English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 04 April 2008, 19:20   #81
john4p
Competition Moderator

Okay - now I found out how to really get 5 stars. It doesn't depend on $-tokens. Just collect any token you want. Each 5 tokens collected means an additional star (as long as you don't lose a life I think):

5 tokens collected: 3 stars
10 tokens collected: 4 stars
15 tokens collected: 5 stars

So it's possible to have 5 stars after the 5th goose copter. But you have to destroy each of them before they are assembled or you won't get enough tokens...

When you have 4 stars and die you'll have a SLOW 4-way shot afterwards.
When you have 5 stars and die you'll have a FAST 5-way shot again which is indefinitely better than the slow 4-way-shot.

I always just restart the game when I lose my first life before obtaining 5 stars (which still happens most of the time).

You can have 5 stars and thus be "upgrade-independent" as soon as here (very first water area):

@Shoonay: Ah, didn't know about RefreshLock - good to know. (Still Powerstrip works on my Vista 32 and lets you create custom resolutions.)

Last edited by john4p; 04 April 2008 at 19:26.
Old 04 April 2008, 19:49   #82
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
@Shoonay: Ah, didn't know about RefreshLock - good to know. (Still Powerstrip works on my Vista 32 and lets you create custom resolutions.)
Dunno much about how Powerstrip looks now, last time I checked it was a huge package that I've had setup longer than I've played the game that always showed in 60Hz.
I don't quite know what you mean about custom res's, but as far as I know, RefreshLock checks and lists *all* the resolutions and frequencies available at your setup, and you either let it choose the best resresh or use&lock one yerself.
For me it's just easier, smaller & faster than any other.
And about the working on Vista bit, it was sarcasm - it's from 2003, and people are usually saying nothing works on Vista, not to mention proggies older than 0,5 year
Old 05 April 2008, 05:32   #83
TodaysForgotten

Quote:

that is one good-looking screenie.
Old 06 April 2008, 01:04   #84
Graham Humphrey

Into the final week for this round now, and indeed for the first leg of this year's competition. It's gone a bit quiet but there's still plenty of time for the standings to change.

And good luck Blade in sorting your computer problems out...
Old 06 April 2008, 19:44   #85
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
Dunno much about how Powerstrip looks now, last time I checked it was a huge package that I've had setup longer than I've played the game that always showed in 60Hz.
I don't quite know what you mean about custom res's, but as far as I know, RefreshLock checks and lists *all* the resolutions and frequencies available at your setup, and you either let it choose the best resresh or use&lock one yerself.
For me it's just easier, smaller & faster than any other.
And about the working on Vista bit, it was sarcasm - it's from 2003, and people are usually saying nothing works on Vista, not to mention proggies older than 0,5 year
Well, Powerstrip is indeed a bit complex to use. But it also works perfect. And it lets you choose almost any resolution you want - not only the ones officially supported by your graphics driver.
For Turrican II I use a resolution of 640x432 which means fullscreen (320x216 is the native resolution of the game). Now that's a custom resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodaysForgotten
that is one good-looking screenie.
Yes - hq2x ftw! But even Gameboy Color - games look like art when scaled with hq2x...
Old 07 April 2008, 07:54   #86
peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunde View Post
the ice level is totally
that turret boss on the rail shooting green spheres at you is very hard and needs a great amount of hits
got 1035660 points,and my trigger finger is hurting
no more swiv for me now,must get sleep

For the turret boss try saving your Z's (temporary invincibility) from the previous token boss by shooting them up the screen until you get to the boss. Then pick up the Z's... Then, use your own ship to blow up the boss by moving the Heli over the top of it. Careful not to lose invincibility before you've killed it - but the time you get from 3 Z tokens does the trick.

Old 07 April 2008, 09:39   #87
john4p
Competition Moderator

The 3rd boss is also without tokens easy. Just keep moving with him and shooting at him. When you reach the border just move in the other direction - his shots are to slow to hit you (of course you'll always have to stay at the bottom of the screen). Just always keep an eye on the blobs and sometimes move a bit earlier in order to not run into them.

@peace: I reached the final boss with a score of 1600k. How many points could I (approximately) have gotten if I had managed to complete the game?
Old 07 April 2008, 17:06   #88
TodaysForgotten

To add onto what john is saying for the level 3 boss: I am using a 360 controller. I do not use the invincibility of the $ signs at all. Instead i employ the go opposite direction for the level 3 boss as well. I believe the analog stick is too fine for some older games and even though i was moving left to right or vice versa - My ship was slightly moving up which caused a death or two here and there when the boss would fire. Just pay close attention to that.

For the blobs i stay near the middle and once one nears me i go under it (firing) and slam the bottom to go opposite direction of boss while taking out other blobs near the top coming towards the bottom.
Old 08 April 2008, 13:00   #89
peace

Quote:
@peace: I reached the final boss with a score of 1600k. How many points could I (approximately) have gotten if I had managed to complete the game?
At least another 400K as I think you're awarded 200K for each stage of the final boss.

(Oh, and I meant '$' instead of 'Z' for the tokens.)

Old 08 April 2008, 13:16   #90
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
At least another 400K as I think you're awarded 200K for each stage of the final boss.
K' thx. Well, then I'm really clueless how and where TF and you scored another 300k/400k without score leeching (which would be easy at the 2nd boss with the infinite respawning helicopters). Could you give me a hint (I won't beat you anyway... )?
Old 08 April 2008, 20:10   #91
TodaysForgotten

id chime in but i already hurt myself with jump n roll (:
Old 08 April 2008, 22:05   #92
peace

Quote:
K' thx. Well, then I'm really clueless how and where TF and you scored another 300k/400k without score leeching (which would be easy at the 2nd boss with the infinite respawning helicopters). Could you give me a hint (I won't beat you anyway... )?
hehe. No leeching!

I think I've scored as little as 2.0 million and completed this game. I think the score then just depends on how many enemies you've killed. The better your knowledge of the game and the more skill you show the more you will shoot down. It helps to die less, also.
Also the game adjusts its difficulty to your skill: it is harder if you die less. I'm not certain, but this may include more enemies to shoot down, especially during some of the hard bits where tons of enemies appear at once.

Old 09 April 2008, 09:13   #93
john4p
Competition Moderator

Ah, well - thanks for the explanation.

I made a test run using savestates and had 2,100k at the end. I loaded the savestate again (right at the endboss's 2nd form) and just killed a bit more of the insects (less than 20 rows) at the left and right of the final boss - then I finished with 2,185k. Seems to be easily possible to boost your score at the final boss.
But I know that score leeching would be the only way for me to be able to beat your scores. So I'll just give up.
Old 09 April 2008, 09:46   #94
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
And good luck Blade in sorting your computer problems out...
Thanks Graham Ive got Linux sorted out 100%, got Winblows sorted out 100%, and ive got my Amiga sorted out 90%, but i don't know if i have the patience to take on SWIV anymore otherwise you might find i have smashed my A1200 in frustration .. lol
Old 09 April 2008, 18:05   #95
john4p
Competition Moderator

Come on! Just relax, have a nice vegemite sandwich and try again...
Old 09 April 2008, 20:05   #96
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Come on! Just relax, have a nice vegemite sandwich and try again...
I hate Vegemite !!
Old 10 April 2008, 08:22   #97
john4p
Competition Moderator

Lol - I don't even know how vegemite tastes. Just recently read the lyrics of the song "Down Under"...
Old 10 April 2008, 10:13   #98
Graham Humphrey

I had several goes last night and I can't get anywhere near my best score, let alone anyone else's. The pressure is just too much
Old 11 April 2008, 13:00   #99
blade002
Zone Friend

Well its obvious i am not going to get 2 million, so my next best bet is to knock Lunde down a notch.. Ok Ok you twisted my arm, i will try again!

So whats the next game coming up ?? I am too lazy to check
Old 11 April 2008, 13:26   #100
Graham Humphrey

None yet... we've got a little break after this round, before the voting for the next round starts. Check the season schedule for more info...