English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 22 June 2011, 03:19   #1
MethodGit

What compression format does Myth: HITM use?

From looking at the disks there's a lot of headers named "DAVE" which looks more than likely to be an alternative header for one of the established compression formats, but which one? I've tried replacing the headers with obvious ones like "RNC", "IMP!", "Ice!" and "PP20" but WRip is unable to extract the chunks with any of those. The game isn't mentioned on this page either, and I can't see anything else on there I haven't tried already (StoneCracker, CrunchMania et al I don't believe were used until well into the mid 90's).

Unless it's some secret proprietary compression format they used? It's hard to tell because the ICS crack of the game at least was somehow able to hardcode its changes into their disk 1 instead of using commands in memory.
Old 22 June 2011, 12:15   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
From looking at the disks there's a lot of headers named "DAVE" which looks more than likely to be an alternative header for one of the established compression formats, but which one?
You're again guessing (as so often before) and your guess is wrong.

Quote:
Unless it's some secret proprietary compression format they used?
It's bog standard bytekiller crunched data.

Quote:
It's hard to tell because
Not hard to tell when you check the code.
Old 22 June 2011, 12:19   #3
MethodGit

Considering ByteKiller (usually) has no visible header for its data at all, it's not all that easy for me to find, especially if it's cramped tight in-between other data.

Thank you for confirming the format to me nevertheless.
Old 22 June 2011, 12:28   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Considering ByteKiller (usually) has no visible header for its data at all, it's not all that easy for me to find, especially if it's cramped tight in-between other data.
It should be quite an easy task for you seeing that you're such a good cracker...
Old 22 June 2011, 12:53   #5
MethodGit

My patch for Putty does not involve decrunching the ByteKiller data, modifying it then repacking it. It does things entirely in memory, like what most of you cracking experts recommended in the past.

And besides, who said I was wanting to look into decrunching Myth's data for cracking purposes? I made a working patch for it already that - again - alters values within memory. My reasoning for wanting to rip the data out is purely for curiosity purposes. Though right now it turns out that ByteKiller has no unique/consistent beginning or ending bytes for a compressed data file, leaving me to wonder whether the 'DAVE' header even has anything to do with it.
Old 22 June 2011, 13:09   #6
marty
Banned

You could use ByteKiller Data Ripper & ByteKiller Data Decruncher to get the files
Old 22 June 2011, 13:41   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
And besides, who said I was wanting to look into decrunching Myth's data for cracking purposes?
No one. But since you often claimed that you know what you're doing when it comes to cracking it should be absolutely no problem for you to find the decruncher in the game code and look at the files. That's all I wanted to say.

So far I have seen lots and lots of threads opened by you, asking almost always the same questions. How about trying yourself to rip/decrunch the data first?

Quote:
Though right now it turns out that ByteKiller has no unique/consistent beginning or ending bytes for a compressed data file, leaving me to wonder whether the 'DAVE' header even has anything to do with it.
The header is there for a reason. I'm not in the mood to spoon-feed you so try to figure out why it is there.
Old 22 June 2011, 15:01   #8
Hewitson

No idea what purpose it serves (if any) but I came across the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOL
Old 22 June 2011, 16:38   #9
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty View Post
You could use ByteKiller Data Ripper & ByteKiller Data Decruncher to get the files
That Data Ripper appears to only be able to read stuff loaded into memory. Bit difficult to load bits of a disk (or even a whole disk) through a Monitor I would've thought.

It would help if I could find any decent documentation on the ByteKiller format and what defines the start and end of it, and especially on how to find it on an NDOS disk since WRip obviously can't figure it out. I found this a while back, which was interesting enough to learn, but it still doesn't really explain it for me.
Old 22 June 2011, 17:07   #10
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

See, this is what I mean. You always ask for tutorials, documentations etc. pp. Specially in the case of Myth it is very easy to find the files on disk since the game has a file table which is loaded in the bootblock. Figuring that out is about 30 seconds of easy work. And I already told you how to decrunch "custom" files in one of your other threads so I won't repeat myself here.
Old 22 June 2011, 17:51   #11
marty
Banned

Quote:
That Data Ripper appears to only be able to read stuff loaded into memory. Bit difficult to load bits of a disk (or even a whole disk) through a Monitor I would've thought..
No its not.
Or you can use Multiripper, which let you load a file OR disk image to memory
Old 22 June 2011, 18:58   #12
Frog

You can also use the excellent Track2file it handle you to load disk, save it as diskimage and even search for packers header
Old 22 June 2011, 20:37   #13
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
You can also use the excellent Track2file it handle you to load disk, save it as diskimage and even search for packers header
This is precisely the issue here, as ByteKiller has *no* standard header. It's virtually impossible to search for in a disk image through a hex editor. This is why I assumed the DAVE headers were hiding away a more common format, before I got a hint from Hewitson that maybe it's just the coder's way of putting his credit across the disks.

If there's one thing I have learnt about the ByteKiller format, it's that the first four bytes of a BK-compressed data file are the file's size in hexadecimal figures minus C. But that still won't help me find the start and end of a chunk on Myth's disks. I assume Last Ninja 3 (another heavily compressed game by System 3) uses a similar structure also?
Old 22 June 2011, 20:40   #14
BippyM

As Stingray has said, the bootblock contains the filetable, this will give the offsets for the start of each file and probably the length too, but if not then as you say the first four bytes give the length..

Do you actually read and comprehend what the pro's say?
Old 22 June 2011, 20:52   #15
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
This is precisely the issue here, as ByteKiller has *no* standard header. It's virtually impossible to search for in a disk image through a hex editor. This is why I assumed the DAVE headers were hiding away a more common format, before I got a hint from Hewitson that maybe it's just the coder's way of putting his credit across the disks.
Oh dear... Do you actually ever read what I write? "Virtually impossible to search for", yeah, right... And again, the header is there for a reason but I am repeating myself so I guess I won't reply here anylonger.

Quote:
But that still won't help me find the start and end of a chunk on Myth's disks.
Because there is no filetable, all files are very well hidden and the format is incredibly complex. </sarcasm>.
Old 23 June 2011, 00:53   #16
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Floppy disk Elite cracker demands tool be created for him!

This thread reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask for a while...

A professional cracker I know (who wishes to remain anonymous) has requested me to ask the EAB community to create a small tool for him. The tool is known as the "Mega Ultimate Professional Packing Encryption Tool" and has the following specs:
  • The tool must search a disk image for packed files and depack them automatically, converting graphics to IFF files with masks and saving maps of the games. It must handle files without a header, with an unknown length or even with a negative filesize.

• It must be capable of repacking and files in a format of his choice. eg. If he wants to repack the entire disk of ProPacker files as Bytekiller without a header (or with a negative header), that should be possible.

• Automatic cracking of the game is standard. If a Rob Northen copylock is detected, it must prompt which method to crack the game from, as he knows about a dozen different ways to crack a copylock.

• It must feature modes for soft cracking and hard cracking. I'm not familiar with those terms myself, but he assures me all the elite crackers use that terminology. It would also be best to cover all bases and have a medium cracking option, rock hard cracking, and a sunny-side-up option for those extra runny cracks.

• An optional intro parameter will inject (in the various modes above) a crack-intro onto the disk. This should be quite small, and only 10-20 intros are needed as he can just rotate them. One thing that he insists on (and will reject any supplied tools that do not comply) is that the intro must not have any link to the person that created it. Only his name shall appear in the sine scroller text - in his own words "anyone can write a tool but it takes a real man to crack and release a game!"

• The obligatory mega-trainer screen and automatic trainer finding options with infinite lives, time, sausages, level skip etc.

• A feature called one-disking would be appreciated. This involves selecting multiple disk images and the tool will repack and rearrange the game to fit on a single disk. He has always wanted to release his own 1-disk version of Turrican 2, and this would save him some time. He is also keen to release "Dragon's Lair" on one disk, which will apparently show the Amiga world how real crackers like him can operate. In the meantime, if anybody has a one disk version of "Monkey Island 2" with space for an intro, he would like a copy of the disk so he can release his one-disk version. You are welcome to submit this without the tool being complete as he wants to release the first ever one disk version so time is of the essence.

• Another feature he would like is an AGA-fix option which fixes all the bugs in the games. Currently he is happy to re-crack old games that only work on Amiga 500's, and this would make his releases more professional.

He would write this tool himself, but I think he's too busy re-cracking the latest Amiga warez at the moment. If anyone can help out (Stingray, Galahad?) please upload the tool to the zone. So that every Tom, Dick and Harry can't use it, can you please include a password that must be typed in when it boots - I think he wants "2Pac" as the password. Don't tell anyone the password please. It must be kept confidential.
Old 23 June 2011, 07:41   #17
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
It must feature modes for soft cracking and hard cracking. I'm not familiar with those terms myself, but he assures me all the elite crackers use that terminology. It would also be best to cover all bases and have a medium cracking option, rock hard cracking, and a sunny-side-up option for those extra runny cracks.
Old 23 June 2011, 10:05   #18
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
automatic trainer finding options with infinite lives, time, sausages, level skip etc.
Yeah! Now that's what I'm talking about!
Old 23 June 2011, 10:22   #19
zenox98
Komakino

From my neck of the woods, that's what's known as 'getting your arse tanned'
Old 23 June 2011, 11:13   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Mega Ultimate Professional Packing Encryption Tool" and has the following specs:
I take it he wasn't interested in the precursor to that tool?

"Complete Untrace Negate Tasker"?