English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 May 2015, 13:59   #1
Anubis
Retro Gamer

C.H.I.P. - Looks like R-Pi got serious competitor...

It seems that after successful kickstart campaign CHIP might become serious competitor to Raspberry Pi.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er/description

It looks promising, but imho it is bit misleading advertising, as for 9 bucks you will not get what you get with RPi, you get just processing without ability to connect to anything. You need either VGA or HDMI adapter to make it into mini computer similar to RPi.
Old 11 May 2015, 15:38   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

I am a bit sceptical about this project:

$9 (well $19 if you want some decent video output) + a huge internatinal shipping fee of $50.

Something is fishy.
Old 11 May 2015, 19:17   #3
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
$9 (well $19 if you want some decent video output) + a huge internatinal shipping fee of $50.
Something is fishy.
Nothing is fishy, shipping is 20 dollars to Argentina (dunno where you got 50 from) and that's a number that makes absolute sense, standard USPS shipping of an envelope anywhere in the world is about 13 USD.
Then again, good luck with customs over there, the thing will probably never arrive or you'll have to pay through the nose for import duties.

I backed it with a VGA header, I think this is great and am looking forward to it.
Old 11 May 2015, 19:38   #4
wolfchild

It's looking like a great project and they've already got backing for a almost a quarter of a million dollars!

I was tempted to buy one but delivery is for next May! That killed the deal for me...
Old 11 May 2015, 21:33   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Nothing is fishy, shipping is 20 dollars to Argentina (dunno where you got 50 from) and that's a number that makes absolute sense, standard USPS shipping of an envelope anywhere in the world is about 13 USD.
Then again, good luck with customs over there, the thing will probably never arrive or you'll have to pay through the nose for import duties.

I backed it with a VGA header, I think this is great and am looking forward to it.
It all depends how they will distribute. If they do the same as RPi did, then some of local stores will resell them, like Newark Element 14 in my case. This is shipping for 2 items in my order of Raspberry Pie. (RPi & Case)

Your Freight Total $5.78
Old 11 May 2015, 23:10   #6
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Perhaps this is the evolution of home computing. We started with easy to access computers, like the ZX80/81, Vic=20, culminating with the pinnacle () Amiga.

But now things have moved on. Software may not be enough. There has already been huge steps forward in DIY, easy-entry hardware kits, such as PIC and Arduino. Then the Pi, and now this.

Bring it on, I say. I love my Pi, and love PIC-programming back in the day. I wonder if they'll release an assembler for it so that the hardcore coders can start banging the metal again (please!! )
Old 11 May 2015, 23:55   #7
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Akira

Well, when first announced, International shipping was $50. I guess they got some complaints and lowered it.

And I am getting my goods thru Chile. Customs fees are honest there. And yes, argentinian fees are outrageous!
Old 15 May 2015, 17:09   #8
Juppstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post

Something is fishy.

The only fishy thing is the huge cost when you use USPS to ship worldwide. It is a gigantic ripoff and a pain for those in the US that want to sell overseas. It is a huge issue since a few years now and one of the reasons I've more or less stopped buying stuff in the US. One of the few that is able to get around this is Amazon because they internally ship it to Europe and then distribute from their warehouse there.

It is a really unfortunate situation

Old 15 May 2015, 17:25   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The RaspberryPi 2 is still clear winner.

The SoC they are using isn't quite as old as the original Pi, but it is very old (but then again it is $19).

I wonder if their VPU supports hardware audio decode or whether is is 100% software based.
Old 15 May 2015, 17:46   #10
Juppstein

According to the A13 datasheet:

VPU: video decoding (Full HD)
supports popular formats, incl. VP6/8, AVS, H.264, H.263, MPEG1/2/4
supports decoding 1920*1080@30fps
supports encoding to H.264MP up to 1920*1080@30fps

fore more: https://linux-sunxi.org/A13

Old 15 May 2015, 19:29   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

They are video formats. Not Audio formats.

A13 has no hardware audio decoder meaning that DTS to stereo downmix will use a lot of CPU power. The Cortex A8 is a lot better than the Arm11 the original RPi had so it probably won't be too bad.
Old 15 May 2015, 19:39   #12
eXeler0

Although interesting from a certain point of view... who is this for? Ppl who cant afford a €25 Raspberry?
Old 15 May 2015, 21:31   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Although interesting from a certain point of view... who is this for? Ppl who cant afford a €25 Raspberry?
The size makes the difference. I think this would be perfect for small footprint stuff like wearables.