English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 25 January 2012, 22:27   #61
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I have discovered that Disk Blocks 253-263 (Track 11, Head 1), which are each overwritten with a copy of Disk Block 252 (Track 11, Head 0, Sector 10) on the Nibble-copied disk image and Disk Blocks 1034-1044 (Track 47, Head 0) which are each overwritten with a copy of Disk Block 1033 (Track 46, Head 1, Sector 10) on the Nibble-copied disk image are all present and correct on the DiskDoctored disk image as well!

Tomorrow, I will import Disk Blocks 253-263 and 1034-1044 from the DiskDoctored disk image into my WIP image. This should bring about a good few fixes which I'll post the details of then.

(Actually, I have already repaired Disk Blocks 1034, 1036 and 1037 in my WIP image by importing AmigaBASIC data from the AC-Basic Compiler v1.2 disk.)
Importing Disk Blocks 253-263 (Track 11, Head 1) has fixed the 'LaserChess' file!

In addition, importing Disk Blocks 1034-1044 (Track 47, Head 0) has:
  1. Introduced the file header 'me', complete with a next hash-chain entry, fixing an orphan file and adding 'Jump Ball' to the hash-chain.
  2. Fixed the broken file 'Marbles'.
  3. Introduced the file header 'Canfield', complete with a next hash-chain entry, fixing a broken orphan file and adding the other 'Canfield' file and 'Disk.info' into the hash-chain; the latter of which has restored the disk's Workbench icon!
  4. Introduced the file header 'TheHermit', fixing another broken orphan file.
  5. Introduced the file header 'BoulderBob', fixing yet another broken orphan file.
Seeing that Compute! disk icon on the Workbench really makes it feel like this disk is shaping up nicely now!

I'm looking forward to see what you can salvage from the erstwhile Workbench Fonts disk and what else the original Compute Games disk holds which might help fix the other bad tracks.

Last edited by prowler; 28 January 2012 at 01:15.
Old 26 January 2012, 22:07   #62
prowler
Global Moderator

Earlier this evening, I noticed that the orphan file in Block 1212 with an overwritten header in Block 1184 was the same size (346 bytes) as the broken 'VirusKillers.info' file with overwritten data in Block 1085, so copied Disk Block 1212 into Block 1085, replaced the Header key, recalculated the checksum and wrote back to the disk. The VirusKillers directory now appears as a standard Workbench 1.3 drawer in the window which opens when double-clicking the Compute Games disk icon!

This has also removed one of the phantom 'Rememory' file entries when listing the disk's contents from the CLI*.

* Actually, it hasn't, so I'm stil not sure what's causing those.

Last edited by prowler; 30 January 2012 at 22:07.
Old 27 January 2012, 01:50   #63
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron View Post
I also found another corrupted disk that used to be called Workbench Fonts.
My bad, I had 2 disks I was checking the other day, one used to be Workbench fonts and one used to be Kindwords Lee, both were corrupted. It was the Kindwords Lee disk, my copy of kindwords, that had some of the folders and files from Compute Games on it.

I have uploaded a zip file with a few copies of the corrupt Kindwords Lee disk, one zip file containing all the files DiskDoctor thought were good on the Kindwords Lee disk and 2 more nibble copies of the Compute Games disk, but I don't know if they are any better
Old 27 January 2012, 15:47   #64
vidarh

This is my favorite thread to follow at the moment.... Fascinating to follow the recovery process... And hats off for the level of dedication.
Old 27 January 2012, 22:36   #65
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
My bad, I had 2 disks I was checking the other day, one used to be Workbench fonts and one used to be Kindwords Lee, both were corrupted. It was the Kindwords Lee disk, my copy of kindwords, that had some of the folders and files from Compute Games on it.

I have uploaded a zip file with a few copies of the corrupt Kindwords Lee disk, one zip file containing all the files DiskDoctor thought were good on the Kindwords Lee disk and 2 more nibble copies of the Compute Games disk, but I don't know if they are any better
Thanks for those files, Ze. I'll see what I can do with them.

There are still quite a few missing data blocks in my WIP image which I'm hoping to find matches for in the files you uploaded for me today. I think I've exhausted the possibilities of finding anything more on the images you uploaded previously, but I'm not quite done with them yet.

I've been feeding file and directory names onto a blank floppy disk image to see which hash table entries correspond to likely names for the remaining orphan files and missing directories. I'll post a full report on that tomorrow.

In the meantime, i you can remember the names of any files which might have been on that disk which have not been mentioned yet, then please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidarh View Post
This is my favorite thread to follow at the moment.... Fascinating to follow the recovery process... And hats off for the level of dedication.
Hi vidarh,

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

I find this process fascinating as well. Nearly every time I attempt to recover another disk, I gain more knowledge of their structure. And when I think that knowledge is more or less complete, I will start a thread with the aim of passing that knowledge on.

Last edited by prowler; 27 January 2012 at 22:52.
Old 28 January 2012, 14:40   #66
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidarh View Post
Ditto! This is a great thread - even though I know ZERO about this kinda thing, I thought I might absorb some of it just by reading.
Old 29 January 2012, 01:19   #67
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the upload, Ze!

Unfortunately, both nibble-copies of the Compute Games disk are identical (after Track 0) to the nibble-copied and TransDisked images of the original, damaged disk you uploaded for me earlier.

But the Workbench Fonts and Kindwords Lee disk images and salvaged files are a different matter.

The Kindwords Lee disk images are identical (after Track 0, Head 0). Both these and the Workbench Fonts disk image behave as non-DOS disks in WinUAE, but when you add standard OFS 1.3 Boot sectors to them, they mount as AmigaDOS disks.

(I should mention here that I'm using Kickstart and Workbench 3.1 in WinUAE. Although I can now get my WIP image mounted in WinUAE as an AmigaDOS disk with the KS/WB 3.1 setup, I get a 'Disk not validated' error message, followed by a Guru Meditation and reboot cycle if I double-click the disk icon in a KS/WB1.3 environment. This should be cured when I eventually introduce a valid bitmap.)

The Kindwords Lee and Workbench Fonts disk images contain the same files, but they're not necessarily identical. However, I have identified nine files which, if they match the existing data blocks of the equivalent files on my WIP disk image, can be used to fix the same number of broken and/or orphan files!

These files are the ones I'm going to use:
Arcade Games/graphics.bmap
Card Games.info
Card Games/me.info
Strategy Games/IFF Slide Puzzle
Strategy Games/IFF Slide Puzzle.info
Strategy Games/Karma
Strategy Games/Karma.info
Strategy Games/The Hermit
Strategy Games/Word War.info

The 'graphics.bmap' and 'Karma' files are different sizes to those on the Compute Games disk, but they match orphan files for size. (They wouldn't be the only duplicate file entries on this disk. )

The 'Arcade Games.info' and 'Strategy Games.info' files on the Kindwords Lee disks are each six bytes larger than those on the Compute Games disk, and the 'Card Games.info' file on the Kindwords disk is six bytes larger than an orphan file on the Compute Games disk, so in this case the file is being used only to construct a suitable header for that one.

There is no trace of the directories 'Arcade Games', 'Card Games' and 'Strategy Games' on the Compute Games disk except the presence of corresponding .info files so, if they ever existed, they must have been deleted from the CLI.

The Compute Games 'graphics.bmap' file matches that found in the 'Strategy Games' folder of the Kindwords Lee and Workbench Fonts disks. When another 'graphics.bmap' file header is constructed for the orphan file matching the one found in the 'Arcade Games' folder, it will be necessary to separate them and, for this reason, at least one new folder must be created, so the best solution will be to resurrect all three to match the existing .info files.

Of course, I have no way of knowing which disk blocks these belong(ed) in, but I guess that following the Root Sector in Track 40, Head 0 would be the most realistic place for them. (Disk Blocks 881-886 are still unassigned, but I have 881 in mind for the Bitmap Block.)

In the event that a better image of the original Compute Games disk somehow becomes available, then I may have to rethink this.

Perhaps you could try the excellent DiskSalv 4 on the write-protected, original, damaged Compute Games disk, Ze. The files can be salvaged to another drive, such as an external floppy drive or the hard drive.

I really hope that more can yet be salvaged from the original disk. The differences I described previously between the DiskDoctored and Nibble-copied disk images suggest that the overwritten disk blocks we are seeing are actually intact on the original disk, and even when the nine files I have identified today have been fixed, there is still much to be done...
Old 29 January 2012, 22:11   #68
prowler
Global Moderator

'Card Games.info' was an orphan file in my WIP disk image with a missing header in Disk Block 887 ($377). The data block sequence is 891 ($37B), 892 ($37C), 893 ($37D) and 894 ($37E) and the filesize is 1806 ($70E). A realistic date and time stamp was derived by extrapolating those of the 'Arcade Games.info' and 'Strategy Games.info' files.

The hash value of the 'Card Games.info' filename is 48*. The 49th long word of the Root Block hash table was empty, so the 'Card Games.info' file had previously been deleted. It was undeleted after reconstructing the header by making the File Header Block ($377) the 49th Root directory hash table entry.

Thus was the 'Card Games.info' file fixed. The 'Card Games' icon now shows up in the window which opens when the disk icon is double-clicked in Workbench.

* The first long word of the hash table is used for an entry with a hash value of 0.
Old 30 January 2012, 22:30   #69
Ze Emulatron

I got out my A500+ because I needed Kickstart 2 to run DiskSalv2(DiskSalv11_32.lha from Aminet), I thought I had DiskSalv 4 that you linked to earlier to use but I couldn't find it on my computer (downloaded it now), on actual hardware and to use CrossDOS, and the Original Compute games disk actually mounted one time, with errors. I think someone must have already run diskdoctor on the disk before to get it to go, because the games are all in the root of the disk and not in their folders.

I have made some more disk images that I transferred across using CrossDOS, hopefully that gives better images than transdisk and the serial cable did, to my PC I just have to put the pieces back together and then I can upload them to the zone.

Last edited by Ze Emulatron; 30 January 2012 at 22:39.
Old 30 January 2012, 23:04   #70
prowler
Global Moderator

The Compute Games disk contains remnants of 'The Hermit.info' and 'Switchbox.info' file headers in Blocks 493 and 494, respectively, with the parent directory $371 (881). 'The Hermit' and 'Switchbox' are strategy games, so this indicates that the 'Strategy Games' directory header was originally in Disk Block 881.

The Hash value of the 'Strategy Games' directory is 14. The 15th Root directory hash table entry was $3CA (970). There is a file header missing from Disk Block 970, which causes a requester to pop up twice with the message "Error validating Lazarus. Block 970 bad header type" when mounting the disk image in WinUAE.

Since the 'Strategy Games' directory in Block 881 is likely to have been created before the file was introduced in Block 970, I thought I would replace the 15th Root directory hash table entry with $371 (881) and add the next hash-chain entry $3CA (970) to the 'Strategy Games' directory Header in Block 881 (i.e., the 15th Root directory hash-chain would now start with the 'Strategy Games' directory, and all subsequent entries would move along one place).

In fact, the 15th Root directory hash-chain currently ends with the file in Disk Block 970, because of the missing header, together with any next hash-chain entry it might contain.

Now, double-clicking the 'Strategy Games' icon in the 'Compute Games' window opens an empty 'Strategy Games' window, ready to be repopulated later, so the 'Strategy Games' directory has been succesfully resurrected!

Later, when they are all ready, it will be possible to move the games files from the Root directory back into their respective subfolders merely by replacing the parent directory entries and editing the next hash-chain entries in the file header blocks and moving the hash table entries from the Root block to the subdirectory header blocks without touching anything else except the checksums, though this won't be trivial.

The "Error validating Lazarus. Block 970 bad header type" requester still pops up when the disk image is mounted, but this error won't be fixed until that header or the file is, unfortunately.

The 'Strategy Games' directory in Disk Block 881 will prevent the bitmap from going there. However, by the time I have finished fixing up this disk, there will have been so many changes to the directory structure, if not the block placement, that it will probably not matter if one of the existing bitmap blocks is overwritten instead.

Incidentally, the Workbench Fonts and Kindwords Lee disk images each have four consecutive, identical instances of the 'CD' file entry in the 'c' directory, and this might help establish the reason for the phantom 'Rememory' file entries on the Compute Games disk.

Quote:
I got out my A500+ because I needed Kickstart 2 to run DiskSalv2(DiskSalv11_32.lha from Aminet), I thought I had DiskSalv 4 that you linked to earlier to use but I couldn't find it on my computer (downloaded it now), on actual hardware and to use CrossDOS, and the Original Compute games disk actually mounted one time, with errors. I think someone must have already run diskdoctor on the disk before to get it to go, because the games are all in the root of the disk and not in their folders.
Yes, I have started making preparations for moving the games from the Root directory to their respective folders as you will see above.

Quote:
I have made some more disk images that I transferred across using CrossDOS, hopefully that gives better images than transdisk and the serial cable did, to my PC I just have to put the pieces back together and then I can upload them to the zone.
Thanks for sticking with this, mate. I'm sure we'll be successful, eventually.

Last edited by prowler; 02 February 2012 at 21:10.
Old 30 January 2012, 23:45   #71
Ze Emulatron

I uploaded Compute Games lot 3.zip to the zone. The ADFs that say "from DMS" were created with DMS and put on PC formatted floppys (CrossDOS) and transferred to my PC and put back to adf in WinUAE. I had a look at those disk images and I think all the disk images that say "from DMS" are worse then the other images I created earlier. The other images with the same name but minus "from DMS" are from the same disks but were sent to the PC via Transdisk and serial cable.
Old 30 January 2012, 23:55   #72
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks for trying out all those variations, Ze!

I think you may be more successful with DiskSalv and salvaging to another drive.

DiskSalv will save any files it salvages from the disk complete with the date/time stamps (more or less) and attributes intact when it can get this information from the header blocks.

For this reason, it is imperative if you are using the CLI to copy these files to another disk for transfer to your PC, that you use the /CLONE command line switch to preserve them, as this information will be required to rebuild the disk's missing sectors properly.
Old 31 January 2012, 00:23   #73
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
For this reason, it is imperative if you are using the CLI to copy these files to another disk for transfer to your PC, that you use the /CLONE command line switch to preserve them, as this information will be required to rebuild the disk's missing sectors properly.
I don't use the CLI to copy files, I just image the whole disk.

I ran DiskSalv2 on the Original Write Protected Compute Games Disk in DF1: and recovered the files to DF0:. Then I used DMS to image the whole disk from DF0: into a DMS file on PC0: (PC formatted Floppy, CrossDOS) transfered the DMS file into WinUAE and wrote it back to an ADF file.

I also used Transdisk to create an ADF of the Disk with the recovered files on my PC

If I recall DiskSalv reported 5 errors and 50 something warnings when recovering files.
Old 31 January 2012, 00:59   #74
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't use the CLI to copy files, I just image the whole disk.

I ran DiskSalv2 on the Original Write Protected Compute Games Disk in DF1: and recovered the files to DF0:. Then I used DMS to image the whole disk from DF0: into a DMS file on PC0: (PC formatted Floppy, CrossDOS) transfered the DMS file into WinUAE and wrote it back to an ADF file.

I also used Transdisk to create an ADF of the Disk with the recovered files on my PC

If I recall DiskSalv reported 5 errors and 50 something warnings when recovering files.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. That will preserve all the information just the same.

Don't worry too much about the warnings and error notifications. It's never as bad as DiskSalv likes to make out. There's really not a great deal missing now and I've probably fixed most of those errors already.

Also, it might be worth salvaging the disk from DF0: to DF1: instead. The two drives you are using may have slightly different read head characteristics and alignment which could improve (or worsen, unfortunately) your chances of salvaging the missing information from the disk.
Old 31 January 2012, 01:08   #75
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Also, it might be worth salvaging the disk from DF0: to DF1: instead. The two drives you are using may have slightly different read head characteristics and alignment which could improve (or worsen, unfortunately) your chances of salvaging the missing information from the disk.
I thought of that, I might have to take the floppy drive out of my A500 and use in my A500+ as my A500+ currently has a PC HD Floppy drive converted for use in Amiga, Teac 235HF-4291U (it had jumpers to configure it), as its original drive stopped working correctly.
Old 31 January 2012, 01:17   #76
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I thought of that, I might have to take the floppy drive out of my A500 and use in my A500+ as my A500+ currently has a PC HD Floppy drive converted for use in Amiga, Teac 235HF-4291U (it had jumpers to configure it), as its original drive stopped working correctly.
That's great! I always try salvaging troublesome disks in as many drives as I can (I have a collection of nearly 50 now ). Sometimes using another drive can give astonishing results, and the drive which works best for one disk can make no difference whatsoever with another.
Old 31 January 2012, 13:18   #77
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Whilst browsing through the EAB file server I noticed a good few of Computes Disks are on there - which may contain some of those games. I downloaded the first disk and it came up with Lazerchess - although I guess this may not be the version on the 'Big Book of Amiga' master disks you are trying to recover. BTW Ze, I notice you are still rather reluctant to try the original disk with Disksalv V4 as has been often mentioned. I uploaded it (along with Last Hope - an excellent OCS package) for you into the Zone; but it may have dropped out by now... I think DSalv 4 is just about the best option out there.

Last edited by lifeschool; 31 January 2012 at 13:24.
Old 01 February 2012, 00:46   #78
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
BTW Ze, I notice you are still rather reluctant to try the original disk with Disksalv V4 as has been often mentioned. I uploaded it (along with Last Hope - an excellent OCS package) for you into the Zone; but it may have dropped out by now... I think DSalv 4 is just about the best option out there.
I was going to use DiskSalv 4 the other day, I thought I had downloaded it but couldn't find it on my computer.

I just tried to test DiskSalv 4 from http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=774599&postcount=12 and it just crashes when it attempts to open on the quickstart A500+ config in WinUAE, it works on A1200 config, but I don't have an A1200.
Old 01 February 2012, 01:01   #79
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Ze,

I have some great news for you tonight!

WinUAE mounts 'DiskSalv Compute Games.adf as an AmigaDOS disk with the volume name PowerCopy. In the window which opens when double-clicking the disk icon, there are some icons I have not seen before - 'Karma', 'Boulder Bob', 'Word War' and 'me'.

The full extent of the salvage operation is revealed by listing the disk's contents from the CLI:

Code:
Directory "df0:"
Chain Reaction              5981 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:53:54
exec.bmap                     27 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:53:51
troybw                     22764 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:53:49
The Hermit.info              806 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 21:55:44
Rememory.info               2054 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:41:00
Chain Reaction.info         1454 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 01:29:33
Laser Chess.info            2710 ----rwed 14-Apr-87 16:44:12
graphics.bmap                 15 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:53:33
Euchre.info                 1574 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:37:10
Climber 5                   8915 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:44:59
Jump Ball.info              3590 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:39:48
Biker Dave                  6382 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:44:53
Biker Dave.info             1478 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:38:16
Jump Ball                   6792 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:44:47
'  .info'                   1790 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:38:46
Disk.info-0                 2214 ----rwed 20-Mar-91 20:36:06
Word War.info               2294 ----rwed 20-Mar-91 22:24:54
Marbles-0                   8664 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:44:37
Climber 5.info              2102 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:39:07
Marbles.info                1862 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:39:27
Strategy Games.info         2334 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:14:22
Arcade Games.info           2526 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:12:29
VirusKillers                 Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:14:34
c                            Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:15:32
t                            Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:15:43
devs                         Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:22:10
libs                         Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:23:56
l                            Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:24:09
s                            Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:24:13
DISKSALV-EXTRAS              Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:25:03
V.Killers.info             10530 ----rwed 07-Nov-88 09:20:42
Disk.info                  empty ----rwed 18-Nov-88 00:22:22
: DiskSalv ERROR: Single File Fault.
PD.pic                      7616 ----rwed 07-Nov-88 08:49:40
SwitchBox                   9898 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:29:05
me.info                      338 ----rwed 30-Mar-89 18:45:33
GDay                        2376 ----rwed 09-Sep-88 13:51:20
Rememory                    2588 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:29:25
Euchre                      5728 ----rwed 16-Jul-88 20:12:20
Climber5                    3628 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:29:18
Karma                       8788 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:29:15
LaserChess                 13286 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:29:10
SwitchBox-0                 9898 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:29:05
ty                         22168 ----rwed 07-Nov-88 09:49:32
VirusKillers.info          empty ----rwed 08-Mar-91 12:26:26
WordWar                     3995 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:28:46
files.compute                514 ----rwed 07-Nov-88 09:45:16
JumpBall                    1632 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:28:39
ChainReaction               3577 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:28:35
Monte                       2593 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:28:31
BoulderBob                  6467 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:28:27
TheHermit                   5495 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:28:23
Canfield                    5471 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:28:19
me                             6 ----rwed 30-Mar-89 18:45:34
BikerDave                   2929 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:28:11
Marbles                     1850 ----rwed 29-Jun-88 12:08:50
amigabasic                103500 ----rwed 17-Nov-88 23:33:35
IFFPuzzle                   1847 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 23:28:07
FileReader.info             1894 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 01:28:22
.info                         58 ----rwed 14-Apr-87 14:37:40
Canfield.info               2438 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:37:34
FileReader                 24752 ----rwed 14-Apr-87 13:43:40
Monte Carlo.info            2150 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:36:19
Monte Carlo                 3101 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:55:16
Euchre-0                   16620 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:55:12
Canfield-0                 10277 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:55:08
Most                       16948 ----rwed 30-Mar-89 13:07:53
ReadMe                      3755 ----rwed 18-Nov-88 00:03:17
Rememory-0                  5812 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:54:34
dos.bmap                      34 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:54:31
IFF Slide Puzzle            7513 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:54:29
Karma.info                   662 ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:41:37
Karma-0                     7936 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:54:19
Word War                    9982 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:54:15
Hermit.Main                27412 ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:54:07
Laser Chess                13537 ----rwed 14-Apr-87 16:39:58
Switchbox.info              2934 ----rwed 14-Apr-87 14:38:46
68 files - 8 directories - 1067 blocks used

Directory "df0:VirusKillers"
Virus_Checker.info         15327 ----rwed 08-Mar-91 10:40:15
Virus_Checker.doc.info      1080 ----rwed 08-Mar-91 10:40:09
Virus_Checker.doc          24194 ----rwed 08-Mar-91 10:40:06
Virus_Checker              15396 ----rwed 08-Mar-91 10:39:58
Most                       16948 ----rwed 08-Mar-91 10:39:51
How-to-use-Viruscheck.doc.info    1080 ----rwed 08-Mar-91 10:39:46
.info                         74 ----rwed 30-Mar-89 13:08:29
How-to-use-Viruscheck.doc    2771 ----rwed 08-Mar-91 10:39:41
8 files - 164 blocks used

Directory "df0:c"
Echo                         564 --p-rwed 18-Nov-88 00:11:54
SetClock                    4556 ----rwed 18-Nov-88 00:11:27
Binddrivers                 2920 ----rwed 18-Nov-88 00:11:50
AddBuffers                   876 --p-rwed 18-Nov-88 00:11:19
endcli                       692 --p-rwed 17-Nov-88 23:50:24
loadwb                      2644 ----rwed 17-Nov-88 23:50:15
6 files - 33 blocks used

Directory "df0:t"
ed-backup                    260 ----rwed 18-Nov-88 00:10:40
1 file - 2 blocks used

Directory "df0:devs"
system-configuration         232 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:53:22
ramdrive.device             2128 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:53:20
printer.device             22448 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:52:32
clipboard.device            6672 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:52:21
MountList                   2991 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:52:16
parallel.device             1812 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:52:12
narrator.device            22792 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:52:41
serial.device               5380 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:52:02
clipboards                   Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:21:10
printers                     Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:21:58
keymaps                      Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:22:23
8 files - 3 directories - 144 blocks used

Directory "df0:devs/clipboards" is empty

Directory "df0:devs/printers"
EpsonX[CBM_MPS-1250]        6824 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:53:14
HP_LaserJet                 5624 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:53:09
HP_PaintJet                 6960 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:53:05
Xerox_4020                  6524 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:53:00
generic                     1096 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:52:55
CBM_MPS1000                 5932 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:52:54
6 files - 73 blocks used

Directory "df0:devs/keymaps"
usa1                        1328 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:52:09
usa0                         992 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:52:06
2 files - 7 blocks used

Directory "df0:libs"
mathieeedoubtrans.library   15620 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:55:21
diskfont.library            4900 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:55:15
version.library              404 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:55:12
mathieeedoubbas.library     4728 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:55:10
info.library               16372 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:55:05
translator.library         10592 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:54:59
icon.library                5896 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:54:53
mathtrans.library           4280 ----rw-d 17-Nov-88 23:54:47
8 files - 134 blocks used

Directory "df0:l" is empty

Directory "df0:s"
startup-sequence             281 ----rwed 07-Nov-88 10:02:16
1 file - 2 blocks used

Directory "df0:DISKSALV-EXTRAS"
VOLUME-INFO                  105 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:15
BOOT-BLOCK                   512 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:16
BIN-4B8                      488 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:28
BIN-4B6                     1464 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:30
BIN-4B2                     2928 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:32
BIN-4BA                     1952 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:33
BIN-373                      488 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:35
BIN-378                     2440 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:40
BIN-37A                      488 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:41
BIN-379                      488 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:43
BIN-377                     1952 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:44
BIN-3C8                     7808 ----rw-d 04-Dec-92 16:24:46
DIR-375                      Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:25:02
DIR-371                      Dir ----rwed 04-Dec-92 16:25:05
12 files - 2 directories - 61 blocks used

Directory "df0:DISKSALV-EXTRAS/DIR-375"
                      empty ----rwed 21-Jul-88 22:44:41
1 file - 2 blocks used

Directory "df0:DISKSALV-EXTRAS/DIR-371"
Switchbox.info             empty ----rwed 22-Jul-88 00:41:18
The Hermit.info            empty ----rwed 21-Jul-88 21:38:08
2 files - 4 blocks used

TOTAL: 123 files - 13 directories - 1693 blocks used
Notes:
  1. 'Disk.info' has been recovered as 'Disk.info-0'.*
  2. 'Word War.info' has been recovered intact.
  3. 'Marbles' has been recovered as 'Marbles-0'.*
  4. A 'V.Killers.info' file much larger than the (broken) one I'm aware of has apparently been salvaged intact.
  5. A second, zero-length 'Disk.info' file has been salvaged.
  6. An apparently damaged 'PD.pic' file has been salvaged, but this file has already been recovered.
  7. The 'SwitchBox' file has been recovered twice; once as 'SwitchBox', and again as 'SwitchBox-0'.
  8. 'me.info has been recovered intact.
  9. 'GDay' (a file I was not previously aware of) has been recovered intact.
  10. 'Rememory' (2588 bytes) - previously a broken file with all data blocks overwritten - has been recovered intact.
  11. 'Laserchess' has been recovered intact.
  12. A zero-length 'VirusKillers.info' file has been salvaged, but this file has already been recovered.
  13. 'BoulderBob' has been recovered intact.
  14. 'TheHermit' has been recovered intact.
  15. 'Canfield' (5471 bytes) has been recovered intact.
  16. 'me' has been recovered intact.
  17. 'Marbles' (1850 bytes) has been recovered intact.
  18. 'amigabasic' has been recovered intact.
  19. 'Euchre' (16620 bytes) has been recovered as 'Euchre-0'.*
  20. 'Canfield' (10277 bytes) has been recovered as 'Canfield-0'.*
  21. 'Rememory' (5812 bytes) has been recovered as 'Rememory-0'.*
  22. 'IFF Slide Puzzle' has been recovered intact.
  23. 'Karma.info' has been recovered intact.
  24. 'Karma' (7936 bytes) has been recovered as 'Karma-0'.*
  25. Word War' has been recovered intact.
  26. 'VirusKillers/Virus_Checker' has been recovered intact.
  27. 'DIR-371' indicates a directory header in Disk Block 881 ($371). (DiskSalv has evidently based this assumption on finding 'The Hermit.info' and 'Switchbox.info' file header remnants in Disk Blocks 493 and 494.)
  28. 'DIR-375' indicates a directory header in Disk Block 885 ($375).
  29. 'BIN-373' indicates a single data block binary file header in Disk Block 883 ($373).
  30. 'BIN-377' indicates a 4 data block binary file header in Disk Block 887 ($377). (We already know that this is the 'Card Games.info' file.)
  31. 'BIN-378' indicates a 5 data block binary file header in Disk Block 888 ($378). (We already know that this is the 'IFF Slide Puzzle.info' file.)
  32. 'BIN-379' indicates a single data block binary file header in Disk Block 889 ($379). (We already know that this is the 'graphics.bmap' file.)
  33. 'BIN-37A' indicates a single data block binary file header in Disk Block 890 ($37A). (This is an orphan file with an, as yet, unknown name.)
  34. 'BIN-3C8' indicates a 16 data block binary file header in Disk Block 968 ($3C8). (This is a broken orphan file with its first data block missing from Disk Block 969 and an, as yet, unknown name.)
  35. 'BIN-4B2' indicates a 6 data block binary file header in Disk Block 1202 ($4B2). (In fact, this is a 13 data block binary file with its header and first 7 data blocks overwritten, and is almost certainly not important.)
  36. 'BIN-4B6' indicates a 3 data byte binary file header in Disk Block 1206 ($4B6). (In fact, this is a 4 data block binary file with its header and first data block overwritten, and is almost certainly not important.)
  37. 'BIN-4B8' indicates a single data byte binary file header in Disk Block 1208 ($4B8). (In fact, this is a 2 data block binary file with its header and first data block overwritten, and is almost certainly not important.)
  38. 'BIN-4BA' indicates a 4 data block binary file header in Disk Block 1210 ($4BA). (In fact, this is just an orphan file with its header overwritten. It is related to the broken orphan files indicated above in notes 35-37, and almost certainly not important.)
* This is usual when more than one file with the same name is recovered.

Notes 8-10 would seem to indicate that DiskSalv2 has read Track 49, Head 0 correctly!

Notes 22-25 would seem to indicate that DiskSalv2 has read most of Track 44, Head 0 correctly!

If everything is as it seems on the 'Disksalv Compute Games' disk, then notes 33 and 34 reveal that now the only important data still missing and preventing the full recovery of the Compute Games disk are two file headers in Disk Blocks 890 and 968 and the data in Disk Block 969!

Hey, it's just occurred to me that there's no trace of a 'Boulder Bob.info' file in the directory of this disk, and yet a 'Boulder Bob' icon pops up in the window which appears when double-clicking the disk icon...

Quote:
I just tried to test DiskSalv 4 from http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=774599&postcount=12 and it just crashes when it attempts to open on the quickstart A500+ config in WinUAE, it works on A1200 config, but I don't have an A1200.
Don't worry, Ze.

It will be sufficient to continue using DiskSalv2, but salvaging the disk from both your A500 floppy drive and the PC-compatible drive modified to work with Amiga to another drive as you did above to maximise the possibility of capturing the small amount of data which remains missing.

Last edited by prowler; 04 February 2012 at 23:04.
Old 01 February 2012, 01:14   #80
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
WinUAE mounts 'DiskSalv Compute Games.adf as an AmigaDOS disk with the volume name PowerCopy.
I think that was because I had to format the disk before I could recover the files to the disk via DiskSalv2 and I formatted the disk in PowerCopy.

Quote:
Don't worry, Ze.

It will be sufficient to continue using DiskSalv2, but salvaging the disk from both your A500 floppy drive and the PC-compatible drive modified to work with Amiga to another drive as you did above to maximise the possibility of capturing the small amount of data which remains missing.
I have also found DiskSalv3 that appears to work on the A500+ config, so I can try that too. I will have to re-setup my A500+, it lives in a plastic box in the corner of my room, poor thing.