Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 15 January 2020, 10:52   #381
AMIGASYSTEM

OpenArena on AROS One 68k

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mxg...y72H62YEp/view
Old 15 January 2020, 12:31   #382
Cowcat

@amigasystem

I suppose it is the latest github release but I'm not sure what "" means.

Gun or objects being not rendered properly?

First of all, capturing visuals that way I cannot see a proper framerate. In my UAE setup looks more or less ok as other old versions (it's been a while).

Using windowmode doesn't work well with Wazp3D as the known sky rendering problems.

Now, new vbcc fixed some stuff specially the networking side but new problems arised that means fully debug and time resources for the 68k side with the vbcc guys.
Old 15 January 2020, 14:32   #383
AMIGASYSTEM

OpenArena on AROS One 68k (on WinUAE) with full screen does not go well the screen flicker (dance) but it also happens with other 3D games.
Old 26 June 2020, 16:09   #384
Cowcat

Update:

New version fixes memory problems when minigl is re-started as one would do while changing screen modes or going multiplay (happens quite often).

"Probably" windowmode scissoring now works in real Amigas. WinUAE now shows fps on top and more or less the missing graphics (still some issues with Wazp3D).

Sky rendering now is visible for 68k WinUAE emulation (With minigl memories issues fixed is quite solid now).
Portals/mirrors work now with fastsky.

Warpos gcc version had some bug for quite some time that didn't allow downloading paks needed from multiplayer servers. Turned out to be rename() C function in warpos newlib.
Now "mostly" all is good providing you erase q3config from old mods dirs if you failed before to download a pack. Still some bugs there no matter the compiled version: Is prefered to have automatic downloading in menu game settings.

Note: Some mods put their paks on baseq3 and those bypass the "normal" paks .....

Still known problems: 68k version "bots" behaviour and some vm failures.

https://github.com/AmigaPorts/ioq3/releases
Old 26 June 2020, 18:47   #385
trixster
Guru Meditating

Thank you, Sir!
Old 27 June 2020, 09:37   #386
AMIGASYSTEM

Okay Cowcat works fine, just tiny little flickering right side screen.

I noticed that if you run it directly executable from Workbench you get a flicker of the screen first, then everything settles as soon as ece logo setup. If instead you eseque executable from scripts with parameters the problem does not exist, I enclose exhaustive videos

Used WinUAE with DualCore 4GB Ram/ATI Radeon HD6250 Win7 323Bit:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14fs...ew?usp=sharing
Old 27 June 2020, 17:35   #387
Cowcat

@AMIGASYSTEM

In the video you have correct draw for both alien bodies in those transparent containers. But on the contrary the portal is wrong.

Me is different: Containers and objects above panels are almost in full black but the portal is correctly displayed.

The mirror is ok.

I'm using WinUAE through wine emulation on Debian.

Right flickering? Well, a nuance in the emulation...
Old 28 June 2020, 16:12   #388
drluking

is cyberstormppc 604@333 with 128Mb (plus 16Mb a4000 onboard) and cybervisionppc 8Mb graphic card Warp3D sufficient ?

if not, the bigramplus 256Mb Zorro3 can be used ?

regards
Old 28 June 2020, 22:48   #389
Cowcat

I've seen a 1200 with blitzppc 603@340 ppc and blitzvision running it, and seemed to be playable. Now, 128Mg. will not suffice. Around 153Mg is needed for first map for example, so on average > 192Mg,

Game is agnostic about ram system (for that matter any other program) but I don't know about what kind of performance has bigramplus with Q3.

Just to point out: For ram expansions with Sonnet library and such, ask the usual suspects.
Old 28 June 2020, 23:36   #390
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Not sure if RAM on the zorro bus is fast enough.
Old 05 July 2020, 00:16   #391
BULI

Cowcat, look, your Quake 3 vs PC via network

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 July 2020, 07:57   #392
BULI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULI View Post
Cowcat, look, your Quake 3 vs PC via network

[ Show youtube player ]

Amiga port Quake seems to be really complete

One big difference compared to PC version is texture mode (r_textureMode).

On Amiga we have only GL_Linear in near perspective (in real: bilinear) and no filtering in far perspective.
On PC we could have max: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR (trilinear), that mean filtering is "on" in both perspectives.
Old 08 July 2020, 09:01   #393
Cowcat

Quote:
Amiga port Quake seems to be really complete
95% complete but every now and then there's a new bugfix or something to upgrade.

Filtering mipmap is not complete in Warp3D libraries AFAIK.
Old 09 March 2021, 18:33   #394
jkdsteve

Well after getting all the files over from my PC, sad that I cannot get this to work but then my PPC board only has 128MB (though there's 256 in the machine including accelerator RAM.)

It wouldn't work at all unless I disabled sound and then reducing hunk/heap men got me a little further...

Get Data Exception when trying to load a map, be it demo or single play :-/

2/3 ain't bad...I got Quake 1, Quake 2 running thanks to files I found on here!

Last edited by jkdsteve; 09 March 2021 at 18:48.
Old 09 March 2021, 18:35   #395
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Need at least 192MB on your PPC card.
Old 09 March 2021, 23:51   #396
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdsteve View Post
Well after getting all the files over from my PC, sad that I cannot get this to work but then my PPC board only has 128MB (though there's 256 in the machine including accelerator RAM.)

It wouldn't work at all unless I disabled sound and then reducing hunk/heap men got me a little further...

Get Data Exception when trying to load a map, be it demo or single play :-/

2/3 ain't bad...I got Quake 1, Quake 2 running thanks to files I found on here!
Pretty much all of the Quake 3 engine games are out of the question with only 128MB, Smokin Guns, OpenArena, RTCW, Jedi Outcast.

Everything else should run though like Hexen 2. Except maybe DOSbox, you'll not have very much memory available for the DOS side, but probably enough to run mostly everything that runs fast enough anyway. Eh also some of the larger MAME games probably will have a problem.
Old 10 March 2021, 09:06   #397
Cowcat

Some little changes were done to the sources months ago that fixed the movie deparment specially for 68k on WinUAE but more have to be done. Not a new binary ATM.

So far for all Q3 engines;

- Found out that models were rendered badly on far distance due to the optimization "mintriarea" that minigl does by default. Clearly that was a visual problem for Jedi Outcast but looking close, all engines have that minor issue. It is fixed now with a workaround that allow the use of this optimization without affecting models.

- Some of those games can (are now) be improved calling the event code from another place as MOS does or older Q3 code sources did: RTCW is greatly improved now but has it's own issues with "hall of mirrors" in some levels. Gotta to investigate that one.

- In the bug department, 68k versions fail when loading the models behaviour: Loading and crash when used in single playing mode with real(?) 68k Amigas (MOS emulation too) or enemies keep quiet in a corner till you confront them in WinUAE. Weird. Also some VM crashes (only 68k).

- Other know failure is in the lightmap department when r_primitives is set to "0" that tends to crash randomly. It's a Q3 "feature" now known but not fixed.

- And oddity is that Jedi Outcast use much more less memory (in proportion) than the other games, getting closer to the vanilla Q3. Maybe something can be done for them but no idea of how this code works ATM.
Old 10 March 2021, 22:21   #398
jkdsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Need at least 192MB on your PPC card.
I'll live with it (for now), the price of 256Mb Apocalypse is/was prohibitive....one day maybe.

It's amazing this works at all, thanks to you!
Old 11 March 2021, 00:14   #399
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdsteve View Post
I'll live with it (for now), the price of 256Mb Apocalypse is/was prohibitive....one day maybe.

It's amazing this works at all, thanks to you!
They can be upgraded to 256MB.
Old 13 March 2021, 22:24   #400
Timtheloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
They can be upgraded to 256MB.

Ditto, This is what a friend did for me and we got the upgrade memory IC’s from AliExpress and they works like a charm

@Cowcat, I’ve only just got around to trying this port but oh my, just on first test truly amazing. Thank you

I was surprised how smooth it runs on a Sonnet. Not tried it yet on my Apocalypse build.

Do you do requests lol I noticed on one of my clickboom games there was talk of Z coming to the Amiga is this something you could do?

Last edited by Timtheloon; 13 March 2021 at 22:53.