English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 May 2015, 12:59   #1
TenLeftFingers

Sega controller not making Turrican 2 any easier

I remember using a sega megadrive controller back in the day to make Flashback much easier to play because it had independent fire buttons. I also read on this thread that I could stop using the space bar in Turrican 2, which is getting on my goat at the moment. But it's not working for T2 although it is for Flashback.

Has anyone tried a Sega controller with Turrican 2? Do I just have a bad version of T2, or the controller?
Old 28 May 2015, 13:24   #2
mark_k

Are you using the WHDLoad-installed Turrican 2, or playing from the original floppy disk? The ability to use a second fire button looks like it was added by the installer, not present in the original game.
Old 28 May 2015, 13:34   #3
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Are you using the WHDLoad-installed Turrican 2, or playing from the original floppy disk? The ability to use a second fire button looks like it was added by the installer, not present in the original game.
in turrican 1,2 and 3 the ability to use 2nd fire button is present on the original games

in fact I sense turrican 1 which is from 1990 was the first Amiga game capable to use 2 joy buttons
Old 28 May 2015, 13:48   #4
TenLeftFingers

Thanks guys. I'm using a adf (cr) I downloaded and not the original. I'm running it on an actual A1200. The version I have does crash after about six levels so I'll need to try another version anyway.

I'll grab another one (although I don't remember where I got the current one so I might end up getting the same one again!). Do either of you know offhand of an existing version which works with two buttons?
Old 28 May 2015, 13:54   #5
TenLeftFingers

Tried the adf of the original here but it's not booting: http://www.factor5.de/downloads_backups.shtml

Trying another adf shows that two buttons do work - and in the manual I found that to get the gyroscope effect you need to press down and fire.

You know you're getting old when you have to read the manual for a computer game you could clear as a kid

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by TenLeftFingers; 28 May 2015 at 14:08.
Old 28 May 2015, 14:07   #6
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
in turrican 1,2 and 3 the ability to use 2nd fire button is present on the original games

in fact I sense turrican 1 which is from 1990 was the first Amiga game capable to use 2 joy buttons
Thanks for that info. The WHDLoad Turrican 2 installer readme does mention a fix for two-button controllers: "2nd fire button now also works with alien joypads (some resistance instead of micro switches)"

Maybe that issue could affect use with the Mega Drive pad?
Old 28 May 2015, 14:09   #7
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Thanks guys. I'm using a adf (cr) I downloaded and not the original. I'm running it on an actual A1200. The version I have does crash after about six levels so I'll need to try another version anyway.

I'll grab another one (although I don't remember where I got the current one so I might end up getting the same one again!). Do either of you know offhand of an existing version which works with two buttons?
all cracked turricans works with 2 buttons
it happens that some megadrive pads 2nd button not works on same Amiga games because they added resistors
On the amiga 2nd button is pin 8 + pin 9, so maybe you can modify the board of your mega drive pad

get here Turrican 2 onedisked version
was cracked in 2014 by wanted team

Last edited by Sandro; 21 November 2015 at 15:45.
Old 28 May 2015, 14:19   #8
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Thanks for that info. The WHDLoad Turrican 2 installer readme does mention a fix for two-button controllers: "2nd fire button now also works with alien joypads (some resistance instead of micro switches)"

Maybe that issue could affect use with the Mega Drive pad?
yep
maybe they did some modification in the code to work with a specific pad, then broken other pads functionality

all turrican games uses standard amiga 2nd button (pin 8 + pin 9) ( no resistors)

if some pad adds a resistor, 2nd button can fail or works depends of the resistor added
Old 28 May 2015, 17:20   #9
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
all cracked turricans works with 2 buttons
it happens that some megadrive pads 2nd button not works on same Amiga games because they added resistors
On the amiga 2nd button is pin 8 + pin 9, so maybe you can modify the board of your mega drive pad

Thanks Sandro. The dms format is out of reach for me because I'm using a tool to write adfs back to floppy. I did find a conversion software for dms but it's for DOS and I'm running Linux, mac and Amiga here I'll search for another.
Old 28 May 2015, 18:37   #10
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Thanks Sandro. The dms format is out of reach for me because I'm using a tool to write adfs back to floppy. I did find a conversion software for dms but it's for DOS and I'm running Linux, mac and Amiga here I'll search for another.
get the attached file and decrunch it to some dir on ur amiga
also copy wt-tur2.dms to such dir
then type on shell

dms write wt-tur2.dms to df0:
Attached Files
File Type: lha dms.lha (57.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 28 May 2015, 19:56   #11
TenLeftFingers

Thanks again Sandro! It worked very well And now only one disk. I will be write protecting this one and printing a good label for it!
Old 29 May 2015, 08:58   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
You should probably have put that in the zone rather than attaching it to the post.