English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 08 February 2010, 11:14   #21
Graham Humphrey

I didn't mind the sand one too much. The fog level I find irritating. But I haven't made it out of the marsh track alive just yet. I always run out of time when I miss one of those little 'extra time' pods. Don't really understand why that's in there for, seems a bit out of place.

Also is it just me or is the lack of any sort of lap indicators really annoying? I hate not knowing how far away from the next checkpoint I am or how many there are left to go. I think it's an odd omission from a driving game, particularly when the other two Lotus games have them.
Old 08 February 2010, 14:27   #22
john4p
Competition Moderator

Very first go (played with keyboard). Also failed in the swamp of sorrows:

Since by reaching this stage I retrieved the password BAGLEY I'll now use it to practice the track and especially memorize the position of the time capsules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF
I come in peace, but what exactly is different about this game than the one we played 2 seasons ago, was it?
It's completely different: in Lotus 3 you drive on the right side (German/French/American style) in the highway-scenario while in Lotus 2 you drive on the left side (British/Japanese style).

Last edited by john4p; 08 February 2010 at 14:35.
Old 08 February 2010, 14:48   #23
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Also is it just me or is the lack of any sort of lap indicators really annoying? I hate not knowing how far away from the next checkpoint I am or how many there are left to go. I think it's an odd omission from a driving game, particularly when the other two Lotus games have them.
I agree, but tend not to concentrate much in that. More in keeping your eyes on the road and avoiding all that obstacles as much as possible and those drunk drivers also, who keep pissing you with their bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
It's completely different: in Lotus 3 you drive on the right side (German/French/American style) in the highway-scenario while in Lotus 2 you drive on the left side (British/Japanese style).
Yes you're right. Honestly, is much easier driving in opposite hand, if you have too much opponents in the left hand drive, because you can avoid easily those white Lotus coming to you. You can see them in the distance and where they are coming.
Old 08 February 2010, 15:38   #24
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Old 08 February 2010, 15:58   #25
john4p
Competition Moderator

Didn't bother to practice the marshes after all. Thus failed again:

Old 08 February 2010, 16:50   #26
john4p
Competition Moderator

Almost...

Old 08 February 2010, 16:58   #27
rexsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
Manual gears are greatly advised.
Why?

Here my incredible score: 17,040,560

Last edited by rexsu; 09 April 2010 at 18:37.
Old 08 February 2010, 17:38   #28
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Yes you're right. Honestly, is much easier driving in opposite hand, if you have too much opponents in the left hand drive, because you can avoid easily those white Lotus coming to you. You can see them in the distance and where they are coming.
I prefer the "legal" side, because in curves the cars coming at you are way too fast to react in my opinion.
Btw., I get most of my points on that track...

Very close to the end again...
Old 08 February 2010, 18:20   #29
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsu View Post
Why?
Because it helps to recover time when you bump in 5th gear. If you have auto gears car lags too much recovering from a low speed as cpu keeps it in 5th gear. In manual, a quick downshift to 4th then upshifting to 5th again really helps you, like a kind of small turbo boost. If you do this for example 10-20 times per level, it can save you precious seconds that might help you finish the level and in the end, the game.
Old 08 February 2010, 19:06   #30
seuden
uber cool demi god

Old 08 February 2010, 21:28   #31
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Old 08 February 2010, 23:35   #32
rexsu

Quote:
Because it helps to recover time when you bump in 5th gear. If you have auto gears car lags too much recovering from a low speed as cpu keeps it in 5th gear. In manual, a quick downshift to 4th then upshifting to 5th again really helps you, like a kind of small turbo boost. If you do this for example 10-20 times per level, it can save you precious seconds that might help you finish the level and in the end, the game.
Thank you for your answer, so the auto gears seems to be a junk; it's scandalous for a Lotus Esprit
But I will first try to complete the game with auto gears because I'm not used to play with a manual gear box for arcade games !
Old 09 February 2010, 00:01   #33
mosfet

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lotus.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	24228  
Old 09 February 2010, 06:51   #34
TodaysForgotten

Quote:
Well said. I dont know much about the series but in real life, being able to come out of a turn in a lower gear and at the peak of the power band for said gear is much more beneficial for exit-turn speed. Not knowing much about this game...I know all games benefit from MT due to the ability to control the RPM. The problem is perfecting it.
Old 09 February 2010, 19:59   #35
john4p
Competition Moderator

Angry

Aaaaargh!

Old 09 February 2010, 20:29   #36
Graham Humphrey

I feel your pain - maybe there should be an option where you can get out and push the car over the line or something...
Old 10 February 2010, 17:53   #37
linesmachine

Yeh, that IS a bxtch. It happened to me on the snow track and I was involuntarily doing this bouncing motion in my chair, as if it might just push the car over the line. A movement a bit like this-->
Old 10 February 2010, 18:11   #38
Wepl

Quote:
[B]IMPORTANT - You MUST play the WHDLoad version linked to in this thread, and the one in the Zone - as the scoring systems seem to vary amongst different versions, we have supplied the WHDLoad version on a High Density ADF to play in UAE for those who don't use WHDLoad normally, so you can boot it and play it like normal. You need an A1200 setup emulated with a High Density floppy drive and 4MB of Fast RAM.
there is no difference in scoring between the different game versions, they are the same. but there is a difference when using the whdload version because this halfs all scores. if not the scores would overflow if you play good enough until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosfet View Post
One version has "Today's best scores" versus "All time best scores", does the game have two separate high score tables? Or is that another difference?
this text is modified by the whdload slave

Quote:
V1.3 doesn't save highscores at all which is a tad annoying. (EDIT: Or maybe it does... just found out you need to set a tooltype to save scores in v1.9...)
But glad that's cleared up.
please use latest slave because lotus2.slave v1.6 is the first one which halfs the scores http://whdload.de/games/Lotus2.html
Old 10 February 2010, 18:14   #39
Graham Humphrey

I was using v1.8 not 1.3 - my mistake, was reading the text wrong...!

In any case I'm using the newest one now.
Old 10 February 2010, 19:04   #40
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Ah.. So it was intentionally altered.
Case closed then.