English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 October 2019, 07:02   #21
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

I'm really okish with everygame you talked about.
Now my favorites are pinball series still greats to play today.
chaos engine too.
But some, i just feel them like really good amiga games,
but i feel that some have aged less well, but they all still great games.
Old 07 October 2019, 10:18   #22
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Chaos Engine - perfect gameplay and thumping soundtrack

Gods - great puzzles and loads of replayability

Speedball 2 - flawless gem

Rainbow Islands - impossible to improve

Monkey Island - timeless characters and a great fun story

Turrican 2 - action + platforming perfection with an amazing soundtrack

Lemmings - highly original and still plays as well today

I wouldn't change a thing about any of these games and can't think of any better modern examples.
Old 07 October 2019, 10:32   #23
BrooksterMax

Lemmings in my opinion has not been surpassed since the Amiga original. Mega lo Mania, Cannon Fodder and SWOS are also exemplary.

I see Chaos Engine given a few shouts here as well - I think that is a good call.

I think it is the combination of the distinct music and graphics that makes such Amiga titles peerless.
Old 07 October 2019, 10:46   #24
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Play the modern equivalent of "Horizon Chase" (which is FANTASTIC) and I can't help but think "....or I could just play Lotus and be just as happy".
Come on dude... Horizon Chase is a million times more fun than Lotus.
Old 07 October 2019, 11:22   #25
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Slam Tilt still holds up really well, the lighting and polished graphics, and the cool animations in the LCD display. Plus great physics
Old 07 October 2019, 11:24   #26
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Maybe should give an hearing as I don't know this game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR Wikipedia
Horizon Chase: World Tour [...] sa bande-son composée par Barry Leitch, compositeur des bandes-son de jeux comme Top Gear ou Lotus Turbo Challenge 2. [...]
Translation : "Horizon Chase: World Tour [...] his soundtrack composed by Barry Leitch, composer of soundtracks for games like Top Gear or Lotus Turbo Challenge 2. [...]".
Old 07 October 2019, 12:13   #27
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I think Civ 1 hasn't aged well at all.
What a load of rubbish! Civ1 AGA is still one of the best and most addictive Amiga games. In fact I've just got my six year old son into it and he absolutely loves it. When he's not playing Civ on WinUAE he's re-enacting what he did on the bedroom floor with his toys. lol. This is a kid who plays Minecraft and Roblox so it can't have aged that badly. Also Sensible World of Soccer and Deluxe Galaga are still personal favourites that I play often.
Old 07 October 2019, 13:18   #28
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What a load of rubbish! Civ1 AGA is still one of the best and most addictive Amiga games. In fact I've just got my six year old son into it and he absolutely loves it. When he's not playing Civ on WinUAE he's re-enacting what he did on the bedroom floor with his toys. lol. This is a kid who plays Minecraft and Roblox so it can't have aged that badly. Also Sensible World of Soccer and Deluxe Galaga are still personal favourites that I play often.
You should introduce your son to Worthy. My mini-Godzillas are just fan of this game (like I do ). The smallest even managed to reach level 15 so far (alone! - the strategy: no care about timer nor killing blobs if not mandatory; just go to the princess as soon as enough diamonds have been collected).
Old 07 October 2019, 14:44   #29
Glen M

I think for a list like this you need to look at Amiga exclusive titles as many games like Monkey Island, Frontier, Dune 2 while absolute classics and on the Amiga are mere ports of their MS-DOS originals

But there remain several Amiga games that I'd still put into say a top 10 of any given genre.

Roadkill - one of my favorite arcade top down racing games.
Guardian - my absolute favorite open world 3d shooter.
Worms - perhaps the king of its genre.
Minskies - This is one of the best tetris / columns clones I've ever played. Its ridiculously addictive.
Fightin Spirit - Yes I'd put this into my top 10 beat em up games of all time. It would probably be at number 10 but its by far the best on our Amigas.
Ruff n Tumble - one of the most beautiful run n gun games ever.

That's all I can think of for now. I suppose out of those the only genre defining game is Worms. It almost created its own genre!

quick edit: after reading some of the posts above how could I forget about Cannon Fodder and Chaos Engine!

Last edited by Glen M; 07 October 2019 at 14:51.
Old 07 October 2019, 14:57   #30
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I think for a list like this you need to look at Amiga exclusive titles as many games like Monkey Island, Frontier, Dune 2 while absolute classics and on the Amiga are mere ports of their MS-DOS originals
Frontier was originally on the Amiga (coded in 68k ASM by David Braben himself) and afterwards ported to the PC.
Old 07 October 2019, 15:35   #31
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Frontier was originally on the Amiga (coded in 68k ASM by David Braben himself) and afterwards ported to the PC.
And I stand corrected.

I had assumed it was a DOS game first and foremost given the better graphical features.

It is a ground breaking game either way though. What Doom is to Wolfenstien Frontier is to Elite and its the game that is still genre defining from which all other spacer sims are compared including Elite Dangerous.

I'd love to see someone revisit Frontier on the Amiga to fix the mining system and to possibly expand on the ship controls to add lateral and vertical thrusters.
Old 07 October 2019, 17:03   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
What a load of rubbish! Civ1 AGA is still one of the best and most addictive Amiga games. In fact I've just got my six year old son into it and he absolutely loves it. When he's not playing Civ on WinUAE he's re-enacting what he did on the bedroom floor with his toys. lol.
Eh, your kid sounds pretty unique though I don't think 6yo me would have played Civ1 back in the day, that was more reserved for 10-12yo me.
Old 07 October 2019, 17:35   #33
Daedalus

Quote:
I had assumed it was a DOS game first and foremost given the better graphical features.
Yeah, I guess they just decided to harness the extra horsepower and texture mapping styles in fashion on the PC at the time. To be honest I don't think the texture mapping has aged well, and the clean polygons of the Amiga version look better. But the PC version was certainly more advanced.

Quote:
I'd love to see someone revisit Frontier on the Amiga to fix the mining system and to possibly expand on the ship controls to add lateral and vertical thrusters.
There've been a few updates to the original version that fixed the various bugs, though I've found some of these run slower than the original game. The CD32 version IIRC has all those bugs fixed, and even has the flight computer feature from First Encounters for easily selecting destinations, and runs fine when copied to a hard drive. I don't have any links available, right now, but I'm pretty sure at least some patches were available on Aminet...

Edit: I should add that they don't add lateral thrusters though unfortunately...

Last edited by Daedalus; 07 October 2019 at 17:47.
Old 07 October 2019, 19:28   #34
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yeah, I guess they just decided to harness the extra horsepower and texture mapping styles in fashion on the PC at the time. To be honest I don't think the texture mapping has aged well, and the clean polygons of the Amiga version look better. But the PC version was certainly more advanced.

There've been a few updates to the original version that fixed the various bugs, though I've found some of these run slower than the original game. The CD32 version IIRC has all those bugs fixed, and even has the flight computer feature from First Encounters for easily selecting destinations, and runs fine when copied to a hard drive. I don't have any links available, right now, but I'm pretty sure at least some patches were available on Aminet...

Edit: I should add that they don't add lateral thrusters though unfortunately...
I'll have to check out the cd32 version in more detailed then. I have played it through whdload but not to much, certain ly haven't done any mining in it. The bug I was referring to in mining is that you can't make any money from it. All you get is worthless minerals making the whole exercise actually cost you a fair bit in resources to get to the mining sites. Did they fix this in the cd32 version?

Lateral and vertical thrusters should be possible as the game (as far as I know anyway) does use newtonian physics in its engine. Turning engines off for example is similar to flight assist off in elite dangerous but the lack of lateral controls makes it mostly useless in frontier.
Old 07 October 2019, 23:10   #35
idrougge

Quote:
What a load of rubbish! Civ1 AGA is still one of the best and most addictive Amiga games. In fact I've just got my six year old son into it and he absolutely loves it. When he's not playing Civ on WinUAE he's re-enacting what he did on the bedroom floor with his toys. lol. This is a kid who plays Minecraft and Roblox so it can't have aged that badly.
I don't think your son plays the game the same way an adult does. Civ 1 doesn't scale very well and is rather light on variation even in comparison with Civ 2.

To add insult to injury, the Amiga version, while it has the best music (and the AGA version probably the best graphics), is a lousy PC port, probably further hampered by shared code with the ST. It manages to be slow even on an A4000.
Old 07 October 2019, 23:56   #36
E-Penguin
Banana

The Settlers; I must have spent years of my life playing it.
Old 08 October 2019, 00:08   #37
eXeler0

Still preferring Kick Off 2 on my A500 over FIFA19 on my Xbox One X ;-)
Old 09 October 2019, 01:14   #38
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Huh.. I'd like some campaign missions.
Actually 2 campaigns (both Federation and Imperials)
And both campaigns end with some heavy crashing and battles with Thargoids.

Not sure if that is possible to patch/update.
Old 31 October 2019, 14:39   #39
gjb1985

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but: Colonization

It's superior to the pc version in sound/music alone and it's better than the extension they did with civ 4 or 5?
Old 31 October 2019, 15:03   #40
roondar

I'm going to say something quite silly here. True for me, but still silly. The following then is opinion, not fact

I do not like CIV 2.

There. I've said it. I think CIV 1 is a much better, more fun and streamlined game. CIV 3 is slightly better, but I still don't like it as much as part 1. First part I liked better than CIV 1 for real was part 4.