English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 November 2018, 21:10   #21
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You should read more carefully. Nobody said that "Reset" will free the HDF. We are talking about "Restart" which is a different button.
I'm sorry Thomas, i was wrong to write, but as mentioned above "Restart" unlock only HDF but it does not unlock files, archives, data files, etc., dragged to the Workbench
Old 14 November 2018, 21:11   #22
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
but as mentioned above "Restart" unlock only HDF but it does not unlock files, archives, data files, etc., dragged to the Workbench
Maybe, but that's not what ransom1122 is after (only .HDFs) so best not to complicate things...
Old 14 November 2018, 23:33   #23
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
HDF is always "in use", they are only released (file handle closed) during reset but HD controller emulation opens it again almost immediately (to get size, partition table etc). It is also by design write locked because any external write would corrupt the filesystem because part of data is always cached by HD controller driver and/or filesystem. (which is also the reason why statefiles can't work with read-write HDFs)

"Restart" is the only supported way to release/free HDFs. (and it is a bug if it isn't released after restart)

I guess with "1 second boot delay" enabled, it should be possible to keep HDFs unlocked until delay ends but HDFs really aren't designed for on the fly swapping.
1 second boot delay? Is implemented or not?

Its not on the fly swapping it's on the fly replacing.
Old 15 November 2018, 00:18   #24
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I guess with "1 second boot delay" enabled, it should be possible to keep HDFs unlocked until delay ends but HDFs really aren't designed for on the fly swapping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
1 second boot delay? Is implemented or not?
You tell us if you have this enabled... probably not though considering you don't seem to understand what Toni is talking about...

Here you go, screenshot of "Miscellaneous" with only that option ticked:

Old 15 November 2018, 00:59   #25
malko

What you are describing here happens with other applications as well @Ransom1122. I work quite a lot with USB devices and it happens frequently that the USB devices cannot be removed (even if all files are closed) unless the application is closed as well.
However it's not always possible as the application is still handling other files from other devices. Thus, like AMIGASYSTEM, file unlocker programs are good friend of mine

In a theoretical point of view, if WinUAE is asking for confirmation about the file replacement (see post #1), needed actions must be performed to fulfil the user's requested action. Not doing so is a bug.
Old 15 November 2018, 01:04   #26
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You tell us if you have this enabled... probably not though considering you don't seem to understand what Toni is talking about...

Here you go, screenshot of "Miscellaneous" with only that option ticked:

No never heard of it. And yes this option enabled does the trick indeed, I can replace HDF's with the same filename after a reset and within 1 second.
Old 15 November 2018, 01:05   #27
Foebane

"One second reboot pause" is also highly useful when holding down both mouse buttons to get the useful "Amiga Early Startup Control" menu.
Old 21 November 2018, 04:53   #28
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Hi Toni.

When I create a HDF with the same filename as one on my hard disk it says do you want to replace it? When I choose yes I get a creation Error Failed to create hard disk image file..

Is it possible to overwrite a hdf with a new hdf or not?
That requester is Windoze based. Not anything to do with Amiga running "within" WinUAE. If you continued and choose yes it would prompt that it couldn't do it. When I want to "overwrite" an existing HDF I do so after I've quit the Amiga emulation but not exited WinUAE. You may create a new HDF while Amiga is running or in a "paused state" from WinUAE GUI but the Amiga won't access it until you reset the Amiga (or from WinUAE) with Windows(Amiga)+Windows(Amiga)+CTRL.

But overwriting an existing HDF is Only possible once the Amiga Emulation is not running at all, not even "paused" (Pressed F12 when running). When Windoze removes the file In Use Lock.

Same thing, if you're watching an MKV file or listening to an MP3/MP4/Whatever..you cannot delete the file until the Lock is released. You seemed confused still about it, so I hope this helps. :-) There are ways to "force" a removed lock, but it's strongly not suggested.
Old 21 November 2018, 07:04   #29
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post

Same thing, if you're watching an MKV file or listening to an MP3/MP4/Whatever..you cannot delete the file until the Lock is released. You seemed confused still about it, so I hope this helps. :-) There are ways to "force" a removed lock, but it's strongly not suggested.
Yes but as mentioned you can cancel MKV file or MP3/MP4 after having them unlocked with the windows application "Unlocker", if all the files in use are in the same folder, it will be sufficient to unlock only the folder with "Unlocker" and all files can be deleted quietly.
Old 21 November 2018, 19:57   #30
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I am quite sure this was already solved..

You do know that "unlocking" means forcible closing the Windows file handle which means next time winuae attempts to access the HDF (which it thinks it still has open!), it gets unexpected "invalid handle" error..