English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 14 November 2017, 00:05   #21
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
We should possibly add a guide showing you how to disable the signature..
That absolutely no one will read
Akira is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 November 2017, 00:29   #22
DH
Global Moderator

DH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In a Pub
Age: 50
Posts: 3,933
I think the best result would be to continue as normal, PM members of the error of their ways, include a quote with regards to the rule being broken, and provide a link directly to it too.

Not that that'll stop them, it has with some, but others just carry on, so maybe the rule should include "continuously ignoring EAB's rules could result in a short ban. Please read and follow the boards rules. Thank you"

EDIT: Of course, members who would like to report such matters could do so, which also helps the moderation team to respond to such matters and address the member accordingly.

Last edited by DH; 14 November 2017 at 00:36.
DH is offline  
Old 14 November 2017, 01:44   #23
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 9,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Sent from my Amiga 600 using its Keyboard.
Hahahahaha
DamienD is offline  
Old 14 November 2017, 08:10   #24
esc
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Palo Alto, California, USA
Posts: 389
So I disabled my signature and posted in another thread earlier today and noticed the tapatalk sig was still posted. Looking at various threads on https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatalksupport/ suggests that the signature feature is in various states of brokenness, sometimes you have to deregister the forums on your application and reregister them, clear your cache, fully disable and reenable the application...

So, if being forced to scroll an extra line or two of text while browsing posts is too troublesome for people to bear, can I ask that we just disable tapatalk completely instead of holding users accountable? And with it, may as well just disable my account, because this type of enforcement is silly and splitting hairs over things that are unimportant, unless someone has a nifty alternative other than using mobile web browsers and the crap rendering that they entail.

* edit - posted on another thread on another forum completely
esc is offline  
Old 14 November 2017, 09:46   #25
modrobert
old bearded fool

modrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangkok
Age: 50
Posts: 415
Sure, the signatures can be annoying, but that's not the worst part. Tapatalk exposes any forum integrated with it to additional security flaws (as if there weren't enough of those already).

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabi.../Tapatalk.html
modrobert is offline  
Old 14 November 2017, 15:46   #26
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
So, if being forced to scroll an extra line or two of text while browsing posts is too troublesome for people to bear, can I ask that we just disable tapatalk completely instead of holding users accountable?
You probably misunderstood my original query, which has nothing to do with holding users accountable for that shit. The idea is for the system to snip Tapatalk's spam (it's not about scrolling pasta few lines, it's about spam getting in the middle of what I want to read) automatically in case it is posted, not by moderators, and I would also NOT do something as extreme as banning an user because of this, especially in light that it seems Tapatalk is inconsistent and resilient about this, leaving the user with not much choice about having that spam sig or not.

I didn't know Tapatalk also exposes forums to security issues. To be fair, I wouldn't mind getting rid of support for it, but you know how these things are, people nowadays value convenience over anything, and use potentially dangerous things like Facebook just because "it's easier", so a lot of people might be ticked off by turning Tapatalk support off.

So you gotta find a balance to try to accommodate the majority's feelings.

Again, my post is not about punishing users for this, it's about systematically snip Tapatalk's spam in the same way we do so (optionally) with signatures on the forum.
Akira is offline  
Old 14 November 2017, 16:25   #27
DH
Global Moderator

DH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In a Pub
Age: 50
Posts: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
So I disabled my signature and posted in another thread earlier today and noticed the tapatalk sig was still posted. Looking at various threads on https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatalksupport/ suggests that the signature feature is in various states of brokenness, sometimes you have to deregister the forums on your application and reregister them, clear your cache, fully disable and reenable the application...

So, if being forced to scroll an extra line or two of text while browsing posts is too troublesome for people to bear, can I ask that we just disable tapatalk completely instead of holding users accountable? And with it, may as well just disable my account, because this type of enforcement is silly and splitting hairs over things that are unimportant, unless someone has a nifty alternative other than using mobile web browsers and the crap rendering that they entail.

* edit - posted on another thread on another forum completely
Is your tapatalk app up to date? Is your phone O/S up to date too. I have disabled signatures within my tapatalk and I no longer spam my posts with drivel about my phone. Perhaps there's a setting within the tapatalk Admin Control Panel that will kill all tapatalk signatures for EAB.

Anyway, the EAB rules state
Quote:
direct signatures are not allowed
end of. Doesn't matter where they've come from they are still direct signatures and
Quote:
They are considered as spamming
One problem that may occur is, if the app is updated, it may switch signatures back on silently, but I'm yet to find that out.

However, in light of this so called tapatalk spam drivel signature problem, we will be more considerate towards the members who use it. However that does not mean members who don't, can add these lines in their posts and claim tapatalk did it, as if needed, we can find out.
DH is offline  
Old 14 November 2017, 19:29   #28
ross
Omnia fert aetas

ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Age: 47
Posts: 520
I spammed all my post with my name all the time

Sorry DH, for the extra work! (i've no idea my salute was a "signature")
ross is offline  
Old 14 November 2017, 23:50   #29
DH
Global Moderator

DH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In a Pub
Age: 50
Posts: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
I spammed all my post with my name all the time

Sorry DH, for the extra work! (i've no idea my salute was a "signature")
It's OK Ross, we're just highlighting this to everyone who applies direct signatures.

It's a shame that not everyone reads the EAB rules, or in some cases may not fully understand them, however, we do have to take some action as it can and does annoy other members.
DH is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 00:04   #30
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
It's a shame that not everyone reads the EAB rules, or in some cases may not fully understand them, however, we do have to take some action as it can and does annoy other members.
Time was when this wasn't so much of a problem: errant members would be given a nudge by another, helpful and more experienced member to warn them of the rules.

Now, most of these posts are simply reported for the moderators to deal with.
prowler is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 00:13   #31
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,196
That also happened partly because people did not want vigilantes going around enforcing forum rules. At least that was the feeling. Also usually when a "regular" user tells something like that to another, user might get offended or ticked, but if it comes from a moderator, it is more respected.

I still tell people stuff regarding the rules when I can, it's like being a cop, even after you quit, there's still a bit left in you :P But what is it best, add a post in a thread that needs merging saying "needs merging", or posted in the wrong forum, or reporting? There's so much one can do, and posting in a thread might not trigger the necessary mod action (like moving or merging threads).
Akira is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 00:32   #32
DH
Global Moderator

DH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In a Pub
Age: 50
Posts: 3,933
Well, that's 2 members I have politely requested to refrain from using their direct signatures, I still need to remind them, despite covering the info with the quote from the rulebook (perhaps they don't fully understand), that if they want, they can add these sigs properly
DH is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 00:33   #33
apex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Amigaplanet
Posts: 307
a1k is already fighting against this stupid Tapatalk signature...
apex is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 03:18   #34
dalek
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NSW/Australia
Posts: 125
Has anyone suggested this yet?

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=322333
dalek is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 04:13   #35
esc
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Palo Alto, California, USA
Posts: 389
To the OP, yes, I like your approach. I was getting frustrated with all the talk of punishing users for things they didn’t realize or at times wasn’t their fault.

That said I disagree with the premise of disabling Tapatalk, unless we at least have some sort of voting thread. I travel constantly for work and this is how I contribute to/read from message forums. I have to use a mobile platform. So if we kill Tapatalk, I’m sure the forum’s overall membership, content, and culture would suffer.

Last edited by DH; 15 November 2017 at 16:44. Reason: Deleted an annoying Direct tapatalk sig
esc is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 10:15   #36
meynaf
son of 68k
meynaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lyon / France
Age: 44
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Quite some fun to see that in *this* thread
meynaf is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 12:02   #37
modrobert
old bearded fool

modrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangkok
Age: 50
Posts: 415
Is it such a big deal using a standard browser on a mobile device these days?

Back in the day when phones had 84x48 pixel LCD displays I could understand the need for separate standards (eg. WAP) for the web, but not now.


PS:

I posted this on my A1200 (details in sig) with PAL resolution (684x266) using iBrowse which works fine for EAB.
modrobert is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 13:01   #38
DH
Global Moderator

DH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In a Pub
Age: 50
Posts: 3,933
There'll always be people who hate it, don't mind it and like it, but until the rules change, if at all, we should all respect the rules RCK drafted many, many years ago

Edit: Anyway, this is really becoming tedious now,. The rules say no direct sigs, no matter how they are added, so there's simply no arguments as of right now.

Last edited by DH; 15 November 2017 at 13:08.
DH is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 16:06   #39
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro



Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
Is it such a big deal using a standard browser on a mobile device these days?
Not at all, but I guess we could try to come up with a better mobile skin then. A responsive skin.

I could help out with that if needed, alas I never made a skin for vB, so I don't really know how much stuff I have to do. I have limited time for such a task.

If a proper responsive skin was used, removing Tapatalk should be a no brainer.
Akira is offline  
Old 15 November 2017, 16:51   #40
DH
Global Moderator

DH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In a Pub
Age: 50
Posts: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
To the OP, yes, I like your approach. I was getting frustrated with all the talk of punishing users for things they didn’t realize or at times wasn’t their fault.

That said I disagree with the premise of disabling Tapatalk, unless we at least have some sort of voting thread. I travel constantly for work and this is how I contribute to/read from message forums. I have to use a mobile platform. So if we kill Tapatalk, I’m sure the forum’s overall membership, content, and culture would suffer.
We've only had Tapatalk since 14 March 2013 and I doubt EAB would really suffer that much tbh

I still don't get why I can disable my tapatalk sig, others can, but you can't?

That simply puzzles me

Last edited by DH; 15 November 2017 at 17:08.
DH is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tapatalk problem Mikeat1200 project.EAB 33 16 May 2014 10:17
Can we please have Tapatalk support? Interceptor project.EAB 82 04 May 2013 05:47
Bloody annoying Ian request.Old Rare Games 10 07 March 2007 21:44
Need help with 2 very annoying problems Aral support.Hardware 4 14 June 2006 09:51

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.22771 seconds with 14 queries