English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 October 2019, 09:55   #41
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Best selling console? Don't you mean best-selling CD console?
No I'm fairly sure the CD32 was the best selling console in the UK in 1993 and so much so that Commodore could not keep up the demand.

To get this thread back on topic though I honestly don't see a mini Amiga designed for the retail masses ever hitting the shelves, be that by 2030 or whenever. There isn't enough appetite for it.
Old 22 October 2019, 11:02   #42
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
No I'm fairly sure the CD32 was the best selling console in the UK in 1993 and so much so that Commodore could not keep up the demand.

To get this thread back on topic though I honestly don't see a mini Amiga designed for the retail masses ever hitting the shelves, be that by 2030 or whenever. There isn't enough appetite for it.

I disagree as it would cover all generations of Amiga, just be a CD32 mini case.
This would give an advantage over the Mega drive mini as it had fewer games and its only one generation (unless the master system games are on it?)
The Amiga dominated the school playground talk and swapping of games in my year. The minority with the mega drive and even less with the Snes were Jealous of the number of games that were easily available. They did have the load times advantage and slightly better frame rates. But that didn't matter when you had around 10 games for every one of theirs.
Old 22 October 2019, 12:01   #43
Amigajay

I see the Amiga scene in the same situation as we are now sadly, the current IP owners don’t seem to see the bigger picture with potential sales making an Amiga Mini, but would rather continue to sell a few hundred licenses, pieces of hardware and holding onto what they have rather than taking any risks of sorts.

I don’t know the sales figures of the C64 Mini but i can bet my house its more than any of the products they have released, and something like that would only bring in more potential buyers to current projects who the get a taste of what they once had and what to upgrade and play the latest games and programs, a win win situation some might say, but again they seem very reluctant to move the brand anywhere.
Old 22 October 2019, 12:23   #44
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
I see the Amiga scene in the same situation as we are now sadly, the current IP owners don’t seem to see the bigger picture with potential sales making an Amiga Mini, but would rather continue to sell a few hundred licenses, pieces of hardware and holding onto what they have rather than taking any risks of sorts.
Exactly this.

The Amiga IP is spread so thin over so many houses that don't speak to each other. It would take someone to jump in and buy back the brand under 1 roof to make any mini console a reality.

You'd need the ROM and we all know the limbo that's in.
Who owns the hardware? I suppose some sort of WinUAE deal could be done but when releasing actual hardware does that not bring legal issues in the form of emulation vs who actually owns the hardware rights?

Perhaps an alternative solution would be to have an AROS box. Of the few games I've tried on the AROS rom they do run ok but I don't know what the overall compatibility is. Doesn't solve the issue of hardware emulation legalities though.
Old 23 October 2019, 02:56   #45
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

TBH my evil plan, which I'll eventually build for myself, is to build a semi decent gaming PC into an A500 shell, hopefully making it as powerful as something like the Intel NUC Hades Canyon, and throw AF on it as well.

I say the Hades Canyon as that's the kind of architecture you'd need to employ to fit it in such a small form factor.

Easy done in fact if a broken gaming laptop comes on the market.

I know it's not an original idea as others have done this as well.

But in the context of this thread, if someone mass produced THAT....or even did a limited run, that would be a cool thing IMHO.

Maybe just make "500" of them