English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 11 January 2016, 22:18   #1
TuKo
Apollo Team

Cloanto 3.X Workbench Disks support

Hello,

Can you please tell me if latest ClassicWB (I assume current version is 2.8) supports Cloanto 3.X workbench disks and ROMs with updated files?

Thanks in advance
Old 12 January 2016, 17:45   #2
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Current version is v28 (v28u2 to be precise ) and it does support Cloanto 3.1 workbench.

Last edited by Anubis; 12 January 2016 at 17:52.
Old 04 August 2016, 23:43   #3
StarQuake

I'm trying to install it right now but it does not accept the Install Disk. Any ideas?

Maybe I have newer version of Workbench 3.X? I bought it a few days ago. I downloaded the image they also provide because my floppy is not working yet.

I am trying to install the ClassicWB FULL to later install it on a 16GB CF card using WinUAE.

Any steps to debug the issue?

Last edited by StarQuake; 04 August 2016 at 23:55.
Old 05 August 2016, 06:52   #4
TuKo
Apollo Team

Same for me, it doesn't seem to support 3.X disks.
Old 06 August 2016, 03:23   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Install disks? You need Workbench disk. Can't remember if Cloanto has all 3.x disks (6 disks for full install).

Try to use only 3.1 workbench disk.
Old 06 August 2016, 09:49   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Install disks? You need Workbench disk. Can't remember if Cloanto has all 3.x disks (6 disks for full install).

Try to use only 3.1 workbench disk.
Yep, disk 2 is what is needed. Disk 1 is labled Install, Disk 2 is labled Workbench.
Old 06 August 2016, 22:32   #7
StarQuake

When you use a workbench 3.1 disk it will ask if you want to upgrade to 3.1. If you answer yes it will ask for more disks. The Install disk is the one that is not detected as a correct one. I tried all other disks too but of course those weren't detected as being the Install disk either.

Last edited by prowler; 08 August 2016 at 21:39. Reason: Direct signatures are not allowed.
Old 07 August 2016, 05:17   #8
obitus1990

I selected NO when it asked if I wanted to upgrade, after having the same issue you are describing. It then proceeded to install classic WB. After the install finished, I used the cloanto images to upgrade to 3.1 manually. At least that's how I remember doing it.

Last edited by prowler; 08 August 2016 at 21:39. Reason: Direct signatures are not allowed.
Old 28 August 2017, 05:55   #9
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Hi having the same trouble as a few in here. Using the Classic Workbench HDF in WinUAE along with my Cloanto WB 3.1 ADF images I bought only a few weeks back. Booting from the HDF to go straight into the Classic Workbench setup.

When allowing Classic Workbench setup to initiate an update to 3.1 it says my Cloanto WB3.1 Install disk/adf is not valid and will not continue the upgrade. I tried all the other disks to see if Classic Workbench may have asked for the wrong disk but no go. If I do an upgrade to 3.1 after Classic Workbench has finished installing everything reverts to the original WB 3.1 look with no icons and grey background.

Has anyone found a solution to Classic Workbench install not recognizing the Cloanto Install disk/adf as valid? Thanks heaps.

Last edited by sean_sk; 28 August 2017 at 08:22.
Old 28 August 2017, 14:23   #10
Sinphaltimus

I had the same trouble and wanted to definitely upgrade so I got the needed disks off the internet using google.

Then if you want, you can use your normal 3.x from cloanto to do a complete reinstall again but use expert mode and be careful about overwriting any startup scrips.
Old 28 August 2017, 16:25   #11
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Thank you Sinphaltimus for your suggestions.

During initial Classic Workbench setup I used my Cloanto WB 3.1 System adf for validation (which worked) but said "no" to doing an upgrade (knowing that the Install disk would be rejected). Unfortunately doing a manual reinstall in expert mode after the initial setup still results in a cleaned out Workbench desktop. In expert mode it only asked if I wanted to move startup-sequence and CD0 files into "Old" folder which I said yes (so I could move them back if they had gotten overwritten). It also asked if i wanted to delete 2 other files which I said no. There were no other confirmations if I wanted to keep any scripts.

It would be so much easier if the upgrade to WB3.1 was done during the Classic Workbench setup but when it gets to the part of asking me to insert the "Install" disk it refuses to accept it as valid. All the other disks in the set are fine. This is getting really frustrating.

Classic Workbench's installer really needs to be updated to accommodate Cloanto's current version of Workbench 3.1 Install disk.
Old 28 August 2017, 16:37   #12
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

This is what it looks like after the manual upgrade. Maybe I have to restore some settings.

Last edited by sean_sk; 20 February 2022 at 04:01.
Old 28 August 2017, 18:44   #13
Sinphaltimus

Yeah, the manual update thing was in case you *Wanted* 3.1 and did NOT want to download a WB3.1 installation disk from the internet.

In my case, I used a downloaded install disk, all the others worked fine. Not sure why my cloanto adf didn't work. so in the end I was able to do the inplace upgrade, just with a different wb_install.adf.
Old 29 August 2017, 17:38   #14
fordav1

Not sure about Cloanto's practices, but on the ACA500+, Individual Computers provides a full set of 6 licensed 3.1 disks which are unpacked into memory and available on the desktop. However they have been purposely changed so they can't be copied to a real floppy. The files on the disks equal more than 880kb!
I know this because the Install disk in my original 3.1 set failed recently and I wanted to replace it with files written from the ACA500+ set which was handy. It didn't fit so I just ended up doing the same as you and getting a copy off the net haha!
Old 29 August 2017, 18:19   #15
Sinphaltimus

I can't see an issue with it. I actually have wb3.1 floppies original that don't work anymore and several AF purchases. These things are old. Getting them to work relies on the community working together.
Old 29 August 2017, 18:36   #16
kgc210

Just had a quick look at the script for installing ClassicWb
All it does is check the discs are Named Workbench3.1 Install3.1 etc.
Are the 3.x ones called Workbench3.x etc?
If so try renaming them 3.1 instead
Old 29 August 2017, 19:37   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Sounds like OFS formatted destination floppy, OFS does not have enough space, WB3.x disks are FFS formatted. (Or just do image copy)
Old 29 August 2017, 19:48   #18
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc210 View Post

Brilliant! I think I'll make a copy of my cloanto disks and rename them for future use.
Old 29 August 2017, 20:19   #19
kgc210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Brilliant! I think I'll make a copy of my cloanto disks and rename them for future use.
I don't have any 3.x disks or adf's so I haven't tried it out. Worst case might need to comment a bit of the install script out.
Old 01 September 2017, 17:34   #20
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc210 View Post
The Cloanto disks are correctly named. But I did get to the bottom of it.

I checked the "Install3.1" script in the S directory of the Classic Workbench system.hdf and noticed that it looks for "BRU" (Backup Restore Utility I believe) in the HDTools folder. Well it's not there in Cloanto's latest release of Install3.1 ADF and so it fails the validity check. I suspect they weren't able to fit it onto the Install disk due to changes they had made to it and therefore, because of the lack of space, they have dumped it on the Extras disk instead.

In the place of BRU is another file called "drive definitions" so I changed the Install3.1 script to look for that file instead and it passed the validity check. The only caveat is that the Classic Workbench installer is unable to copy BRU over to the hard drive but that is no big deal since it can be manually copied over from the Extras disk.