English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 12 September 2019, 18:04   #1
Tolgod

Eagleplayer (and other software) cpu restriction

Hi there.
I don't know if my request belongs here or in the request section, but I would like to see if anyone knows how to remove cpu checks in amiga software. If the code is specifically for a certain cpu I understand it would have to be recoded, but some software seems not to be cpu specific yet does check. The program that I'm specifically talking about (for now) is eagleplayer. It will not allowe to select the paula14 engine as my processor wouldn't be fast enough. My 68000 however runs at 42mhz and is much faster than the stock 68020 it says is at least required. Play16 works fine with paula14 as output, however it's a buggy player without any decent front-end. Eagleplayer had more options unavailable due to me needing a 'faster cpu' and I find it a real pitty. There's also other software, like i-game of any MP3 decoder which had the same annoying restriction. Is there anyone who knows how to het around this? Tnx to anyone willing to help in advance.

PS run68017 won't help and MP3 is not something i Desire as aiff is much better quality than i could probably ever get with MP3 decoding. I have enough disk space so don't mind the filesize.
Old 12 September 2019, 19:04   #2
Amiga68k

Perhaps worth testing is trying the updated 14 Bit Amplifier that can be found in the following thread over at A1K.

I'm not 100% sure that the 68020 requirement has been lifted though... might be worth a shot

EDIT: meh... the About still mentions restricted to 68020+... sorry
Old 12 September 2019, 19:32   #3
Tolgod

Hi and tnx for thinking along. Besides the same restriction it is also aimed at Cd playing. I've converted my mp3's to aiff files and am playing those. They play fine with eagleplayer, i Just can't use the 14bit amp. With play16 it works fine and the quality is great, only there's no gui, no option to pause and it always gives an error message upon ending play. So I know 14bit audio will work fine on my setup, I Just can't get a nice player for it.
Old 12 September 2019, 19:53   #4
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolgod View Post
Hi there.
I don't know if my request belongs here or in the request section, but I would like to see if anyone knows how to remove cpu checks in amiga software. If the code is specifically for a certain cpu I understand it would have to be recoded, but some software seems not to be cpu specific yet does check. The program that I'm specifically talking about (for now) is eagleplayer. It will not allowe to select the paula14 engine as my processor wouldn't be fast enough. My 68000 however runs at 42mhz and is much faster than the stock 68020 it says is at least required. Play16 works fine with paula14 as output, however it's a buggy player without any decent front-end. Eagleplayer had more options unavailable due to me needing a 'faster cpu' and I find it a real pitty. There's also other software, like i-game of any MP3 decoder which had the same annoying restriction. Is there anyone who knows how to het around this? Tnx to anyone willing to help in advance.

PS run68017 won't help and MP3 is not something i Desire as aiff is much better quality than i could probably ever get with MP3 decoding. I have enough disk space so don't mind the filesize.
Your 68000 can be fastest than 68020 14MHz, but can not handle 68020 code. Removed 68020 restrictions is easy enough, but this Amplifier will be crashed on 68000. Then you must ask for 68000 compatible version of this Amplifier, and it will be works much slower.
Old 12 September 2019, 20:02   #5
Amiga68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolgod View Post
I Just can't get a nice player for it.
In the thread I referenced to, there is also a AHI-Paula.lha archive in Comment #13. From the readme:

Code:
If you should insist on using 14 Bit AHI on 68000/68010, please 
copy paula.audio.000 to devs:AHI/paula.audio instead of the
default 68020 binary.
Perhaps the AHI route is worth investigating?

EaglePlayer also has a AHI Amplifier you can choose as Engine...
Old 12 September 2019, 20:20   #6
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

IIRC there are utilities available which can fake the CPU flags however you want, which would enable use of software that checks for 68020+ but is actually coded for 68000+. But most software that checks for 68020+ does actually use 68020+ instructions.

(Accelerator manufacturers really should support 68020 instructions, it has been around for 35 years now. Users should refuse to buy these useless accelerators. It doesn't matter how fast it is if it is not compatible with the instruction set. I don't want to make my software slow and bloated by not using 68020+ instructions.)

Last edited by Minuous; 12 September 2019 at 20:28.
Old 12 September 2019, 20:20   #7
Amiga68k

Or... if Eagleplayer is not mandatory and you are in need of a GUI instead of cli, there seems to be a frontend for Play16 on Aminet.
Old 12 September 2019, 20:24   #8
Tolgod

Hi again. The AHI amp also gives the same message in eagleplayer, and I understand that if it is coded for 020 it will never work, as mentioned.
When I use the 14bit AHI option via play16 it just gives garbled sound. AHI works, but the paula.audio device doesn't give good results when selecting 14bit output. The direct play16 with Paula14 output option does work great, so I consider that proof of concept. The audio quality, especially after painstakingly callibrating Paula, is wonderfull. I would just love to have the conveniance of a gui player. I don't remember exactly what problem I was experiencing with sovisgui (for play16) , but I remember I've tried that too. Tnx for all the input though, I hope someone knows about the needle in the hay stack I've missed.
Old 12 September 2019, 20:48   #9
Tolgod

The splayer option I have also tried, but where the older version had An installation error, the 19e version makes the system crash, no error message or anything, just an immediate reboot. Still great to see so many responses. Btw .. I've also tried superplay and though I can get it to work, it doesn't recognise the aiff or 8svx files that I've converted from MP3 on my pc, where eagleplayer and play16 do.

Edit:

I've just retried sovisgui and remember the problem there. It's just an iconx script for play16, no gui as claimed. The play16 prog with the right tooltypes still works much nicer and allows, albeit slow, multitasking.

Last edited by Tolgod; 12 September 2019 at 20:58.
Old 13 September 2019, 11:59   #10
daxb

http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/hippoplayer should work on 68000 and can use AHI and 14bit cybersound calibration. Will play AIFF fine. Maybe there exists an older version of http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/SongPlayer that supports 68000.