English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 September 2018, 20:19   #1
superfrog

Best Cirrus Logic CL-GD542x driver package to use with Win 3.1 BB emulation

What is the best driver package to use with the Cirrus Logic emulated x86 Bridgeboard for Windows 3.1? I have tried a few packages that I've downloaded and had problems with them like screen corruption or just not working at all when I try to use resolutions > 640x480 and > 16 colors. I would think that any driver package that says it is compatible with CL-GD542x chipset would work, but so far have not had success.

Please share link if you have one. Thanks!

Last edited by superfrog; 07 September 2018 at 06:20.
Old 02 September 2018, 20:57   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Could you upload Bridgeboard HDF (+config file + nvr) that has 542x driver installed win3.1 but shows corruption? CL emulation still may have some bugs in some rarely used functions.

I tried one package (don't remember where I downloaded it) and it worked fine.
Old 07 September 2018, 04:32   #3
superfrog

I've tried various combinations of CL ROMs and drivers with PCem as well as WinUAE BB emulation. After installing and activating the driver, I get a display like what is shown in the screenshots. I get the same results in PCem and WinUAE, so I'm wondering if I've got the wrong ROM or drivers. I tried various packages that can be found through searches for GD542x Windows 3.1 drivers.

I've tried the ROMs mentioned in the winuaechangelog.txt, as well and the one that is included in the PCem/86Box ROM collection (5429.vbi):

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/...ogic-cl-gd5420
http://tinyurl.com/rs20170821

I've also tried various versions of GD542x/5426/5429 drivers that can be found at these sites:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=47
http://www5.ncr.com/support/support_...ibrary_c_logic
http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/DISPLAY/CIRRUS/

It seems that pretty much every other CL driver package or ROM I can find out there is some version of what's available from the links above. Everything works fine in DOS. But I have not been able to get Windows 3.1 to work with any CL drivers I've tried. Changing the emulated chipset in WinUAE between CL-GD5426 and CL-GD5429 does not make any difference either.

I will upload the config and hdf I've been using for my testing if you want to try it out. I just tried but for some reason The Zone would not take my upload so I will try again later. Can you please upload the ROM and drivers that you have used successfully?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCem_2018-09-05_14-09-23.png
Views:	172
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	59717   Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae4100b3_2018-09-06_15-28-10.png
Views:	193
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	59718  
Old 07 September 2018, 06:16   #4
superfrog

Okay I've uploaded my stuff to The Zone:

http://eab.abime.net/zone/CL%20x86%20W311%20Drivers.zip
Old 07 September 2018, 20:07   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It most likely works "correctly" if PCem has same output (it has totally different CL implementation than winuae's QEMU based CL emulation).

I think it was this driver that was confirmed working: http://ftp.mpoli.fi/pub/hardware/DIS...S/K5429-D2.ZIP

Your Windows HDF does not even enable CL "high resolution" mode bit (256 colors or more in 640x480 or higher) so I am not really sure whats going on.
Old 08 September 2018, 07:29   #6
AnnaWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It most likely works "correctly" if PCem has same output (it has totally different CL implementation than winuae's QEMU based CL emulation).

I think it was this driver that was confirmed working: http://ftp.mpoli.fi/pub/hardware/DIS...S/K5429-D2.ZIP

Your Windows HDF does not even enable CL "high resolution" mode bit (256 colors or more in 640x480 or higher) so I am not really sure whats going on.
@superfrog

I have uploaded the installed driver(s) in The Zone!
Use the VGAUtil/WinMode to change the colors, resolution, ...
It makes the required changes on the Autoexec.bat file.

Last edited by AnnaWu; 08 September 2018 at 07:50.
Old 11 September 2018, 18:44   #7
superfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaWu View Post
@superfrog

I have uploaded the installed driver(s) in The Zone!
Use the VGAUtil/WinMode to change the colors, resolution, ...
It makes the required changes on the Autoexec.bat file.

I tried your config and it worked. I tried using your hdf in my config and it worked. But when I set everything up myself, I still get the same result as before. I'm using mostly the same configuration as you. The only real differences are that I'm using an AB hardfile instead of AT IDE hdf, and the amouse driver instead of serial mouse. But those things should make no difference. I verified that the ROM and driver package I'm using are the same as yours.

I did a clean install of Amiga OS 2.1, Janus 2.1, MS-DOS 6.22, WFW 3.11, and the K5429-D2 driver package by running INSTALL.EXE from Windows. I used default settings for all software installations.

I can't figure out what the difference is between your installation and mine.

I've uploaded my latest test files to The Zone if you want to have a look. Thanks!

EDIT: I get the same results in PCem, so this is definitely not a WinUAE issue. I'm trying to figure out what is the difference in the software or way we are installing that results in it working for you and not for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae4100b4_2018-09-11_09-24-10.png
Views:	250
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	59778  

Last edited by superfrog; 11 September 2018 at 19:38.
Old 11 September 2018, 19:52   #8
superfrog

Okay I see what the problem is now. If you don't make any changes to the display settings after installation is complete, then it doesn't write the needed changes to AUTOEXEC.BAT and SYSTEM.INI. Which does not make any sense, because it should still work without making any changes. Anyway, once I make changes and save them then it works.
Old 11 September 2018, 19:56   #9
superfrog

I am beginning to have more moments of scratching my head wondering how we ever survived the earlier days of PC computing. So much of how all this early PC/DOS/Windows stuff "works" is just complete nonsense. Makes me really grateful that I mostly stayed away from PC and used Amiga until PC platform was much more mature.
Old 11 September 2018, 20:15   #10
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
It was the most fun time in home computing. learning how your computer worked and tweaking things to your liking. Buying a new game and getting it to actually work was part of the fun
Old 11 September 2018, 21:03   #11
superfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Okay I see what the problem is now. If you don't make any changes to the display settings after installation is complete, then it doesn't write the needed changes to AUTOEXEC.BAT and SYSTEM.INI. Which does not make any sense, because it should still work without making any changes. Anyway, once I make changes and save them then it works.

@AnnaWu:

I see you told me I needed to make changes using VGAUtil in a previous post. Thanks, but it's still bad implementation on the part of CL to require changes to the default settings to get the drivers to work properly.

Another thing I had to do was go into SYSTEM.INI and add the line "device=vtdapi.386" to the [386Enh] section. I got an error after driver installation that this was not properly configured. Again, something the CL installer should have done and didn't. Did you have to do that too?

Last edited by superfrog; 11 September 2018 at 21:09.
Old 11 September 2018, 21:14   #12
superfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
It was the most fun time in home computing. learning how your computer worked and tweaking things to your liking. Buying a new game and getting it to actually work was part of the fun

Yeah, it was fun up to a point. Beyond that it was (and still is) just an exercise in frustration trying to get a very badly designed system to work properly by using all sorts of hacks and tricks. Fun for a while, but I get tired of it after a while.