English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 08 September 2002, 20:10   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Big grin My first website

I have just created my FIRST EVER website and would appreciate any feedback from you guys.
Although I realise its VERY basic, it is my first go at this so please bear that in mind.
Any constructive critisism/hints and/or tips are very much appreciated as I really enjoyed making it and would like to improve it and give a more professional look.

NO LAUGHING!!!

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/dastardly0...adventure.html
Old 08 September 2002, 20:34   #2
Drake1009

LMAO OMG that's so funny.... ok seriously. Nice site, the background isn't a common color but still looks nice with the text. Only thing I miss would be a main page, a sort of welcome instead of just getting tossed into the middle of a Cadaver review.
Old 08 September 2002, 20:39   #3
jmmijo

Yes I agree, it's a good start however
Old 08 September 2002, 20:58   #4
Djay
95th User

Finally a site that has good reviews.......

nice one
Old 08 September 2002, 20:59   #5
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
LMAO OMG that's so funny.... Only thing I miss would be a main page, a sort of welcome instead of just getting tossed into the middle of a Cadaver review.
Good idea, thanks

BTW Do you think the AOL FTP is a bit crap? They give you 2mb. Seeing as this is my first go at this Im not sure how it compares to other FTP's.

Cheers Djay
Old 08 September 2002, 21:17   #6
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Nice!

Dastardly, I see a good start to a great website. Nice work, mac. And you reviewed a great Amiga/Atari St game
Old 08 September 2002, 21:19   #7
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Cheers Fred .....any tips for that professional look a lot of sites have?
Old 08 September 2002, 21:40   #8
Djay
95th User

Quote:
any tips for that professional look a lot of sites have?
use a menu to link to the different reviews (simple text will do), this will help when you add more review *wink*wink
Old 08 September 2002, 21:51   #9
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay

use a menu to link to the different reviews (simple text will do), this will help when you add more review *wink*wink
Yeah I do plan to include a menu (the links are the start of it) and I also plan more reviews. A complete list of BBros reviews for starters. Then once Ive got the hang of it, who knows.
Old 08 September 2002, 22:35   #10
Djay
95th User

will you accept readers reviews?
Old 08 September 2002, 22:50   #11
Jim

Nice & simple (I don't mean that badly) site. Simple design, the best type of web design.

I hope Superfrog9 is reading this !

Anyway - 2 things I should say:

1 - Try and distinguish the links - I didn't know the Bitmap Bros was a external link til I clicked it. And Gods is a review - internal link. They need to be seperated or something.

2 - Whilst the colours match well, it is nicest to try and keep a consistent colour throughout the site.

I look forward to reviewing it again when you have more content.

Keep it in this style - don't start incorporating loads of graphics or that 200k Flash rubbish that Akira does !!

Old 08 September 2002, 22:52   #12
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi
"page created with Easy Designer"

Did you actually did anything yourself?
Yeah, I did the reviews myself. As for the site building, I only used the tools with Easy Designer as I have NO KNOWLEDGE of such things. Any other CONSTRUCTIVE comments?

@Djay
Yeah mate, when its a bit more complete and Ive learned a bit more.

@Jim
Cheers for your comments mate, they are appreciated.
Old 08 September 2002, 23:00   #13
Drake1009

Constructive comment : Try learning HTML for at least clean up purposes. I haven't looked at the source code, but almost every single program which creates HTML makes a lot of redundant data in there. If you can just know enough HTML to root out those comments it'd save a bit on bandwidth usage if the site ever becomes really large.

Oh, and don't go making frames for the menu (my opinion), of course they are nice working with and everything but in the end something always seem to go wrong when you make them.
Old 08 September 2002, 23:01   #14
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi
"page created with Easy Designer"

Did you actually did anything yourself?
Don't be so negative. We were negative against Superfrog9's site becuase it was basically shit. It looked horrible, was too gimicky and had crap unfunny content.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't really give a s**t how a site was made. Yes we could sit and call people lamers and laugh at them if it did make us feel better. But things are different to back when I was 13 and it was cool to laugh at a lamer.

You can have a perfecty useable 2 color hand-coded site. You can have a prefectly useable mega-flash site.

There is a saying "A bad workman blames his tools".

Surely in reverse this kind of means you are a good web designer or a bad web designer, it doesn't matter a s**t if you use Notepad or Super-dooper $999999 Dreamweaver 10001 !

Dastardly's content is brief. But this is a start. What is there is good. It's like when you move into a old house. You don't decorate everything in one go - you work on one room at a time.

Show me a good desinger and I'll make them a web-designer.

Show me a good HTML programmer and if they can colour co-ordinate their clothes they might just have a chance !

Old 08 September 2002, 23:19   #15
Djay
95th User

my first website was a big bag of shite... but i learned...

creating websites using Hotmetal, Frontpage and Dreamweaver is easy (Hotmetal is very easy btw)...

what is important is the content, the statement that you are making. i've seen loads of really flashy, plug-in this.. plug in that.. site that are full of total crap or just copies other people's content...

you are creating a simple, yet affective way of passing on your opinion about something you enjoy... don't let anyone put you off.

we all started somewhere, you'll learn alot from looking at websites, what do YOU think looks good?
Old 08 September 2002, 23:27   #16
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

As I only have a 56k connection at the minute, I appreciate sites that are uncluttered and to the point. I also like the minimalist look of designs by the Designers Republic for example. Yeah my site may be just a cut n paste type creation but I am learning a little about linking pages etc, and before today I had never even heard of a meta tag. So this is a useful start and I do intend to go on from this.

"I do believe though that some of the members here go out of their way to moan and look down their noses at the less experienced users"

V1.1
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/dastardly0...dventure0.html

Last edited by Dastardly; 08 September 2002 at 23:48.
Old 09 September 2002, 06:22   #17
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Thumbs up

Your reviews are class. No smart-assed waste of time, just clear, simple and refined views with great flow.
Your review of "Gods", if that does not convince some peecee 3D freak to play a piece of gold like that, nothing will.
Old 09 September 2002, 17:54   #18
Djay
95th User

Quote:
"I do believe though that some of the members here go out of their way to moan and look down their noses at the less experienced users"
this must rub off from their Amiga days....
Old 09 September 2002, 23:46   #19
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Cheers Fred The site may not be the most technically impressive, but the reviews do the job intended, which I suppose is the main thing.
Old 10 September 2002, 00:13   #20
Djay
95th User

if you are going to have a non-bitmaps bros section, can i send you a txt version of my frontier review.... ????????