English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 February 2002, 13:14   #41
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
I directly installed on a windows directory without using a hdf file. I have 8+128+32 MB ram in my config and it worked with Win2k/WinXP.
Burseg, this is plain and simple!
You are using Win2k or WinXP.
Both Win2k and WinXP don't have REAL DOS support so there's no lowlevel device anymore like AUX:.
Win9x DOES have real dos support (that means, Fellow works unlike in Win2k/XP, where it crashes badly) so there IS an AUX: device, confusing both WinUAE and Windows.
Got it?
Old 26 February 2002, 13:28   #42
oldpx

yes

Old 26 February 2002, 15:57   #43
Maverick357

Twistin'Ghost:

For Compression ration, i speak about zipping adfs and HDF files

For the defrag of adfs, don't be afraid to find lot of bad disk images, i am not stupid .

After a defrag of adf (some have between 50 and 99 % of fragmented files ) i test it with a 'play the game test'.
There some special format that protect games against pirated-copy like 'Maupity Island'.
If this is the case, re-org say that it is no dos-disk.
But same as everything is gone perfect while defrag, i test it anyway !!!

Some self home made adf (like the whole serie/collections of Fish disks that i have get from funet (?) in lha files form, i have using the Amiga put in the whole collections in adf disks and defrag, here is no protection and don't be need tested, (in fact i made random testing and everithing is perfect !) that have me take 2 months full time to convert everithing in adf format).

Some adf images are copy protected and MUST NOT be modified, this ones i let it in the current state.

For floppys-disks and Hard-disks, remember Twistin'Ghost, that Emulators emulate peripherals like this is real hardware.
They are constraint with the same hardware problems that real hardware have.

This is why i prefer defrag everything/everytime before writing/burning/back-uping files.

Just to say about the file System of Amiga: this is not the fastest file-system because it need to read everytime the catalog (track 40 if a remember my programming time on Amiga) before he can acces a file, the free space is bigger but at a price of speed.
If the disk is fragmented, wel it more time too.
Old 26 February 2002, 17:30   #44
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thumbs up A quick update

Finally I managed to get it to work last night. I tried it using your config file Maverick and it ran incredibly slow on my computer (Athlon 600, 384MB RAM, GeForce II GTS, WinXP, SBLIVE) BUT I managed to install OS 3.9 onto my HDF file at last. It took about an hour though because it was so damn slow. After it had finished I noticed that the installation hadn't gone exactly to plan. Loads of the icons were missing for folders and quite a bit hadn't been properly installed. So I made a copy of the HDF and formatted it and this time installed it using my super quick config file that didn't install OS3.9. To my complete amazement it worked. I had changed nothing at all. I'd done exactly the same thing as I'd done before but this time it just worked. So I'm extremely confused but happy that it's now working. Anyone know why it's now working? One thing I've noticed though is that the Aux and Aux.info files haven't actually been copied to my HDF. They're not there at all. Anyway thanks for your help Maverick. I've now started to add stuff to make it a super OS. I've added MUI, MagicMenu and DOpus so far. Does anyone here know how to get rid of the grey block beneath the icons in workbench so the background is transparent below the text. I used a program that could do it on OS 3.5 but I can't remember the name of it.
Old 26 February 2002, 18:08   #45
Maverick357

Happy to know that it work finaly for you

With my configuration (Amiga 1200HD) it work really fine for me, at real Amiga speed.
I don't know why it is so slow for you (?), maybee is the Win xp terribly slow and power consuming !

My pc config is Intel Pentium 3 at 800 Mhz, 256 MB of ram, Soundblaster Riva TNT 2 graphics card, Win98 Sec.Ed., and SoundBlaster live Full.

For me it work like an real Amiga 1200 and past 90% of my time on Amiga !

This is why i don't buy an real Amiga 1200 today, i have all advantage of the pc (unlimited Amiga Memory, Unlimited HD space, with a real monitor and not a bad screen like tv, and 4 floppys drives, copy of adf faster than light (< 1 second to copy an adf-file) acces to internet (through pc !) ect...

For me it is the ideal way today to use an Amiga because you can change the config of Amiga (500 - 3000) in less than 1 minut.

You don't need old floppy that can be broken after a time, or not need a big box with hundreds of floppys, ect...

Yes, this is the best way today to live the Amiga.
The other best choice is something like the AmigaOne but with a better technology.
Old 12 February 2011, 00:02   #46
Mick

Sorry to keep bumping ancient threads but I came across this after searching for the same problem and thought I would add my experience.

I don't have a CDROM for my A1200 so when I was using WinUAE to try and copy over OS3.9 I was convinced that my CD was damaged until I read this thread and the aux/Windows issue.

I used a Linux install to zip up the entire contents of the CD and then transferred it over to Amiga using EasyADF/CF adapter, after an hour of unzipping the file onto its own partition I then used the emergency floppy disk to install it from the partition.

This place is a treasure trove of solutions.
Old 04 October 2013, 14:20   #47
Striker01

Amiga Workbench Aux Aux.info file troubles under Windows 7

Hi,

I confirm also troubles copying files from my old Amiga Workbench Backup CD to harddisk.

The copy process stops everytime uncomented by Windows with the file Aux.info from the Workbench path /Storage/Dosdrivers

There should be Aux and Aux.info

For some reason Windows doesn't allow access on file named Aux
Try to create a new textfile with the name Aux and you will see that this filename is not allowed.

My error message under Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (German):
Der angegebene Gerätename ist unzulässig.

The problem occurs when I try to copy Workbench 3.1 and Amiga OS 3.9 files.

Can please anyone make a ZIP file with the Aux files and upload it here?

Would be very nice.
Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Striker
Old 04 October 2013, 14:28   #48
demolition
Unregistered User

It is generally a good idea to use LHA for backing up Amiga files. Then you won't have problems with neither filenames nor flags/permissions.

If you have lha in your path, this should put aux and aux.info into an lha file:
Code:
lha a auxbackup.lha sys:storage/dosdrivers/aux#?
Old 04 October 2013, 14:47   #49
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Well I be, I just tried and he is indeed correct.
How stupid is that.
Old 04 October 2013, 15:03   #50
shuttlepilot
Vampire 68080 Owner

This heralds back to the days of DOS and all subsequent Windows OS's are hard-coded to reject certain filenames that might interfere with system events and general day-to-day operations of the computer.

All rejected by Windows 7 as filenames:
CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, LPT9

There's probably some more lurking around, the ones listed however are the most obvious.

Last edited by shuttlepilot; 04 October 2013 at 15:12.
Old 04 October 2013, 19:22   #51
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttlepilot View Post
This heralds back to the days of DOS and all subsequent Windows OS's are hard-coded to reject certain filenames that might interfere with system events and general day-to-day operations of the computer.

All rejected by Windows 7 as filenames:
CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, LPT9

There's probably some more lurking around, the ones listed however are the most obvious.
Never really noticed until seeing this thread.
Old 04 October 2013, 19:29   #52
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is dos compatibility feature but it isn't "hard-coded", it is shell-only feature, for example recent winuae has support for writing and reading "illegal" file names. (manually add "win32.filesystem_mangle_reserved_names=false" to config file)

Now "aux" can be created (without name mangling) but 99.9% of other Windows programs can't access it, including Windows Explorer