RetroComputerMuseum

LOL!
Thanks for that - very good!

DrewPee (Andy)
Old 16 July 2008, 09:16   #23
DrewPee70
RetroComputerMuseum

RCM update . . .

Just a small update . . . we now have over 50 consoles/computers online . . . please visit us and let us know what you think . . . sign up to the forums . . .

Regards
Andy
Old 16 July 2008, 10:20   #24
Harrison
classicamiga.com

Looks like things are coming along nicely for your project.

How are you going to be funding the project to pay for the physical premises and the construction of displays etc? Have you looked into local or government community project grants? I know there are grants available for local art, culture and other projects, so you might be able to somehow fit your project into the criteria of one of those. Or even somehow link into the Science Museum.

One other thought I had was in regard to support material. You could try to approach the original developers/inventors (if still alive) of each machine to see if they could offer some input into the displays and content of the museum. Interviews with them, concept drawings for the original designs of the systems etc...
Old 16 July 2008, 10:52   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewPee70 View Post
Just a small update . . . we now have over 50 consoles/computers online . . . please visit us and let us know what you think . . . sign up to the forums . . .

Regards
Andy
Hi Andy,

really nice update I hope you find a building for your collection soon.
Keep it up
Old 18 July 2008, 16:24   #26
DrewPee70
RetroComputerMuseum

Funding etc.

We have looked at grants etc. Until we know exactly where the building will be we don't know what we can get. The most of the money will be coming from a business loan. I thouhgt about asking Bill Gates if he would like to donate some of his Massive fortune!

The developers/designers of most of the machines SHOULD stil be alive, I know that Clive Sinclair is definately about BUT he won't/doesn't get involved in anything like this. This would be something I would look at when we are further along.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Regards
Andy
Old 18 July 2008, 16:55   #27
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

there are many charitable charities that you could approach

the deaf, blind, learning difficulties etc. obviously you will need to look at how you will service/cater for such a clientèle however
Old 18 July 2008, 17:20   #28
DrewPee70
RetroComputerMuseum

Zetr0,
Yeah I know where you are coming from, another idea we have is to open it up to schools, Im sure that a lot of school children would benefit from the experience of older computers/games systems.

Regards
Andy
Old 22 July 2008, 13:37   #29
Harrison
classicamiga.com

That is a good idea. Somehow tie it into the current IT curriculum to show school children the history of computing.

Also see if there are any project budgets available from the British museums.

Or sponsorships from one of the current big IT companies such as IBM, Sun, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft etc... The console developers love such projects as a way to advertise their latest hardware. Also a great way to get free next gen hardware into the exhibition to show the latest in the history of the computer/gaming timeline.
Old 22 July 2008, 14:13   #30
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Get rid of the white sheet in the screenshots.
Old 23 July 2008, 15:57   #31
DrewPee70
RetroComputerMuseum

What would you recommend instead of the white sheet?
I just thought it was neutral so worked okay?

Andy
Old 23 July 2008, 16:16   #32
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
What would you recommend instead of the white sheet?
I just thought it was neutral so worked okay?
It does look a little halfhearted with the wrinkly sheet. I think there are two alternative extremes:
  • Either forget neutral altogether and make proper action shots, show the hardware in its "natural environment", if you have an old TV and some appropriate furniture handy, make it look like it would've back in the day. Or ...
  • Go for a proper (mini-)photo studio with flat screens and proper lighting, so the background completely disappears (or looks nice and uniform). Sometimes you can get "home photo studio" cubes (basically a small-ish cube made of white screens, only open on one side, along with some small flood lights) fairly cheap, although I'm not sure how big the cheap ones get.
I think for a museum type of thing, the former approach is more appropriate. I mean you don't necessarily have to stage a retro environment, but why not show the hardware in species-appropriate surroundings and more or less hooked up?

The latter approach is really better for advertising and such, although I guess depending on how you look at it, making pictures that look fresh, new, and professional might also be an interesting take.
Old 23 July 2008, 18:18   #33
DrewPee70
RetroComputerMuseum

Thanks for that - I will take your comments on board! Thinking about it logically I have a friend who is a professional photographer, maybe he could help? Time to call in some favours me thinks!

Thanks again
Andy
Old 23 July 2008, 18:30   #34
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Thanks for that - I will take your comments on board! Thinking about it logically I have a friend who is a professional photographer, maybe he could help? Time to call in some favours me thinks!
Heh, that's a better variant of the second option of course.

I personally still prefer action shots. Seeing the old machines in a more realistic setting makes for warmer, fuzzier feelings.

But yeah, it's up to you of course. Maybe you can do both; especially once you do have a location you could add photographs of the actual exhibits (which I assume will be laid out with love and care ).
Old 29 July 2008, 09:01   #35
DrewPee70
RetroComputerMuseum

Open Day . . .

Right then . . . we are planning an Open Day (1 Day ONLY)

On Sunday, 16th November we are having an Open Day - an ALL day event!
The Venue is a Swannington Village Hall, which is in a little village right next to where I live in Coalville, Leicestershire.

There will be (hopefully) around 20 or so systems there including Sinclair Spectrums, Commodore 64s and Amigas, Amstrad CPC 464, Sega machines, Nintendo Machines and some other bits to play on!

If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact me either by our website, www.retrocomputermuseum.co.uk or via email andyrcm@live.com.

Your support would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Andy
Old 29 July 2008, 09:24   #36
jimbob005

Send a message via MSN to jimbob005
@DrewPee70
couldn't you get 2 of each system in your museum and on the second one open her up and point out the chips and devlepment of each system?
i dont live to far from you im over in church greasly so i will pop over on the open day and have a chat and a look around. You could get a lot of ideas from the open day

james
Old 29 July 2008, 09:36   #37
DrewPee70
RetroComputerMuseum

James,
Wicked - thanks for that idea . . . I can do that with some systems, especially the computers . . . It would be great to see you there! Are you thinking of joining our forums?

Andy
Old 29 July 2008, 11:29   #38
jimbob005

Send a message via MSN to jimbob005
all ready there mate its a nice forum easy to use. i hope i can help some how

james
Old 29 July 2008, 11:30   #39
DrewPee70
RetroComputerMuseum

James,
You already have - thanks for the tip about the CF adapter!!! Nice one!
Thanks for joining the forums - your input is very much appreciated!
Regards
Andy
Old 03 September 2008, 21:17   #40
DrewPee70
RetroComputerMuseum

RCM Open Day - Tickets Now On Sale

Hello everybody,
Just to let you know that tickets are now on sale for the Retro Computer Museum Open Day.
Available here . . . http://retrocomputermuseum.co.uk/for....php?board=9.0
Hope to see some of you there!