English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 September 2016, 19:19   #1
amigakit.com

Personal Paint 7.3b for AmigaOS 3

A-EON Technology Ltd is pleased to announce a new version of Personal Paint for AmigaOS 3 / 68k. The new version is free of charge upgrade for existing 7.3 customers. New customers can purchase it at official PPaint website: www.ppaint.com

The new 7.3b version is a maintainence release. It is available to download for registered customers as an LHA archive from the A-EON secure website or AMIStore App Store.
Old 18 September 2016, 20:57   #2
tolkien
AmigaMan

Downloading...thanks
Old 18 September 2016, 21:53   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Not sure from the website - does it include any documentation and is the download somehow personalisied (does the program tell Registered to: ) or something?
Old 19 September 2016, 17:33   #4
Selur

Is this better then Deluxe Paint 5 ?
Old 19 September 2016, 18:19   #5
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
Is this better then Deluxe Paint 5 ?
Try with the free 7.1 version? I think it is... or actually I've been using PPaint instead of DPaint too long to even remember what features DPaint has Anyway PPaint has really nice palette processing functions, support for more modern formats, and lots of other nice things.
Old 20 September 2016, 00:44   #6
idrougge

PPaint is a lot better.
Old 20 September 2016, 08:54   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
PPaint is a lot better.

I find this subjective my friend, I have both and use both, DPaint has some great pallet locking features for animations and PPaint has some great features for saving images off as planar code =)

Using one does not mutually exclude the other.

Get both, use both.
Old 20 September 2016, 11:26   #8
idrougge

I haven't used DPaint since I got version 2 of PPaint. It is a much better program, regardless of whether DPaint has an edge in certain areas.
Old 20 September 2016, 11:26   #9
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Deluxe Paint is superior!

(And so the flamewar was raised)
Old 20 September 2016, 13:03   #10
TroyWilkins

I'm with Zetr0, they're both good, although I find that PPaint seems to not be quite as sluggish (actually, I find that PPaint is actually fairly quick, while Dpaint can be a bit too slow sometimes for my liking), they're both different enough to have their own strengths and weaknesses, and they operate that bit differently that you may find one suits you better than the other, or one may be preferable for particular tasks.
Old 20 September 2016, 13:08   #11
amigakit.com

With PPaint you can use Fast Memory instead of valuable Chip memory so it maybe faster because of that. You can also use/disable blitter operations which maybe preferable in some systems.

We can continue to update PPaint to incorporate features and suggestions, so please give us feedback so we can make it even better.
Old 20 September 2016, 13:59   #12
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

For me - the main difference is Dpaint has a tool box on the right side while PPaint has its on the left side. And since I am right handed and hold my mouse right from my Amiga, I always preferred DPaint. Or is it possible to choose on which side the tool box appears?
Old 20 September 2016, 14:14   #13
Steve T

They are similar packages, but both do things differently & have different features, i'm comparing an older version of PPaint with DpaintIV here...

I'm pretty new to it, a big feature that seems missing from my version of PPaint is the ability to lock the background - haven't so far discovered a workaround - Do the newer versions have this?

Being able to adjust an entire indexed palette by HSV in PPaint is a really nice feature that Dpaint lacks, in terms of simple pixelling, they're both pretty much equal, some of PPaint's more advanced image processing features (probably a major selling point/difference to Dpaint) are presumably pretty much redundant though unless you have RTG? - You'd just be better of doing this on a PC(sorry!)

I like both packages, since i'm doing a lot of artwork on the Amiga atm, I may get this.
Old 20 September 2016, 16:57   #14
Amiga1992

I like both DPaint and PPaint although I mostly use DPaint and grafx2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
We can continue to update PPaint to incorporate features and suggestions, so please give us feedback so we can make it even better.
Can you include layers like in grafx2? That would be absolutely fantastic (and a "must buy" feature). Then you don't need to lock a background, like, ever.
Old 20 September 2016, 18:29   #15
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I like both DPaint and PPaint although I mostly use DPaint and grafx2.

Can you include layers like in grafx2? That would be absolutely fantastic (and a "must buy" feature). Then you don't need to lock a background, like, ever.

I second that; layers would be awesome.
Old 20 September 2016, 21:19   #16
ExiE

Big advantage of PPaint over DPaint is ability to work with PNG format...
Old 21 September 2016, 01:02   #17
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
I'm pretty new to it, a big feature that seems missing from my version of PPaint is the ability to lock the background - haven't so far discovered a workaround - Do the newer versions have this?
How do you mean lock the background? Have you tried the stencil feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
PPaint's more advanced image processing features (probably a major selling point/difference to Dpaint) are presumably pretty much redundant though unless you have RTG? - You'd just be better of doing this on a PC(sorry!)
The image processing features of PPaint are indeed mostly useless, but on the other hand, its palette manipulations are unparalleled by any PC program.
Old 21 September 2016, 07:24   #18
jPV

Quote:
The image processing features of PPaint are indeed mostly useless, but on the other hand, its palette manipulations are unparalleled by any PC program.
Yeah, I feel the same, when you need image processing I do it mostly on true color modes with ArtEffect on Amiga, but when I want the results to 8bit or less, then PPaint steps in. Or if I want to pixel or convert things directly to low color modes, I use PPaint from the start.

PPaint does a fine job when you need to reduce colors from images/palettes. And it's an exellent tool for Amiga coders who need to combine different images to the same palette. You can merge and copy palettes with the main image, secondary image, or any brushes just so easily and with good results.

And of course the support for PNG, GIF, JPEG, etc is mandatory nowadays, I don't remember what formats DPaint supports, but at least for me the source graphics comes usually in PNG or JPEG, and I also want to save to PNG or GIF when doing for example web graphics or any other gfx than purely for Amiga use.

+1 for layers from me too!
Old 21 September 2016, 14:26   #19
Steve T

Quote:
How do you mean lock the background? Have you tried the stencil feature?

As you would lock the background in dpaint, then you can paint over and delete etc, without modifying the underlying image, like a primitive version of layers - I thought PPaint actually supported layers but I must be thinking of a different program.

Quote:
Yes I did praise this in my first post, the ability to adjust Hue or compress or expand the dynamic range of the image with the contrast controls are fantastic, just to be able to easily experiment quickly, saves a lot of time over all other pixel progs i've tried - worth the price of admission by itself really.
Old 21 September 2016, 19:04   #20
eXeler0

I was always a DPaint guy, but the fact that PPaint is getting updates in 2016 says a lot..
AFAIK, DPaint has not been touched at all for over 20 years.
I have some old Amiga Format Cover CD with PPaint 7 (.*?) Maybe I should dust it off.
Does the latest version have any sort of RTG support?