English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 29 July 2014, 01:14   #81
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
Does PFSIII require the scsi.device or is there a way to load pfs3 into memory to replace scsi.device at boot ? Blizkick or Loadmodule maybe ?
I think directscsi version is for that purpose.
Old 29 July 2014, 09:13   #82
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Does PFSIII require the scsi.device or is there a way to load pfs3 into memory to replace scsi.device at boot ? Blizkick or Loadmodule maybe ?
Your question makes no sense.. Filesystem is not a device driver. You need both to mount and boot from harddrive, they can't replace each other, they have totally different purposes.

What are you trying to do?

Device's boot rom (or KS ROM if mainboard IDE) tells filesystem which device driver ("scsi.device" or "suprascsi.device" or "1230scsi.device" or whatever..) and unit number to use. (Actually device driver tells dos that information and dos forwards it to filesystem handler when it is time to mount all devices)
Old 29 July 2014, 13:16   #83
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
i was trying to put pfs3_aio-handler into my blizkick sequence without scsi.device but impossible to boot my CF card...

With scsi.device no prob...

i know why now.. thx
Old 29 July 2014, 17:47   #84
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
i was trying to put pfs3_aio-handler into my blizkick sequence without scsi.device but impossible to boot my CF card...

With scsi.device no prob...

i know why now.. thx
Strange. Run attached program with and without scsi.device included with blizkick and attach output. (boot without startup-sequence and if HD does not boot, use bootable floppy). Use CLI redirection to capture output: "reslist >output.txt"

(It lists exec residents, many system info programs have similar features but because most of them don't handle linked entries correctly, I decided to write my own than to try to find working one)
Attached Files
File Type: zip reslist.zip (876 Bytes, 179 views)
Old 29 July 2014, 18:59   #85
Foul

When i sait impossible to boot... it's not the exact thing... it boot normally but can't access the two large partition on my CF Card, two first are shown and booted (HD0 : 500Meg and HD1 : 1,4Gb). Last partitions (HD2 : 10Gb and HD3: 2,9Gb) are not mounted.. because without patched scsi, impossible to access large disk i think. i though pfs3 was able without scsi.device to access all my partitions...

All of this is from my Real A1200/060.. with WinUAE/FS-UAE, it boot and access all each time...

Attached reslist with and without scsi and no pfs3 in blizkick.

the only difference is :

'scsi.device' ('IDE_scsidisk 44.2 (15.03.2009)..') (Doobrey's scsi.device 44.2)
'scsi.device' ('scsidisk 40.12 (21.12.93)..') (from 3.1 roms)
Attached Files
File Type: txt withscsi.txt (4.1 KB, 263 views)
File Type: txt withoutscsi.txt (4.1 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Foul; 29 July 2014 at 19:20.
Old 29 July 2014, 19:46   #86
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Lets start from beginning.. Do you mean later partitions (that cross 4G border or are completely outside of first 4G) don't mount if you use blizkick to add pfs3 only? But if you add new scsi device + pfs3 (or scsi device only) it works?

There is not much point to add pfs3 to rom if you also boot from normal HD but it should still work.

(btw, do you mean pfs3aio, not official, "normal" pfs3?)
Old 29 July 2014, 19:55   #87
Foul

Only the HD0 : 500Mb and HD1 : 1,4Gb are mounted if (your latest) pfs3_aio-handler is included (or not) in blizkick without scsi.device

With old scsi.device , no HD2 + HD3 mounted partitions...
With new scsi.device, all partitions are mounted.

Last edited by Foul; 29 July 2014 at 20:05.
Old 30 July 2014, 18:23   #88
Jope
-

I don't get it.. Why do you want to load it in RAM manually instead of putting it in the RDB and letting the system do it for you?
Old 30 July 2014, 18:47   #89
Foul

I mixed scsi device and PFS3 Filesystem...i thought in my head PFS3 included scsi device
Old 31 July 2014, 05:07   #90
Shadowfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I don't get it.. Why do you want to load it in RAM manually instead of putting it in the RDB and letting the system do it for you?
1. If your hard disk controller or OS (i.e. Kickstart pre 1.3) doesn't support autoboot.
2. If you want a partition hidden from the OS (using a mountlist to mount it only when you want to access it).
Old 31 July 2014, 11:02   #91
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
1. If your hard disk controller or OS (i.e. Kickstart pre 1.3) doesn't support autoboot.
In this case it is automatically loaded from disk when you mount your non-autobooting partition.
Quote:
2. If you want a partition hidden from the OS (using a mountlist to mount it only when you want to access it).
In this case it is automatically loaded from disk when you mount your non-automounting partition.

In both situations the handler line in your mountlist/dosdriver points to the handler's location on some OS readable volume.

Last edited by Jope; 31 July 2014 at 11:12.
Old 27 July 2016, 18:50   #92
Romanujan

Toni, I have one request: would it be hard for you to provide also a MultiUser enabled build?

[edit] Unfortunately, AROS does not seem to be open source anymore (The AROS repository is running on a password protected SVN server, which means that you need to apply for access to it to be able to collaborate in the development. At the request of Amiga Inc., anonymous read-only access to the repository has been disabled - see here), so hardly anyone can provide such a build, even if it is trivial

Last edited by Romanujan; 27 July 2016 at 19:35.
Old 31 July 2016, 18:16   #93
pawelek

With the partitions in the FFS and SFS Workbench displays nicely in the information about the device driver and filesystem used (name and version), whereas if you use the PFS, lack of information about the filesystem, it is only displayed the driver scsi.device, does anyone know why?

Old 31 July 2016, 21:03   #94
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
Toni, I have one request: would it be hard for you to provide also a MultiUser enabled build?
I don't know what multiuser requires from filesystem. There is nothing in multiuser documentation! (Only FFS patch but it is binary only)

Quote:
[edit] Unfortunately, AROS does not seem to be open source anymore (The AROS repository is running on a password protected SVN server, which means that you need to apply for access to it to be able to collaborate in the development. At the request of Amiga Inc., anonymous read-only access to the repository has been disabled - see here), so hardly anyone can provide such a build, even if it is trivial
https://github.com/ezrec/AROS-mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelek View Post
With the partitions in the FFS and SFS Workbench displays nicely in the information about the device driver and filesystem used (name and version), whereas if you use the PFS, lack of information about the filesystem, it is only displayed the driver scsi.device, does anyone know why?

Is that WB 3.1 or 3.5+ only feature?
Old 31 July 2016, 22:55   #95
AMIGASYSTEM

It could be a shortage of tools Workbench, with other tools like Scout on the File System PFS information is shown, see my screenshot.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 08 December 2016 at 00:50.
Old 31 July 2016, 23:03   #96
AMIGASYSTEM

To confirm what I suspected OS4.1, "more updated", instead displays without problems the File System Information of the same hardfile PFS, see second screenshot

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 08 December 2016 at 00:50.
Old 01 August 2016, 09:13   #97
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If I mention OS 3+, it does not include OS4.
Old 01 August 2016, 09:55   #98
AMIGASYSTEM

It Toni, was not the answer for you, i just wanted to show that the Filesystem was correct
Old 01 August 2016, 11:00   #99
Romanujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I don't know what multiuser requires from filesystem. There is nothing in multiuser documentation! (Only FFS patch but it is binary only)
The original PFS3 did have a MultiUser capable version - also the source code released back then on Aminet (http://aminet.net/disk/misc/PFS3src.lha) seems to contain the MultiUser support code, one need to enable appropriate compilation option and provide the library headers (available here: http://aminet.net/util/misc/MultiUser18api.lha).

It seems to me the FS support is not too complicated - some randez-vous call at the system initialization + additional parameters stored in the filesystem for each object (file/directory) + some calls to multiuser.library from the filesystem to verify the access rights.

I don't know what did the AROS team change in the sources (I will look at them when I have some time), possibly compiling the muPFS-AIO can work 'out of the box'.
Old 01 August 2016, 11:24   #100
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I don't know what did the AROS team change in the sources (I will look at them when I have some time), possibly compiling the muPFS-AIO can work 'out of the box'.
Only difference between aros and official pfs3 svn is that aros version includes "aio" support code (KS 1.x, access mode autodetection etc..) and needs aros compilation environment. EDIT: only reason it is in aros tree: KS 1.x compatibility without invasive changes to core pfs3 code requires preprocessor tricks that is easy with aros compiler system.

Official pfs3 is "plain" pfs3 and can be compiled with sas-c.

I probably didn't include mufs support because it does not make much sense in aio version. (very rarely needed)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 01 August 2016 at 14:40.