English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 December 2017, 08:49   #21
Cpt. Hindsight

I don't know if the price discussion is fair. The only legal way to get those games on your RPi would be:

- buy RPi 3 with a controller
- buy Retrode 2
- buy 20 cartridges

Believe me, this will be a lot more expensive than the SNES Mini. I don't want to start a discussion about legal or illegal ways to play these games, but of course downloading a rom is cheaper than buying. I just think that the comparision is unfair.

btw: Is Star Fox 2 any good?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 December 2017, 09:14   #22
Amigajay
醉拳

Yeah I think £80 is decent for a Snes mini, if you break it down and say £10 per controller, then £40 for the unit, that’s only £20 for 21 games, which in comparison of around £5 each game on virtual console (£105) that’s a good deal imo.
Old 21 December 2017, 22:13   #23
MickGyver

The SNES mini is a nice device, you get two good controllers (dpad is good), some legal games, plus you can easily add more games, even from other systems. There seems to be less input lag on the SNES mini compared to running a Super Nintendo emulator on the Raspberry Pi (this is just from my non scientific testing though).
Old 26 December 2017, 00:21   #24
rare_j
Zone Friend

It is expensive but I think it helps that the unit has a very strong line up of games built in.
Mine arrived a few days ago. A snes for christmas. Lovely. Sometimes Nintendo do deliver.
Old 07 January 2018, 11:17   #25
steviebwoy

I've got one and would love to get SWOS running on it. Has anyone had any joy with getting an Amiga emulator to work with it?
Old 07 January 2018, 11:48   #26
idrougge

For that price, you can get a real SNES and an Everdrive from China.
Old 07 January 2018, 11:50   #27
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
For that price, you can get a real SNES and an Everdrive from China.
True but then your stuck with snes only games. Ses mini mod allows you to run retroarch.
Old 07 January 2018, 13:33   #28
rare_j
Zone Friend

You'd also need an old crt tv or some sort of expensive video processing solution to get a decent picture. Snes mini comes with an hdmi cable. Also come with two new controllers.
Old 07 January 2018, 13:58   #29
coder76

I had an opportunity to test this SNES mini, but didnt like it. The games look very blocky on a modern LCD display, almost like C64 games. This is because SNES has a 256x240 resolution in most games. Even games like Amiga Hybris looked better on UAE, despite having less colors.
Old 07 January 2018, 14:46   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
....Everdrive from China
I would never buy the cloned China crap. Lously quality. Always the original from Krikzz.

The Mini has a mediocre emulator. If you want a SNES on a modern display you need something like the upcoming Super Nt from Analogue. Yes, it costs much more (especiallly with a SNES flashcart) but it seems the better solution.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/
Old 07 January 2018, 15:00   #31
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I would never buy the cloned China crap. Lously quality. Always the original from Krikzz.
Understandable, I sort of understand why people recommend the SD2SNES instead.

Nevertheless, it gives you a genuine SNES experience for a price equal to or lower than Nintendo's overpriced emulator.
I've also spoiled my SNES with a 8Bitdo wireless controller, which I can really recommend. It feels almost identical to the original, far from the China controllers.
Old 07 January 2018, 15:12   #32
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I've also spoiled my SNES with a 8Bitdo wireless controller, which I can really recommend
Definitely. Bought a SFC30 last year and it's one of the best 3rd party controller ever. Just waiting for my SF30 Pro to arrive.
Old 07 January 2018, 16:50   #33
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Ses mini mod allows you to run retroarch.
...and so what???

See this thread / quote regarding "Retroarch" from the legendary MAMEDev; Haze:

Welcome to 2018, What’s Going On?

Related quote from above:

Quote:
The only real negative I can take from the last year is how the likes of Retroarch seem to be gaining popularity while offering a really bad MAME experience due to the rather unfortunate lowest-common denominator user-base target it has. I still struggle to find any positives in that model, it’s like having a really invasive front-end that ends up causing various features of the emulator to not even work properly, and even then the front-end isn’t even good if there’s a large amount of content or for any kind of special cases. I guess I hope that people start to realise that, and see that the emulators as the original authors present them usually offer a better experience, at least for anything that’s still being actively developed. It might be a ‘quick’ way to get started, but with emulation you get what you put in, and it’s also starting to become an annoying source of false bug reports. I also still think it’s damaging model in terms of emulation development, because people forget how important it is to develop high quality emulation cores that work for all cases because instead they’ve got something that just glues partial per-case implementations together, none of which are actually 100% correct. For the long term future of this hobby it’s important to develop high quality code that can be reused with ease, and such a model discourages that, it’s the opposite of MAME. I’d also say that a lot of the recent (and very impressive) work in MAME has been on areas that just seem to get stripped away, or become non-functional when you use such software, and I think a large part of the future of MAME is the software we have that surrounds the core emulation. Anyway, that’s enough of a rant about that, let’s look forward to what 2018 brings.
Retroarch is evil!!!!
Old 07 January 2018, 16:53   #34
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Actually RetroN5 and co are evil!

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/a...ry-in-general/

Quote:
it’s the opposite of MAME.
Mame is full of drama queens. The main reason why the best fork Mame Plus was discontinued a few years ago.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 07 January 2018 at 17:00.
Old 07 January 2018, 18:18   #35
jotd
Cat freak

Maybe repeating/confirming what has been said earlier:

I confirm that it's very difficult to make Retroarch cohabit with MAME. Other "lr-*" emulators are fine, but with make it just doesn't cut it.

Besides, on the Pi, the only playable version is Mame4all which is very old (but at least the speed is good).

You have to re-do the config in MAME when it works straight away from other emus.

So the quest of "all in one" emulators on RasPi with every controller (preferably hot-plugged) is just as annoying and tiresome as on the PC. I'll stick to the PC for some games (Mortal Kombat series).

The good strategy: build 1 SD card per emulator & controller type. If you're lazy, build 1 raspi machine per emulator & controller type & never change anything

That said, if you want to create the same machine as SNES mini, you have to buy

- 2 USB SNES joys (the ones from Alibaba are cheap but also look cheap, I bought 10$ ones which look solid)
- A Raspi 3
- A raspi 3 box
- HDMI cable
- transformer & power cord

All added, I think it amounts to roughly 100 euro

Not to mention the legal ROM issue... (ok, who cares?)

So SNES mini doesn't seem so bad
Old 07 January 2018, 20:06   #36
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Mame is full of drama queens.
Yeah maybe so Retro but this will happen when there are numerous talented people working together and they have different ideas / don't always agree...

Look at the Amiga "vampire" debacle and the arguments that continually occur in all Amiga forums everywhere

Anyway, I have a lot of respect for the many original MAMEDevs who have spent close to 2 decades now improving things

Ok, I sometimes don't agree with the direction taken; like adding MESS

...but at the end of the day, it's their project and I enjoy using it!!!

Not to mention being absolutely free.
Old 08 January 2018, 16:13   #37
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Understandable, I sort of understand why people recommend the SD2SNES instead.
I have a Super Everdrive v2, I couldn't justify the extra cost of the SD2SNES because it doesn't do SuperFX emulation (yet, maybe never). I really recommend it, but NOT buying the clone shit from China, for a simple reason: it's a punch in the face of krikkz, without whom we would have no Everdrives in the first place.

It took me a very long time to save up money to get the Super Everdrive from krikkz (and the Everdrive MD and Mega Everdrive before it) but it's worth it, and you support a great independent developer. I will probably get an Everdrive from krikkz for every machine I own, eventually.

Sorry for the rant, I just can't shut up when people buy bootleg shit of stuff made by independent creators. Don't do that.

Going back in topic, then, with everything I purchased (a Super Famicom set with two controllers for about $40 plus the Super Everdrive at $86 plus a shitty DSP1 donor cart for $10), it amounts to as much as scalpers ask for a SNES mini, but it's all original hardware, and I only miss on a few games (the special chip ones). So it's also a viable option!
AdSense AdSense