English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 December 2013, 23:30   #1
mark_k

Resolution autoswitch and line mode options

I noticed a couple of issues related to resolution autoswitch. Not sure whether any of this is a bug or by design.

When resolution autoswitch is enabled, the line mode and interlaced line mode radio buttons are disabled. So in order to change line mode or interlaced line mode you need to un-check autoswitch, change (interlaced) line mode, then check autoswitch again.

When using an A2024 mode and resolution autoswitch...

Enable resolution autoswitch. Display squashes to half height, probably because the line mode was changed to Single automatically. Disable resolution autoswitch. The display remains squashed since Line mode is still Single. You need to change Line mode to Double or Scanlines in order for the display to appear correctly again.

When you manually set resolution to super-high res in the Display panel (so not using resolution autoswitch), A2024 modes are shown doubled in width. That can be a bit annoying, because if you change screenmodes between (say) NTSC:Super-High Res Laced and A2024, you need to manually change the resolution in the Display panel each time.
Old 27 December 2013, 20:21   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

A2024 is (I probably have said it already too many times) very special and can break other "helper" options. Perhaps A2024 mode should always disable all linemode/autoresolution/etc options.
Old 04 January 2014, 21:50   #3
mark_k

There seems to be an issue in that sometimes when you enable resolution autoswitch then switch to a super-high res mode, that isn't detected so the screen is shown at half width (every other pixel missing).

However, if you first start emulation with resolution set to normal, then set resolution to superhighres then back to normal (clicking OK to resume emulation between each step). Then after doing that, you can enable resolution autoswitch and on changing Workbench screenmode to superhighres it does display correctly (i.e. superhighres resolution is automatically set).

To hopefully clarify that, first try this:
  • Run WinUAE. Load a config which has resolution normal, resolution autoswitch disabled. Start emulation and boot Workbench. (I used an HDF where the Workbench screenmode is PAL:High Res Laced.)
  • Workbench loads with high-res laced screen.
  • Open settings window and enable resolution autoswitch. Click OK to return to emulation.
  • Change Workbench screenmode to PAL:Super-High Res Laced.
  • Screen resolution is still normal, so every other pixel is missing.
Then try this:
  • Run WinUAE. Load a config which has resolution normal, resolution autoswitch disabled. Start emulation and boot Workbench. (I used an HDF where the Workbench screenmode is PAL:High Res Laced.)
  • Workbench loads with high-res laced screen.
  • Open settings window and change resolution to Superhires. Click OK to resume emulation.
  • Open settings window and change resolution back to normal. Click OK.
  • Open settings window and enable resolution autoswitch. Click OK.
  • Workbench appears as it should (resolution automatically set to superhires).
Old 04 January 2014, 22:12   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

This is by design. Superhires support (which allows instant switch) requires more resources (bigger buffers etc), even if it is not currently enabled and 99% of users never need it.

Resolution selected in Display panel at startup becomes max used resolution.

EDIT: below are min values, max value = resolution settings at startup. There is no other way to change max values.

Following config entries can be used to force other min values (EDIT: not max):

gfx_autoresolution_min_horizontal ("lores","hires","superhires" and "vertical" = match vertical)
gfx_autoresolution_min_vertical ("single", "double", "horizontal" = match horizontal)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 04 January 2014 at 22:20. Reason: min values, not max..
Old 23 February 2014, 21:44   #5
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Perhaps A2024 mode should always disable all linemode/autoresolution/etc options.
I think that would be a good idea. At least, I can't think of any reason why someone would want the A2024 display to be squashed.

I noticed another issue relating to the new interlaced line modes (double, fields and double, fields+). This isn't related to resolution autoswitch (I have that disabled now).

With non-15kHz, non-interlaced modes (all monitors except NTSC, PAL, EURO36, A2024), the top half of the display is doubled in height, occupying the same area as the non-height-doubled display should. That doesn't happen with the old double, frames interlace line mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBLPAL_double_fields.png
Views:	200
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	39160   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBLPAL_double_frames.png
Views:	214
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	39161  
Old 26 February 2014, 16:18   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
With non-15kHz, non-interlaced modes (all monitors except NTSC, PAL, EURO36, A2024), the top half of the display is doubled in height, occupying the same area as the non-height-doubled display should. That doesn't happen with the old double, frames interlace line mode.
Should be fixed now.