English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 September 2013, 15:15   #1
loggio

ACA 1220 - Some floppy disks won't load

Hi guys,

I've just got my new aca 1220 in the mail, installed it and it works great... Workbench sees all the fast mem and now all the WHDload games are working.

However, with the ACA 1220 installed, some programs/games from my floppy disks do not work anymore... or simply crash. for instance, if i try to boot the Relokick disk the amiga will just crash at a black screen.

If i try to play Flashback on disk, the amiga crashes with red software failure.
If i try to play Ruff N' Tumble on disk, the amiga crashes when the game play begins.

All these problems go away if i simply disable or remove the ACA card.

I have a HXC emulator and quite a few disks that i really enjoy using, however with this issue it really does suck. Is there anything i can do?

i really don't want to have to install a switch to disable the card all the time. i'd really like everything to just work.

Thanks in advance guys,
Loggio.
Old 07 September 2013, 08:56   #2
loggio

bump* anyone?
Old 07 September 2013, 10:09   #3
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
it's normal.... think about the new 680X0 processor which is clocked faster.....

this makes the games on floppy going crazy, the games going buggy because they were coded for the 68000 processor.
That's why on A1200, whdload is the best solution.
Old 07 September 2013, 10:17   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Instead of Relokick you can load the older Rom into the ACA's maprom, this works really well as I used it to test a CF card I setup for an A600 using the a600 Rom, was a very cool experiment!

As for incompatibilities indeed this will be the faster clocked processor or even the fact you have fast Ram.
Old 07 September 2013, 10:24   #5
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
it's normal.... think about the new 680X0 processor which is clocked faster.....

this makes the games on floppy going crazy, the games going buggy because they were coded for the 68000 processor.
That's why on A1200, whdload is the best solution.
that's not normal, I have a TRA 1200 turboboard with 020 clocked at 28 mhz and flashback ,relokick and ruff and tumble works very fine from floppy

it seems the ACA1220 is a buggy card or there is a problem
Old 07 September 2013, 10:28   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

You can't expect every old software title to work on a modern card, think PC when you put super fast multi core processor and try to load old games

It's true however some of the older cards are more tolerable, but to call the ACA buggy is unfair.

One more thing to consider here is timing issues.
Old 07 September 2013, 11:24   #7
loggio

i hear a lot of talk about timing issues and how to fix them, but i have no idea how you even know if you need them, and what the symptoms actually are. See, in respect to the card, it seems to work brilliantly and does what it says it does.

however there are incompatibilities in regards to some stuff running from floppy at boot. I figured this may be due to the fact some software code not playing well with all the fast ram, or even the processor itself. i guess i'll just have to install a switch that will toggle the "disable" jumper on the bottom of the card, that way at least if i do need to boot something that i'm having troubles with, i can easily disable the card instead of unplugging everything, flipping it upside down, removing the trap door, then connect the jumper and set the whole thing back up again.

I really wanted to avoid going down this track, purely because i don't want to knock the switch when the a1200 is on and cause some damage.

I guess there's no real 'fix' for this, just picky software i guess.

Thanks guys.
Old 07 September 2013, 11:38   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

For the switch you could install it here like I did on my A600, it's neat and out the way here and not very easy to accidentally switch. I used this 3 way switch to disable my ACA630 and switch the Rom to 1.3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9775.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	36616  
Old 07 September 2013, 21:11   #9
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggio View Post
i hear a lot of talk about timing issues and how to fix them, but i have no idea how you even know if you need them, and what the symptoms actually are. See, in respect to the card, it seems to work brilliantly and does what it says it does.

however there are incompatibilities in regards to some stuff running from floppy at boot. I figured this may be due to the fact some software code not playing well with all the fast ram, or even the processor itself. i guess i'll just have to install a switch that will toggle the "disable" jumper on the bottom of the card, that way at least if i do need to boot something that i'm having troubles with, i can easily disable the card instead of unplugging everything, flipping it upside down, removing the trap door, then connect the jumper and set the whole thing back up again.

I really wanted to avoid going down this track, purely because i don't want to knock the switch when the a1200 is on and cause some damage.

I guess there's no real 'fix' for this, just picky software i guess.

Thanks guys.
flashback,ruff and tumble are not picky software were done in 1993/1994 after the A1200 was out
they work even with 1260 turboboards by floppy
idem with relokick, must work

ie check games Aladdin and Arabian nights and post if both works
Old 07 September 2013, 23:55   #10
loggio

In respect to your reply sandro, I have to say that I'm using hacked adf's, not originals. I'll try different versions and see how I go. But as for relokick, there seems to be only the one version (using geesus release) so I have no idea what the problem could be.

Will try Arabian nights and Aladdin, will post back results.

Cheers