English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 13 November 2018, 10:29   #181
DrMistry
Dusted with glucose

If you need some kind of prepayment encouragement, please do let me know I'm going to fire up some CAD software and 3D print a little chassis, and if it's a success I'll post a link to the design files.

As a side question, is there some kind of bus mediator on the 2000 which facilitates multiple slots, or is it purely a parallel arrangement?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 13 November 2018, 10:51   #182
Daedalus

Haha, I need a babysitter and someone to do my day job, not prepayment But thanks! A 3D printed case would be cool, I'm sure others have asked about it too.

As for the multi-slot question, the answer is "sort of". Multiple slots can be implemented with very simple logic. Most of the signals are parallel, it's mainly the Autoconfig that needs to be arbitrated between cards and then the cards themselves do all their own address decoding and bus management. However, the A2000 does have some extra hardware involved: Buster (a much simpler device than on the 3000 & 4000) which is used to buffer and manage come control signals and provide DMA capability, and some simple logic buffers on the main bus. Without these things, DMA isn't possible from more than a single card, and the bus signals might be prone to errors with many cards weighing them down.

But otherwise it is possible on an A500. The Z-500 is effectively 2 slots as the passthrough connector is essentially a second Autoconfig device, and there have been devices in the past that have provided multiple Zorro slots for the 500.
Old 13 November 2018, 19:52   #183
DrMistry
Dusted with glucose

Yea, I just had a browse of the A2000-R6 (cost reduced version) schematics - Not followed everything yet but it kind of looks doable...but I'd worry about power with more than 2 cards. Guess I'll just have to save very hard and wait for an original 2000 to pop up somewhere! I'll stick to recapping and arduinos
Old 14 November 2018, 16:05   #184
xboxown

DrMistry I always wanted a 3D case for my z-500 and it have one single 5.25 hole and a shelf for one item! I would buy that case from you in a heart beat!!
Old 14 November 2018, 19:15   #185
DrMistry
Dusted with glucose

I'm going to have to wait until I have the unit before designing the case - and also find a matching plastic colour (or is at least complimentary). I don't think it's going to to be too hard, but I will have to think about shielding and handling static gracefully...I'll keep everyone up to date, and open up a new thread when I make some progress.
Old 14 November 2018, 20:07   #186
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMistry View Post
I'm going to have to wait until I have the unit before designing the case - and also find a matching plastic colour (or is at least complimentary). I don't think it's going to to be too hard, but I will have to think about shielding and handling static gracefully...I'll keep everyone up to date, and open up a new thread when I make some progress.
I AM OFFICIALLY YOUR FIRST CUSTOMER!!

I just want to have an option to put a mechanical 3.5" hard drive inside the case or...at the back of the case a port that allows me to install an x-surf or the front of the case ...I can remove the platter to hook a cd-rom or a compact flash reader.

That is it!!

I swear I will be your first customer and save money for whatever price you want to give it..even if it can go up to and including 350 euro...I will save money to pay for that!!

I just want the case!!

Oh can you make a tiny hole for LED for the mechanical hard drive activity?! Oh also it need to have a hole for the passthrough!
Old 15 November 2018, 18:14   #187
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlide View Post
Hi,

I have a hard job to understand the goal of such a card. Not that I'm questioning it, but I would like to have more examples of uses. I may be interested in depending the examples I could get.

Is there any picture of the board?

Regards.

EDIT: I can see some pictures.
I used it to add a graphics card to the A500. In the end it worked out very nicely. See here for pictures galore! (there's also a part 2 where the ghosting is fixed - faulty memory on the graphics card).
https://amigadventures.tumblr.com/po...-the-amiga-500

Quote:
If your case has a pass-through for the ACA500+ and can somehow take a graphics card, I'm all over that.
Old 15 November 2018, 20:35   #188
DrMistry
Dusted with glucose

I am very very unlikely to be "productizing" this - I will share the design on something like TinkerCad or Thingiverse, but mass printing is just not something I'm geared up for. It'll cover the board, allow a standard Zorro 2 card to be supported and protected, and allow connections to the through edge connector, and that's most likely as far as I will take it.
Old 15 November 2018, 20:43   #189
xboxown

Quote:
I am very very unlikely to be "productizing" this - I will share the design on something like TinkerCad or Thingiverse, but mass printing is just not something I'm geared up for. It'll cover the board, allow a standard Zorro 2 card to be supported and protected, and allow connections to the through edge connector, and that's most likely as far as I will take it.
Old 17 November 2018, 21:57   #190
hlide

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
I used it to add a graphics card to the A500. In the end it worked out very nicely. See here for pictures galore! (there's also a part 2 where the ghosting is fixed - faulty memory on the graphics card).
https://amigadventures.tumblr.com/po...-the-amiga-500
I saw you mentioned MNT VA2000. I already found out it in a GitHub project. As I have a miniSpartan6+, I was almost interested to build the prototype one with this FPGA board but the README description seems to imply VA 2000 is still experimental and have bugs. In fact, I'm wondering whether that GitHub project is representing the final state of the VA 2000 or the author went to a private one and making the public one useless.
Old 18 November 2018, 14:22   #191
E-Penguin
Banana

I have a GBAPII+ not a VA2000. No reason the latter shouldn't work I guess
https://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalo...products_id=56

Last edited by E-Penguin; 18 November 2018 at 14:22. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 19 November 2018, 20:57   #192
Dave

If possible i will have one.
Old 28 November 2018, 22:49   #193
Daedalus

Okay, finally getting around to working on these again, and have a batch that I'm currently assembling and testing. I'll PM those who said they were interested in this thread with payment details etc. Sorry about the wait!
Old 28 November 2018, 23:06   #194
amigo-mexicano
Amiga's Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Okay, finally getting around to working on these again, and have a batch that I'm currently assembling and testing. I'll PM those who said they were interested in this thread with payment details etc. Sorry about the wait!
Cool, great news! Still interested BTW
Old 30 November 2018, 12:42   #195
Dave

Payment sent
Old 30 November 2018, 12:46   #196
Daedalus

And received, thanks
Old 30 November 2018, 21:20   #197
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
And received, thanks
WOOOHOO! - claps hands -
Old 01 December 2018, 13:13   #198
Marchie

Payment sent here too!
Old 05 December 2018, 15:12   #199
Dave

Received Thanks
Old 05 December 2018, 21:19   #200
Daedalus

Thanks everyone! I should be all caught up now, but if you've expressed interest in a board and are still waiting, please check your PMs. Let me know if I've missed anyone - I still have boards available