English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 13 March 2002, 01:48   #1
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Spokyz

Does anyone know what's going on with Spokyz Links?

The FTP server used to allow anonymous access, now it doesn't. But how do I find out what login/pword I should use?

The website http://www.spokyz.fr.fm seems to have been killed.

Aaaaarrrggghhh.... :-(
Old 13 March 2002, 03:13   #2
Uukrul

You must send him your registered WHDload keyfile for access.

Old 13 March 2002, 03:59   #3
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Huh!? What does he want with one of those!? Does he want to register WHDLoad for free eh?

What does WHDLoad keyfiles have to do with accessing an FTP server? What about users who do not have a registered copy? So I can't even upload stuff for him? Then it will be him that suffers, and the WHDLoad community. This is just going to encourage more fake keyfiles :-(

What's his email address then. And can somebody send me a good keyfile. Thanx.
Old 13 March 2002, 04:07   #4
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuous
And can somebody send me a good keyfile.
That's easy:
Go to http://whdload.de/reg.html , use your credit card and Bert Jahn will send your keyfile.

Old 13 March 2002, 04:08   #5
oldpx

Everyone can find a keyfile from warez sites so he's only fooling himself. He was very unfriendly to the users of his ftp from the beginning.

Old 13 March 2002, 04:51   #6
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Those keyfiles seem not to be very good ones, a lot of games will still complain that you are using unregistered WHDLoad, for some reason. The one I have is 888 bytes.
Old 13 March 2002, 05:15   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

All of those pirated WHD keys are bogus. One must buy the program in order to get a working keyfile.
Old 13 March 2002, 06:09   #8
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

OK, point taken, but that still leaves the question of why he wants people to send him their keyfiles. Especially considering that many of the games on there are JST or straight AmigaDOS games.
Old 13 March 2002, 06:45   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

My only guess is that the guy has lost his marbles...
Old 13 March 2002, 16:32   #10
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Maybe it's his subtle way of encouraging people to register WHDLoad. The various fake keyfiles available for WHDLoad are quite pathetic and any future ones are doomed to fail because virtually all the best Amiga crackers left these days patch games for WHDLoad ;-)
Old 13 March 2002, 19:51   #11
oldpx

Quote:
Maybe it's his subtle way of encouraging people to register WHDLoad
He is asking for other people's WHDLoad licenses. I wouldn't hand him that out if I were a registered user! By the way, that 888b keyfile works

Last edited by Burseg; 13 March 2002 at 21:10.

Old 13 March 2002, 20:35   #12
Frog

Spokyz is a register user so his aim isn't to grab a valid keyfile. I think he's fed up of people who came to leech files and who finally doesn't support the work of the WHDLoad team. As i don't want to participate to "talk without knowing" part, i stop here. Anyway i've the same opinion that Burseg, i wouldn't spread my keyfile worldwide.
Old 13 March 2002, 21:51   #13
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post WHDLoad fake keyfiles do not work 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg

He is asking for other people's WHDLoad licenses. I wouldn't hand him that out if I were a registered user! By the way, that 888b keyfile works
Well it depends what you mean by works I guess... If you mean "when WHDLoad goes to access certain of the less frequently used functions like saving a file and it crashes" then yes, those cracked keyfiles "work"

What the lamers who distribute these fake/cracked keyfiles do not realise is that there are hundreds of checks in the keyfile for various things and the fake keyfiles are usually just filled with 0's and then some -*eLiTe cRaCkEr'S nAmE!*- message put into it as the name.

I know of several people who forward all hacked keyfiles to Wepl for analysis and then the next version of WHDLoad is altered to not run with them! I can't remember the last time a WHDLoad modification was needed though as the fake keyfiles have so many things wrong with them!

Also people should realise they are not ripping off some big multinational corporation, it's ONE incredibly talented Amiga programmer who uses the small fee to help continue the project and pay for costs such as the website. And I would also like to add that the install writers do not get paid to make these games run like some people seem to think.

$20 is a small fee to pay for all the work that has gone into WHDLoad and I would make a rough guess that all up the total time spent would be in the 10's of thousands of hours to have WHDLoad where it is today.
Old 13 March 2002, 22:13   #14
jmmijo

You hit the nail on this one Codetapper, the problem is that there are a lot of lamerz/hackzorz out there that really don't give a damn. They are only out there for the 5 seconds of glory when they post fakes like this.

On the other side of the coin, $20 is not unreasonable for a piece of software you use. I do however have issues when the publisher of software comes out with overpriced shovelware WHDload is not one of them
Old 13 March 2002, 22:31   #15
oldpx

Quote:
$20 is a small fee to pay for all the work that has gone into WHDLoad and I would make a rough guess that all up the total time spent would be in the 10's of thousands of hours to have WHDLoad where it is today.
I agree totally. Call me an idiot but I'm not using that keyfile even though I've got it.

Old 13 March 2002, 23:45   #16
Drake1009

I don't think $20 is unreasonable for a piece of software which is as functional as that. Problem would be that my pathetic setup of an Amiga wouldn't be able to benefit much from WHDload since most games wouldn't run. If I were to actually get an upgrade for it I'd be sure to register WHDload instead of finding some lame keyfile.
Old 14 March 2002, 17:38   #17
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
By the way, that 888b keyfile works
Seemingly, but it will fail on a fair number of fixes when multiple checks are made by WHDLoad (as Codetapper has mentioned). If the lame crackers tested their fake keyfiles for more than 5 minutes before releasing them then they would have known this.