English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CARE

View Poll Results: What should be the next CARE project ?
Stunt Car Racer - new tracks 29 39.19%
Little Computer People - other gfx/new commands 10 13.51%
The Great Giana Sisters - new levels/other gfx 14 18.92%
Pirates! - other maps/cities 21 28.38%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 June 2004, 16:06   #21
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Stunt Car Racer but make sure U keep the "Cracked by Quartex" message in there!!!!
Old 14 June 2004, 16:47   #22
StephanK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burseg
Pirates, as long as you are CAREful. 90% of the game mods I tried up to day faied to impress me.
Give his Elite Advanced a try if you haven't done so. Strangely enough, his Elite version is the only one (incl. the original Elite i bought) that runs flawlessly here (WinUAE 8.25/26 on WinXP). Matter of fact, i consider it the only playable version for the Amiga. While i am not sure the new gadgets added to Elite were really necessary, it's a nice bonus and can be ignored if you so choose, it's the fact that he did make the game playable and removed some annoying bugs that impressed me most.

So i think he walks on water and am looking forward to any new release he might come up with.. :-)

In general: any of the suggestions look good to me, with Giana Sisters being my least favorite.. Torn between Pirates and StuntCarRacer, my vote went for Pirates.. LCP, while definately a unique piece of software, just couldn't keep my interest long enough...

Old 14 June 2004, 21:05   #23
fiath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
Stunt Car Racer but make sure U keep the "Cracked by Quartex" message in there!!!!
No, please don't!
Old 14 June 2004, 23:25   #24
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Stunt Car Racer all the way. Preferably some tracks with crazy jumps. Have played that game to death
Old 15 June 2004, 07:57   #25
AmiGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
Funny. Sorry, but I cracked the CAPS release on myself. Maybe I should reimplement the message to give a more retro feeling...
Old 15 June 2004, 08:06   #26
AmiGer

@StephanK: I can't walk on water (but if we will win against the Netherlands today I would try... ). To be honest I don't remember that I removed some bugs from Elite...

@wakeupbomb: the jumps I implemented until now are a little bit... ehm too crazy. But yesterday I finished the first lap on my new track...
Old 15 June 2004, 08:46   #27
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiGer
Maybe I should reimplement the message to give a more retro feeling...
No please don't :P
Old 15 June 2004, 23:15   #28
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
@StephanK: I can't walk on water (but if we will win against the Netherlands today I would try... ). To be honest I don't remember that I removed some bugs from Elite...

@wakeupbomb: the jumps I implemented until now are a little bit... ehm too crazy. But yesterday I finished the first lap on my new track...
If you have been able to work out the way the game stores the tracks you should definitely concentrate on releasing Stunt Car Racer!

Also when you play your new track, does the computer car drive around it correctly or does the game cheat and have some kind of table of points/speeds that the car must be going to complete a lap without crashing? (And hence you would need to fill in this data to have a worthy opponent)

I've never actually seen the computer car crash - anyone else?
Old 16 June 2004, 00:32   #29
Amiga1992

I think I once lured it into a pit but I could be damn wrong! I also think it's one of those cases of computer cheating.
Old 16 June 2004, 00:42   #30
Bloodwych

Oh well, link play was always the best anyway - can't beat beating a human opponent. Wonder how it would run on 2 A1200's over serial. Probably much smoother than the A500's we used to play it on.
Old 16 June 2004, 04:24   #31
Slayer
Amiga Member

GGS...

hell, I remember this game... I was so good at it at my peak I could get to the end without losing one life and it's no wonder. I think it was either the last level or the 2nd last there is this section you would get to involving a jump across and it took me ages to figure out you needed to ease up on the joystick mid-flight to duck under this overhang... hence to say I'd get to this point many times with ALL my lives only to see them all drop down the hole...

I never warped either I was obsessed with getting the highest score possible which I recall was around very early 90,000...

I voted for GGS... although SSR definating is up there, I actually own two copies of this game...

whatever you do Ami it'll be appreciated
Old 16 June 2004, 04:29   #32
Slayer
Amiga Member

@Codetapper

;I've never actually seen the computer car crash - anyone else?

I'm sure I've seen it drive off the road... either I forced it or such... not quite a crash but something to speculate... it's been a few years
Old 16 June 2004, 07:57   #33
AmiGer

I have decrypted the track data for 99%. Computer speed is a combined calculation:
1) fixed speed table for all kinds of track part types (curve, straight,...)
2) for every track another table where the direction/speed changes and jumps are stored
if this table isn't filled the computer car doesn't crash (I think it can't) but makes some very funny jumps up to the sky...
Old 29 September 2005, 18:14   #34
Sid

Quote:
What should I do next ?
How about working with the guys at KOA on Player Manager and Kick Off 2, so it saves on Hard Disk for the Amiga 1200 ... with extended and enhanced options that they are working on?!

Sid
Old 29 September 2005, 18:50   #35
filippodb

Quote:
How about working with the guys at KOA on Player Manager and Kick Off 2, so it saves on Hard Disk for the Amiga 1200 ... with extended and enhanced options that they are working on?!

Sid

Oh yes Please, this will help a lot one of the most active community!

They already work hard on an enhanced modified version of Kick Off 2: http://www.ko-gathering.com/wiki/ind...tition_version and they have also annual international tournaments with that new version: http://www.ko-gathering.com/wiki/ind...e=Registration

Last edited by filippodb; 29 September 2005 at 19:18.

Old 04 October 2005, 18:18   #36
Sid

AmiGer...
Are you up for your greatest challenge yet???

Sid
Old 05 October 2005, 08:49   #37
AmiGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid
AmiGer...
Are you up for your greatest challenge yet???
No, I've my own projects and I'm too busy at the moment but:
indeed this is a great project and I've played Kick Off many times years ago...
So I wish it success ! It's great to see that some other people are doing some reverse engineering on the miggy and I would always encourage others to do this...
Anyway, I will contact the author, just to introduce oneself and to compare notes.
Old 05 October 2005, 09:00   #38
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

One thing I think would be awesome is Frontier online with real players piloting their own ships in the same universe and interacting.

Not knowing anything about programming though I have no idea how difficult this would be although I imagine it would be a very big job.

Freelancer would be perfect apart from the stupid save system.
Old 05 October 2005, 22:03   #39
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

This would probably be mission impossible, but I for one would LOVE to see some new F/A-18 Interceptor missions! Imagine a mission with 10 MiGs you have to shoot down or something, that'd rock!
Old 05 October 2005, 22:11   #40
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

North & South with an option for two joysticks instead of one joystick and keys!