English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 February 2008, 23:34   #1
NLS
Ancient User

How is it possible for WinUAE to crash the whole computer?

Disclaimer: Toni this is NOT a bug report, because there are no details, no way to verify etc. I am not claiming your program does that, but it seems it has done it for me (could be something else and this is why I write to see the feedback).

Well in the past (but fresh enough versions - post 1.0), seems that starting the actual emulation (NOT starting WinUAE) has blue-screened at least one of my computers.

What part of the emulator interacts with the host OS in such a way that COULD (possibly because of a problem with the host OS not the emulator) crash it? Disk I/O? Gfx driver thing? Something else?

If you could point me to some possibilities maybe I could replicate the problem (because doesn't happen all the time - not even often) and even solve it (if it is the host part - as I expect).
Old 02 February 2008, 23:41   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

XP SP2 x86, right?
On that config, the one and only time I've got a BSOD that wasn't my fault, was in Rogue Spear, something about the sound card.
I got a cheap one on the mobo.
The other one, was with my HD, got an old "used" cable that didn't connect well.
Before, on the first XP x86 without any SPx's and with a tiny amount of RAM (about 64-256 don't remember), I got multi BSOD's, almost every day - you know, games wanting more and more, the lack of memory, the data read from HD not fast enough...
Old 02 February 2008, 23:49   #3
NLS
Ancient User

No. In fact Server 2003 SP1.
2GB RAM, 3GHz P4 640 with good quality components.
Use it for years (this is were I write this from) as my "main" PC (not the strongest though).

In fact it does most things fine believe me. (not that it doesn't have its issues like every PC)

What you mention is about things definitely relating to the computer, no emulation in between.

But booting kickstart (not even WB) in WinUAE... how can it crash my... Windows?
Old 02 February 2008, 23:55   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Bad driver (display in 95% of cases) or hardware failure. (other programs not crashing does not matter)
Old 03 February 2008, 01:04   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
You can do an experiment.

Try to get some of those prime number generators and let your PC calculate like mad! Your CPU will be used to the fullest and get VERY hot! If you have a stable system, this should not matter.
But if you have e. g. overclocked your CPU *and* not provided sufficiently good cooling, it may get too hot so that your Windows may freeze up.

I would not be surprised if you get a BSOD too when calculating prime numbers!
WinUAE has most probably set the CPU usage mark to a certain level on your system and you maybe have never had CPU usage at this level with any other software before.
Old 03 February 2008, 09:37   #6
NLS
Ancient User

We'll see what happens now that I will reinstall the OS (after some years of 24/7 operation) - in fact moving to SBS2k3R2.

I doubt it is temperature related. CPU is stock and trust me WinUAE is not the toughest software that runs here.

Toni could be bad driver, although I doubt display because I update it from time to time (on the other hand I haven't noticed if it was a certain version that had a specific trend).

Anyway, thanks guys.
Old 03 February 2008, 11:44   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
We'll see what happens now that I will reinstall the OS (after some years of 24/7 operation) - in fact moving to SBS2k3R2.

I doubt it is temperature related. CPU is stock and trust me WinUAE is not the toughest software that runs here.

Toni could be bad driver, although I doubt display because I update it from time to time (on the other hand I haven't noticed if it was a certain version that had a specific trend).

Anyway, thanks guys.
Running WinUAE in AGA mode with full speed does indeed test a few PC's.
Old 11 February 2008, 19:48   #8
G.Longsword
Zone Friend

perhaps, you don`t own a real amiga, and do not have permission to use amiga-kickrom-images. hihi

all works fine here, always did, and hopefully will