English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 15 July 2016, 04:05   #1
joethezombie

I need help preparing the SD card for use in A3000 with SCSI2SD

I have an Amiga3000 I would like to get up and running. I bought an SCSI2SD card, and I am trying to install Workbench 2.04 on the SD card using FS-UAE on my iMac.

So this whats going on. I prepared the SD card: (my device is /dev/disk3)
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk3 bs=1 count=1024
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/disk3

I created a configuration in FS-UAE 2.6.2 matching my A3000, using Kickstart 2.04 (37.175)(A3000).

I modified the configuration file by adding:
Code:
  hard_drive_0 = /dev/disk3
  hard_drive_0_type = rdb
Using this configuration, I boot the Workbench2.04 Install ADF. Using the CLI, I start HDToolBox with the command:
Code:
  DF0:Tools/HDToolBox uaehf.device
This starts HDToolBox, and I can see my SD card. I read the information from the drive, save changes. I then move to partitioning and create two partitions of size 1.9GB in the first 4GB of space. The SD card is 8GB, but I leave the rest of the drive unpartitioned.

I format the partitions using CLI again, like this:
Code:
  format drive DH0: name WB_2.x noicons quick ffs
  format drive DH1: name Work noicons quick ffs
I reboot, (again using the Install ADF) and I see the partitions on the workbench. Now here is where I get problems. Attempting to install the system, I get the

Code:
System Request
-------------------
Volume
WB_2.x
is not validated
[Retry] [Cancel]
And this is where I am stuck. In fact, trying to copy any files to the WB_2.x or Work partitions results in this System Request, almost as if the partitions are read only.

I verified the permissions on the SD card /dev/disk3
Code:
  iMac:~ Joe$ ls -lOe /dev/disk3
  brw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator  -   1,  10 Jul 14 19:15 /dev/disk3
A little help?

Last edited by joethezombie; 16 July 2016 at 02:57. Reason: typo
Old 15 July 2016, 06:44   #2
joethezombie

OK, After a little more work I found I had set the memory incorrectly in the FS-UAE options. It helps greatly if you don't set the Fast RAM to 0KB. *smacks head*

Once given some working space, the procedure worked and I was able to install 2.04 to the SD card. Too late to test it in the A3000/SCSI2SD tonight. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old 15 July 2016, 07:03   #3
emufan

maybe it has something todo with the MaxTransfer setting of your partitions.
i think they should be set to 0x1FE00 ( to be set in HDToolBox).
you can read a better or more information here. not sure if this also applies to SCSI
disks, but since you are using a IDE SD card on the very end, it may apply aswell.

good luck
Old 15 July 2016, 20:12   #4
Hewitson

Pretty sure it's a MaxTransfer issue as said above. Definitely not a fast ram issue. An Amiga with no fast mem is very normal, most of them were sold without it.
Old 15 July 2016, 20:37   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is not maxtransfer. Max transfer problem only happens with A600/A1200/A4000 built-in IDE (driver does split transfer using weird way, way that become undefined in ATA2 spec)
Old 15 July 2016, 21:30   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethezombie View Post
I reboot, (again using the Install ADF) and I see the partitions on the workbench. Now here is where I get problems. Attempting to install the system, I get the

Code:
System Request
-------------------
Volume
WB_2.x
is not validated
[Retry] [Cancel]
And this is where I am stuck. In fact, trying to copy any files to the WB_2.x or Work partitions results in this System Request, almost as if the partitions are read only.
Add more RAM to FS-UAE. FFS needs a lot of RAM to validate. The partitions will magically become available once there is enough RAM to build the bitmap.
Old 16 July 2016, 01:18   #7
joethezombie

Spot on thomas. I had inadvertently set Fast RAM to 0KB. After giving the system some RAM, everything worked out as it should. Listen guys, it was definitely lack of RAM that caused the issue. 100% reproducible, and not related to MaxTransfer. Attempting the SCSI2SD install now in my real Amiga 3000.
Old 16 July 2016, 03:57   #8
kneehighspy

i ran into a similar issue with installing an scsi2sd hard drive on my Amiga 1000 (via a2091 / zorro II adapter) whenever i used hdtools to create a large partition, when trying to format, it would say not enough memory and format would fail.

so i used smaller partition sizes and it worked fine. this A1000 had 2meg of fast ram and of course 512kb of chip ram.
Old 18 July 2016, 02:57   #9
obitus1990

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk3 bs=1 count=1024
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/disk3

^^^ I tried to do this business with DD...I changed the /dev/disk3 to match the /dev/diskname (in my case /dev/disk8s1) of my card I am trying to mount into FSUAE, but, I get an error that the resource is busy. It's not being used in any way, as far as I can tell. How to get around this, Joe?
Old 18 July 2016, 06:13   #10
joethezombie

You need to unmount the resource first. Open Disk Utility, find your drive on the left hand side, select any partitions that are mounted under it, and click the "Unmount" button at the top of the Disk Utility window.

--->Please be *very* careful.<---
If you run dd on the wrong device, you will wipe out important data, or even your main drive, resulting in a non-booting computer!