English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 13 March 2019, 21:58   #21
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by samplist View Post
What about the icon datatype?
No, on my OS 3.1 where everything works well there is no Icon.datatypes
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 13 March 2019, 22:19   #22
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 3,787
Indeed, it works on all your systems, but 1) none of your systems are standard, and 2) are you sure you're checking the same things? I can load icons in just fine, but only by drag & drop. when loaded by drag & drop, the icon can be read just fine and the properties windows open, which means the necessary custom classes are present. Are you loading your icons in by clicking on the gadgets or by drag & drop?
Daedalus is offline  
Old 13 March 2019, 22:37   #23
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Daedalus my 3.1 Magic system is a standard base system + RTG and MUI. I don't understand that you mean by "gadgets" I realized that there are two methods, one and drag on the GUI and the other drag on the GUI of the object, see video attachment:

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Test-ToolManager.avi
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 14 March 2019, 11:12   #24
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Daedalus my 3.1 Magic system is a standard base system + RTG and MUI.
+ MagicWB, + extra MUI classes? And what else?

Quote:
I don't understand that you mean by "gadgets"
Gadgets is the standard name given to GUI elements that you click on. The original post said that MarioMario was clicking on the highlighted gadget and nothing was happening. Is that what you're doing? Or are you doing something else? Because my behaviour matches the OP's behaviour.

Quote:
I realized that there are two methods, one and drag on the GUI and the other drag on the GUI of the object, see video attachment:
Which sounds like you're not trying to click on the gadget the OP asked about... The OP didn't ask about dragging icons in - I suggested that as an alternative to clicking on the icon.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 14 March 2019, 12:28   #25
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
+ MagicWB, + extra MUI classes? And what else?
I installed OS 3.1 just to do the Test, in addition to RTG, MUI I installed the necessary to make ToolManager work well that is toolmanager.library, screennotify.library and updated picture.datatypes and installed TTF ToolFont to improve the appearance of the characters.

Quote:
Which sounds like you're not trying to click on the gadget the OP asked about... The OP didn't ask about dragging icons in - I suggested that as an alternative to clicking on the icon.
I think that is the right function the double click on the Gaget in my opinion is only exploratory, in fact even after having configured through the drag, if you try to click you will only have the info.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 March 2019 at 13:00.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 14 March 2019, 12:32   #26
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
, that version 3.1 is just a "re-write" of original version 2.1(a).
No because ToolManagerPrefs v3.1 has a much more advanced GUI and is very different from v2.1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TppManagerPrefs.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	62463  

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 March 2019 at 12:49.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 14 March 2019, 13:14   #27
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I installed OS 3.1 just to do the Test, in addition to RTG, MUI I installed the necessary to make ToolManager work well that is toolmanager.library, screennotify.library and updated picture.datatypes and installed TTF ToolFont to improve the appearance of the characters.
That wasn't really what I was looking for. My point was more to illustrate the fact that your setups are frequently less standard than you seem to realise.

Quote:
I think that is the right function the double click on the Gaget in my opinion is only exploratory, in fact even after having configured through the drag, if you try to click you will only have the info.
So you also have the same behaviour as the OP then? I don't quite understand what you're saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
No because ToolManagerPrefs v3.1 has a much more advanced GUI and is very different from v2.1
ToolManager 3 is described as a rewrite in the updated ToolManager 2 readme.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 14 March 2019, 13:53   #28
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
That wasn't really what I was looking for. My point was more to illustrate the fact that your setups are frequently less standard than you seem to realise.
No when I do the tests I always use standard systems, I've only installed the necessary.

Quote:
So you also have the same behaviour as the OP then? I don't quite understand what you're saying.
Unfortunately as usual my English is not understandable, I make small video to prove what I wrote, look at it all video:

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Test-TooManagerPrefs.avi
Quote:
ToolManager 3 is described as a rewrite in the updated ToolManager 2 readme.
ToolManager v3.1 is completely different from V2.1 as well as ToolManager Prefs:

ToolManager 3.1 only supports picture files in dock windows which can be accessed via the picture.datatype. In your old configuration you have attached some Image objects to the Dock objects which refer to icon files. In order to use icon files you have to install an icon datatype on your system. You may find such a datatype e.g. on the Aminet. You can also convert them to e.g. IFF Brushes.

3.1, Release date 01.06.1998
- Clipboard list also shows the object type now
- Only requires locale.libary V38 now
- Icon drop corrected for dock windows with borders
- The __geta4 qualifier was missing for some BOOPSI
dispatchers. This might correct some strange bugs which were
reported?
- Installer script now checks for required libraries

3.0, Release date 23.02.1997
- Again rewritten (almost) from scratch :-)
- Old object system removed, TM objects are now BOOPSI objects
- Now uses memory pools
- Delay parameter removed from Exec Objects
- Animation support removed from Image Objects
- Picture.datatype V43 support added to Image Objects
- Only icon images supported for Icon Objects
- Only images loadable via picture.datatype are supported in
Dock Objects
- Pattern & Vertical flags and Title parameter removed from
Dock Objects
- Dock Objects can now display text and images
- Dock Objects can now be completely borderless
- New preferences file format, hopefully more flexible
- Converter for the ToolManager 2.x format
- Events are now checked while the configuration is read
- Preferences is now a MUI application: resizable window,
multiple open edit windows and Drag&Drop support
- Changing an object name automatically updates all references
to the object.
- Support for grouping objects.
- All dock objects get the screen notifications
- Added support for DOSPath 1.0
- CLI command lines are not limited to 4KB anymore
- Installer script

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 March 2019 at 14:11.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 14 March 2019, 14:11   #29
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
No when I do the tests I always use standard systems, I've only installed the necessary.
That's not always the case, but it's not relevant here anyway.

Quote:
Unfortunately as usual my English is not understandable, I make small video to prove what I wrote, look at it all video:
Indeed, as I was trying to suggest, your behaviour is the very same as the OP, so it looks like you're trying to solve a problem that either doesn't exist, or also exists on your setup but you haven't noticed.

Quote:
Maybe it refers only to the executable but ToolManager Prefs is completely different, see screenhot attached above, try to make the comparison.
"Rewrite" doesn't mean anything with regards to the GUI layout. It's just how it's described in the readme, which is probably why the word was used by a previous poster.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 14 March 2019, 14:18   #30
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Unfortunately I can never understand your interventions, maybe you should do some tests and show the results with some videos.

Configuring an Amiga OS well is not bad and does not foretell anything, on the contrary it is optimal to execute any application in the most correct way.

If there have been no changes on ToolManager for you it is useless to continue to discuss, I think I will no longer respond to your speeches, sorry for that especially since I was your betatester for the ADFer software.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 March 2019 at 16:12.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 14 March 2019, 15:05   #31
MarioMario456
WinUAE User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Somewhere on Earth
Posts: 19
I fixed the problem by dragging and dropping the objects in the "Exec" and "Image" tabs. Problem fixed.
MarioMario456 is offline  
Old 14 March 2019, 15:15   #32
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMario456 View Post
I fixed the problem by dragging and dropping the objects in the "Exec" and "Image" tabs. Problem fixed.
In fact, it's one of two methods I've been suggesting for two days.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 14 March 2019, 23:36   #33
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMario456 View Post
Fixed. However, Workbench uses the MagicWB floppy disk icon for CD drives without a custom icon.
To do this you need to install deficons and have an OS 3.5 or higher

Quote:
I also want to change the ToolManager dock from vertical to horizontal, it is vertical by default. I want to change this because I placed the dock at the bottom.
This simple way can place Dock ToolManager in any position, horizontal above or below, vertical left or right; same can be done for QuickLaunch tabs, you can also center both horizontally and vertically by setting X/Y values, see screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vertical.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	62474  

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 March 2019 at 23:48.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 15 March 2019, 00:35   #34
MarioMario456
WinUAE User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Somewhere on Earth
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
This simple way can place Dock ToolManager in any position, horizontal above or below, vertical left or right;
You didn't show a way to do it!
MarioMario456 is offline  
Old 15 March 2019, 02:28   #35
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioMario456 View Post
You didn't show a way to do it!
Didn't you ask?

If you want to use backgrounds and brushes JPG or other graphical formats on OS3.1, update the datatype.library and AddDataTypes with this:
http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/dtypeslib453

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Test-2-ToolManager.avi
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 15 March 2019, 11:52   #36
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Unfortunately I can never understand your interventions, maybe you should do some tests and show the results with some videos.
I've described what I'm doing, I'm sorry if that's not clear enough for you, but creating and uploading videos isn't something I'm prepared to do just to answer your questions.

Quote:
If there have been no changes on ToolManager for you it is useless to continue to discuss, I think I will no longer respond to your speeches,
That's fine, though I will still try to help people when you offer incorrect or confusing advice.

Quote:
sorry for that especially since I was your betatester for the ADFer software.
You have brought that up before, and again I fail to see the relevance. I appreciated your limited testing input (highlighting GUI problems with quite unusual, non-standard setups) and thanked you for them - I don't know what else you're looking for here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
In fact, it's one of two methods I've been suggesting for two days.
The first mention of dragging and dropping icons in this thread was here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
For me, clicking on the buttons does not do anything either. However, dragging icons onto the window inserts them and opens up the properties windows. So that's a possible work-around to try.
While you were still talking about something being wrong with the setup.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 15 March 2019, 12:18   #37
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
but creating and uploading videos isn't something I'm prepared to do just to answer your questions.
In doing so, you are not demonstrating anything and you are not helping anyone.

Quote:
That's fine, though I will still try to help people when you offer incorrect or confusing advice.
My easily apprehensive advice comes from real tests and not from theories, what interests me is that it solves the problems of users in need.

Quote:
You have brought that up before, and again I fail to see the relevance. I appreciated your limited testing input (highlighting GUI problems with quite unusual, non-standard setups) and thanked you for them - I don't know what else you're looking for here
I only said it because in that case we understood each other now I do not understand why you insist on opposing any of my interventions.

Quote:
The first mention of dragging and dropping icons in this thread was here:
You're wrong, I attached the screnshot much earlier, as you think I did if not by dragging since it is the only tool that is available for that GUI.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...9&postcount=13
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 15 March 2019, 12:41   #38
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
In doing so, you are not demonstrating anything and you are not helping anyone.
Well, I gave a suggestion that was the solution for the problem the OP asked. Is that not exactly the help you were trying to provide, but didn't? I'm trying to improve the quality of your help, because your answers are often confusing and unhelpful. I know that's not your intention, but that's how they come across. But questioning that help, instead of just accepting that your answers aren't perfect and need improving, leads us to the 2-page mess we have now, and recording and uploading a video (significantly more work when using real hardware of course), just to answer your question, is not the help the OP was looking for.

Quote:
My easily apprehensive advice comes from real tests and not from theories, what interests me is that it solves the problems of users in need.
And you've said that before too. Why do you think I don't test these things? By the way, I can't understand the first part of that sentence.

Quote:
I only said it because in that case we understood each other now I do not understand why you insist on opposing any of my interventions.
I struggled to understand you then too, and because you were testing a hardware-related program on an emulator that only deals in theoretically perfect floppies, it wasn't exactly the sort of testing I was looking for.

Quote:
You're wrong, I attached the screnshot much earlier, as you think I did if not by dragging since it is the only tool that is available for that GUI
Where in that screenshot to you show dragging of icons, or where in that post do you say to drag icons? Neither show this. Can you not see that by posting a screenshot of the program working, without saying how you got there, leads the OP to think that your setup works differently to his? In reality, you have the very same "problem" as he does, but your posting confuses the matter by making it look like you don't. You can't assume the OP knew that dragging icons was how you did it, since they haven't tried it themselves. This is the type of confusion I'm talking about, and trying to help avoid. Again, I know you don't mean it, but it's misleading.

Relax, and accept that your help, while full of good intentions, is often difficult for others to understand and regularly needs clarification. Don't take it personally.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 15 March 2019, 12:53   #39
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 4,506
Unfortunately, the translation overwhelms the contents, you can't dispute something you're not sure you understand, I've been "interpreting" English for 30 years, unfortunately at school in the distant '60s i studied only French and German of which i remember very little.

However, mine is just a technical discussion, I really appreciate your person and your skills, but you should be more understanding and understand that users only care that an application or a game works, the rest is little.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 15 March 2019, 14:08   #40
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 13,633
@AMIGASYSTEM & Daedalus; please just let this go and move on.
DamienD is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toolmanager 3.1 lopos2000 support.Apps 30 04 February 2019 23:14
ToolManager disappearing TuKo support.Apps 3 14 March 2018 22:46
Opening CLI with ToolManager Sinphaltimus support.Apps 7 24 February 2018 21:24
Toolmanager @UAE request.Apps 3 13 October 2009 23:09
Toolmanager 2.1 lopos2000 support.Apps 2 02 August 2005 02:57

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08939 seconds with 16 queries