that I'll choose to keep under my own belt for now
Old 28 July 2009, 23:00   #69
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
OK, impressive range of platforms for the code monkeys, even if the big systems are missing! As for the titles, well... a few good ones and the rest easy for any studio, I think.

Edit: Was gonna try T1 on "Genesis" emu when I went, "Oh. Megadrive". Well, I should hope it's better! The hardware is 4 years newer.
Can't wait to hear what Photon thinks about the Genesis/MD version. I mean the hardware is 4 years newer
Old 28 July 2009, 23:06   #70
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The hardware isn't important. A good programmer (team) pushes every machine to its limit. Or Accolade said "Ok guys, we want it in 3 weeks".
Old 29 July 2009, 00:08   #71
Photon

So um, I'm guessing TCD has some relation to code monkeys? Either way, to repeat myself, big machines are missing and mostly ports of smaller titles. However, adapting to the hardware of so many platforms as that is still big, make no mistake, and something that is worthy of respect in my mind. If the titles aren't utter shite, that is.

Damn you, teaser!! OK then, wasn't gonna, but I will get the damn emu!! hehe

As for Amiga, I always enjoyed T1&T2 more than T3, T2 being the winner for me. It's all Metroid ripoffs/spinoffs ofc, however more enjoyable and less irritating/frustrating. BY FAR.
Old 29 July 2009, 00:19   #72
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
So um, I'm guessing TCD has some relation to code monkeys?
Not at all Have a look for yourself and maybe also have a look at Universal Soldier too.
Old 29 July 2009, 00:48   #73
Photon

Megadrive version of Turrican looked about the same and played about the same. Couldn't really find a difference in the graphics except the lightning flickered on Megadrive and title screen looked nicer on Amiga, but maybe that's just me. Sound on Megadrive was Yamaha-ish rather than anal-samplish, no big difference. No sound when getting hit tho, bummer...

No load times is a plus, ofc

Not too far behind Amiga in other words, (c) Amiga fanboy, hehe.
Old 29 July 2009, 00:54   #74
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Megadrive version of Turrican looked about the same and played about the same.
I doubt that. The controls are much better in the Amiga version. Turrican is designed/optimized for joystick control. The Code Monkey took the same jump mechanics and added only a jump-button. Together with the increased difficulty level (probably caused due the NTSC 60 FPS) it's nearly unplayble.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 29 July 2009 at 02:05.
Old 29 July 2009, 05:56   #75
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
AB Positive is a young lady
I dunno if 27 is still 'young'... ehehehe. And, I do swear like a sailor so I guess the decision's yours
Old 29 July 2009, 08:00   #76
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
I dunno if 27 is still 'young'... ehehehe. And, I do swear like a sailor so I guess the decision's yours
Couldn't get any better then this!
Old 29 July 2009, 08:17   #77
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I doubt that. The controls are much better in the Amiga version. Turrican is designed/optimized for joystick control. The Code Monkey took the same jump mechanics and added only a jump-button. Together with the increased difficulty level (probably caused due the NTSC 60 FPS) it's nearly unplayble.
That and the GFX look not as good. The sound is just awful (yes, I know you can't compare it with the Amiga sound, but there's much better sound on the MD ). So the version is rubbish, even on 4 year newer hardware
Old 29 July 2009, 09:18   #78
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
[...]even on 4 year newer hardware
The sound-chip of the MegaDrive is the main CPU of Amstrad CPCs (Zilog Z80a) - so that part is definitely older than the Amiga's sound chip Paula.
Old 29 July 2009, 09:25   #79
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You mean that Photon lied?
Old 29 July 2009, 10:40   #80
john4p
Competition Moderator

No, because the Mega Drive's graphics chip is "four years newer" and superior (for games) to the Amiga OCS ones (even if the Amiga OCS' 12bit-colour palette is eight times as big as the Mega Drive's 9bit-palette):

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Mega Drive has a dedicated VDP (Video Display Processor) for background graphic and sprite control. This is an improved version of the Sega Master System VDP, which in turn is derived from the Texas Instruments TMS9918. Images can be output at 256 pixels (32 tiles) or 320 pixels (40 tiles) across and 224 scanlines (28 tiles) or 240 scanlines (30 tiles) down. The 240-line resolutions are only used on 50 Hz (i.e. PAL) displays, as the extra lines end up in the overscan of a 60 Hz (NTSC) signal.

NTSC games use the 224-line resolution to free up more vertical blanking time to send more updates to the VDP. Colors are chosen from a total of 512 possible colors, 3 bits per RGB; some games used a small amount of flicker to simulate more colors. Graphics consist of up to 80 sprites on screen and three background planes (Window, ScrollA, ScrollB), two of which (ScrollA and Window) share the same screen space. Palettes are stored in color RAM (CRAM) and consist of 16 colors each for a total of 64 colors.[64][67]
Thus:

1. skateblind (1)
1. Retro-Nerd (1)
1. Photon (1)
4. no entry yet (0)
5. no entry yet (0)