English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 07 April 2012, 01:09   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

Problem using Commodore VGA Adapter and LCD Monitor

So, a mate gave me a 19" AOC widescreen LCD monitor to use with my Indivision AGA MKII when it arrives so I decided to give it whirl by using the Commodore VGA Adapter.

After much messing about with monitor files I found DblNTSC High Res No Flicker to be the best (640 x 400) and found I have to also have VGAOnly in the monitors folder too!

Now, workbench loads fine but as soon as I run programs like PowerCopy, PowerPacker or Audio Master the screen just goes screwy unless I Left Amiga + M and drag the workbench screen down then I can see the program and use it. Had this problem before where I had too many monitor files in the monitors folder (thomas sorted me out on that problem) so now I only have 2 monitor files but have the same problem, anyone have a clue as to the reason?
Old 07 April 2012, 01:24   #2
amigakit.com

Those applications won't work in 31khz modes. They are trying to display a 15khz screen mode hence the corruption on your monitor as it does not support a frequency this low.

You could try a program such as ModePro in order to attempt to promote these applications to a 31khz screen mode.
Old 07 April 2012, 01:49   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

So why do I see the program when I drag the workbench screen down, is workbench 'promoting' it while the workbench screen is visible? I'll try that program and see what happens. The screen is running 59Hz V and 29.02KHz H according to the settings in Screenmode.

Offtopic, sent an e-mail to your sales team about some info on putting my Amiga in a tower but have heard nothing back? Shall I email them again or can you answer my queries via PM?
Old 07 April 2012, 12:52   #4
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
So why do I see the program when I drag the workbench screen down, is workbench 'promoting' it while the workbench screen is visible?
Yes, that's exactly what's happening. The Amiga chipset can change pixel resolution half way down the screen when you drag screens, but it can't change scanrates (actually, it probably could, but no monitor would be able to cope with that!) - so the scanrate for the display comes from the frontmost screen.
Old 07 April 2012, 14:08   #5
BarryB
Amigaholic

I've been playing about with ModePro and managed to get it to promote a few programs but they still don't display correctly. I have workbench set to DBLNTSC: High Res No Flicker (640x400) as the monitor didn't like 50Hz PAL resolutions and kept displaying out of range messages.

If I set PowerCopy to 'program name' and set Monitor: DBLNTSC then the bottom of the program is cut off so I can't see the message box or set tracks 80 to 83 on Side 1. If I enable Centering: Both then the top of the screen is cut off but when I press my right mouse button the screen is pushed down so I can access the menus then it rolls back up when I let go of the mouse button. If I set ScreenMode to DBLNTSC High Res No Flicker it squashes the program into the top half of the screen but everything is visible, just can't get it to put the whole program on the screen?
Old 07 April 2012, 18:09   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You're going to have to get a scandoubler or a new monitor.
Old 07 April 2012, 18:54   #7
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You're going to have to get a scandoubler or a new monitor.
Read the first line of my first post, the bit about waiting for the scandoubler