English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 25 June 2016, 21:37   #21
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Ooh, Steam Sale is now on, Satellite Reign for £7.58, Elite: Dangerous for £13.39 and Elite: Dangerous Horizons expansion (for landing on planets etc.) £13.39...
@Daedalus is Engineers expansion on Stram?
(Btw, we seem to have a similar taste in gaming. Elite Dangerous and Satellite Reign are two (of few) games I backed on kickstarter ;-)

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 25 June 2016, 22:31   #22
BippyM

I'm tempted with elite, cities skyline, doom and ufo 2

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 27 June 2016, 12:54   #23
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
@Daedalus is Engineers expansion on Stram?
Engineers is part of Horizons, so it comes with that, and any further expansions for Horizons (there are 2 more planned IIRC) will also be available to anyone with the main Horizons expansion when they're released.

Quote:
(Btw, we seem to have a similar taste in gaming. Elite Dangerous and Satellite Reign are two (of few) games I backed on kickstarter ;-)
Nice I wish I had more time for gaming, but with my limited time they're the ones that get the attention.
Old 02 July 2016, 05:02   #24
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Well, got ED yesterday, and did some tutorials last night and later did just bit flying around... I have to say ... I love this game... (got pack with Horizons)

Still have to get throttle and joystick... used x360 gamepad, and still well organized and took a bit to lean key combinations...
Old 05 July 2016, 14:35   #25
Daedalus

Cool, and welcome I'm not on all that much but feel free to add me in-game if you ever want a hand or someone to go hunting with. Daedalus2097 is my in-game handle.

Some people swear by a 360 controller, others (including myself) a stick and throttle setup, and others still are happy with keyboard and mouse. My brother is quite an accomplished player and only ever uses a keyboard and mouse so give it a go for a while - you might find you don't need a stick setup after all. If you do though, I got a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS-X. It's cheap and excellent kit for the money, still using it well over a year later.
Old 05 July 2016, 17:18   #26
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Well, played it a bit more, got used to key combination (default) and did little exploring into options. Will try voice attack and ROCCAT Power Grid, before finding what joystick/throttle I will get. At moment looking at Saitek x52, mid-range. Will see if I can find one around to check before ordering it/buying it if price is right.

Not sure if you have used voice attack, seems very cool, giving vocal commands for example - request docking.

Got first couple bounties and will soon have enough to get Viper or Cobra. (not sure which one first, or what I will do more, bounty hunting or trading)

Will add you, but for now, playing only in solo games.

Still not sure what this Engineers things is all about...

Did 2 missions where I had to use SRV, one of them even had to fight to be able to collect items.

So far really positive experience, learning curve is bit steep, there is many commands and key combinations, but overall - great game.

ps. Not sure if this is because I got Horizons pack or Commander pack, but as soon as I started I got mission for 10K to report to different system. Something like easier start.
Old 05 July 2016, 18:52   #27
Daedalus

Cool, not sure what that one was either, but nice

The engineers are interesting, letting you mod various ship parts for increased effectiveness. You make friends with an engineer and get them the materials they list and they carry out the mods for you. I wouldn't worry about it for a while yet anyway since you'll be soon moving on from your ship and generally the mods won't be much use to you then. Wait until you've a ship you're gonna spend some time in and look into it then.

Yeah, I haven't tried VoiceAttack yet, though it's an impressive bit of software.

Well, enjoy anyway
Old 05 July 2016, 19:40   #28
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Roccat Power Grid works nice, but one grid I downloaded had only 2/3 buttons that worked. I am looking at single button command for gear, scoop and docking request. (it might overlap with Voice Attack, which I will try in next couple days) I have an old dorid x phone I might use as side display/control.

I downloaded voice attack free set, but saw some paid voice attack packs - seems really interesting and fun. (like having AI on-board )

So, what system(s) are you around... any spaceport to recomend with nice collection of ships/equipment??
Old 05 July 2016, 23:35   #29
Daedalus

Yeah, the Power Grid is a good idea too, you can never have too many buttons

I'm currently up in Morgor, but just wandered up here recently gathering materials and bounty hunting with a friend so I don't really know the area too well. This particular system doesn't have much at all it has to be said. Generally the high population, high tech systems have the best selection of equipment and ships, and stations in Li Yong-Rui controlled space offer a 15% discount on all outfitting. Diaguandri is a system in that area with pretty good outfitting IIRC, and apparently in a state of civil war too if you wanna try your hand in a conflict zone...

A couple of systems offer discounts on ships too, one that springs to mind is Alioth. It's the capital of the Alliance so you'll need a permit to get there, but they had a 15% discount on Asps and Orcas in Irkutsk station last I was there. Pretty station with reasonable outfitting too from what I remember...

Last edited by Daedalus; 05 July 2016 at 23:47.
Old 06 July 2016, 13:37   #30
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I am kind of in wondering what should I do... At the moment all internal component except thruster on my Sidewinder are grade A, making it a somewhat decent for some easy missions, but not best for fighting, nor best for exploration or mining. (only 2 cargo holds thanks to SRV housing) With this setup, can make up to 12.1ly jumps and can make +30 miles on full tanks. Of course, this makes 30K insurance cost, which is quite a lot at this stage. (sure, I don't get killed too quick either, thanks to improvements. )

Thinking to get either Eagle or Viper just to practice dog fighting at some beacon, with not too priced equipment to lower cost. I am close to get Cobra Mk. III, but might hold on that for purpose of practicing bit more, before getting any bigger and less maneuverable ship. (Viper MK4 seems close to Cobra Mk III )

Any suggestions?

ps. Docking is quite fun... sometimes just turns wrong way... Had once mixed platform and did not clear it in time... before I knew I was evaporated...
Old 06 July 2016, 16:26   #31
Daedalus

To be honest, thrusters are one of the first things I max out when I get a new ship - they'll make it feel like a totally different machine and will help you out in combat by letting you turn tighter and boost faster. The Eagle is a great little ship, very manoeuvrable and an extra weapons hardpoint over the Sidewinder, but possibly less sturdy and more prone to overheating. Personally I got an Adder instead as an upgrade to the Sidewinder - more robust in combat, 3 weapons points (with the 3rd being a bigger size than the Eagle's), decent cargo space for doing transport missions and reasonable to fly. The view from the windscreen isn't the best, but generally it's a great, cheap little ship for making cash. I still have mine, I liked it so much!

The Viper III is a great ship for pure combat, definitely worth a look if you have the cash. I would make sure you at least upgrade your thrusters and distributor before it comes into its own, and bear in mind it will need careful power management when it's upgraded. The Viper IV is bigger and heavier so it loses some of the advantages, though it suffers less from power management issues as it has a bigger power plant. I'd say the Cobra III is a better bet than the Viper IV though, having similar agility but a lot more cargo space.

If you're selling your Sidewinder to buy another ship, be sure to sell off all your modules first - that way you get their full value back. If you sell them together with the ship you lose 10% of their value.

Yeah, no ship can stand up to a station's own weapons for more than a few seconds - always good to be careful
Old 06 July 2016, 19:33   #32
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Yep, saw some youtube videos, and they mentioned to make sure you sell everything you can, to lower ship value, so you end with less penalty.

I think for now I will hold on Sidewinder for moving around, while I setup an Eagle (cheap test for gunning ) and possible Adder for some trading. I did get Adder and sold it back, just to see how it looks/flies.

Saw Troa Barton video where he sets up Adder without guns just for trade... worked well for him until he got Cobra. His channel is quite interesting and has lots of information, specially latest videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkc...zA9Bp_VfszM2ZQ
Old 07 July 2016, 09:58   #33
Daedalus

Fair enough, it's hard to argue with the price of an Eagle for semi-disposable fun I've flown lots of ships but always come back to the Cobra - it's my favourite ship all round. I still have my Adder, an Imperial Eagle and an Asp for a change, but sold everything else I had. It's good to try out the different ships though, they've done a good job of making them feel unique.
Old 07 July 2016, 14:07   #34
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I agree, got Viper just to hear rasp sound of engine... they really did great job making it feel different.

Well, for some progress, now everything on sidewinder is grade A, was able to squeeze it just under the max power. Did some boom data transfers and some express cargo deliveries in radius of 100 ly to make more then I had before final touches on Sidewinder.

While doing it, finally found port with 11 ships in shipyard, I might make it home base for little while...

Still have to go long way to get higher rank and get more friendly with federation...

ps. Probably should ask TCD to separate this into it's own topic.
Old 08 July 2016, 18:02   #35
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Well, purchased Voice Attack and installed free Ripley Galactic profile. Wow, this gives game another meaning... so easy just to say jump to perform action, or guns to get hardpoints out... love it.

Here is Eagle setup I am working on:

[Eagle]
S: 1G/T Pulse Laser
S: 1G/G Multi-cannon
S: 1G/T Multi-cannon
U: 0D Kill Warrant Scanner

BH: 1I Military Grade Composite
RB: 2A Power Plant
TM: 3A Thrusters
FH: 3A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 1D Life Support
PC: 2A Power Distributor