English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 16 February 2010, 22:34   #1
Mantas

Memory error when playing games using WHDload

Hi all

First post so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I was lucky enough to get a friends old A1200 with 2MB Ram. I have since bought a 4GB flash hard drive which came pre installed with WB 3. After struggling for many many weeks, I finally got the installer, LHA extractor and WHDload setup. have a few games that came with the HD installer and these work fine. I have also downloaded and copied the games to the HD via WinUAE.

However, most games I try and play don't work. They either say that it needs the kick34005.A500 ROM (although I have a copy of it in the correct directory) or is says it needs more memory. After more searching and research, I eventually discovered that what it needs is more video memory. I then confirmed this by setting the video mem on UAE to 4MB while booting off my flash drive. All the games worked but obviously not on the A1200.

So my question is...how do I go about getting more video mem? I see you can buy these accelerator cards but I'm not sure that I really need it.

Also, just out of curiosity, why does a game like GODS work perfectly if playing off floppies but then needs more mem to play off the HD?

Thanks for your help.

PS..........I am still a total noob at understanding the workings of the Amiga but I am keen to learn cause it was my dream machine as a kid.

Old 16 February 2010, 22:47   #2
Fabie
Banned

if you want to use whdload to play games from hardisk you need to purchase a turboboard for your A1200 or at least a ram board with at least 4mb of ram
most whdload games uses fast memory....in your case you haven't fast memory so you need same
Old 16 February 2010, 22:48   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi there,

To use most WHDLoad games on a real Amiga you will need a memory upgrade either an SRAM card the fits in the PCMCIA slot or a expansion board that goes in the trap door under the amiga.

The latter is the better option as the memory will be addressed in 32 bit and run faster.

One of these will cost around £20-£40 depending on supply & demand.

They will give you 2, 4 or 8mb fast ram which WHDLoad will use to load the game files into memory.

If you use an 8mb expansion board you will not be able to use the PCMCIA port at the same time as the memory is addressed in the same space. Some boards allow you to configure them memory to 4mb or use a 4mb Simm so that you can have use of the PCMCIA port.

An accelerator card will have an upgraded CPU and most support upwards of 8mb, these cards are usually PCMCIA friendly but will cost upwards of £60

For WHDLoad I would reccomend a 4 or 8mb trap door expansion.

Steve.