English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 11 December 2005, 18:35   #1
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Equivalent libraries from standard c to amiga c

Hello mates, i have just recently installed storm c, but have few problems trying to get my programs to work. I get some libraries(i.e conio.h) missing on storm c, so i am looking ofr a list of equivalences in libraries from those compilers.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Old 11 December 2005, 21:29   #2
Npl

conio.h is actually a MSDOS "library". No surprise its missing
best way would be to code C-Style with scanf and printf, but I know it can be a pain for some purposes.
If not I think you`d have to communicate with Messages over the "CON" Device.
Old 12 December 2005, 00:03   #3
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Yeah i know that conio.h it's a borland exclusive lib, but i was looking for libraries that perform like it more or less. But well, i will have to manage how to do it.
Very thanks mate!!
Old 12 December 2005, 04:37   #4
OddbOd

It would help if you could tell us what exactly you need to do, what functions do you require? I assume you already understand that many of the conio functions would not make any sense under AmigaOS, e.g. Screen handling, video mode switching, text windows are all handled completely differently and are not practically portable.
Old 12 December 2005, 21:15   #5
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

I was thinking about getch(). I need a similar function that performs more or less like it, because getchar() isn't the same exactly.
Thanks!!!
Old 13 December 2005, 08:51   #6
OddbOd

Ahhhh you want a character from a console window without the Enter key being pressed don't you? In that case I would cheat and use vbcc which includes a getch() function, simply change #include <conio.h> to #include <extra.h> and compile it with the -lextra switch.

Since you are using StormC it's probably worth mentioning that there are much better ways of handling character I/O under C++ in this case the istream::get member functions are much more flexible, easier to use and will do exactly what you want.

Yet another method which is Amiga specific is to use the RAW: device which supports unbuffered character input, from what I understand you can switch a CON: window to Raw mode using the SetMode() function from the DOS library and then use Read() to get characters one at a time. This is the option that I know the least about, someone with more experience will be able to provide a much better explanation.

Edit: Some of these usenet posts might be helpful as you are not the first person to get stuck with this problem.
Old 14 December 2005, 17:01   #7
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Thanks for this last reply, seems that using vbcc i will be allowed to use that extra.h libray. I will look at it for sure. By the way, at the moment i don't know c++ coding, only c, but in a future would learn it, as it seems to be more powerful than standard c on some areas.
Will check also the usenet posts.
Thanks a lot for your help!!!!!