English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 25 December 2018, 21:24   #1
jmmijo

Classic Windows Shell Annoyance

So I've been using the Classic Shell for years on all my machines but I've finally uninstalled it due to annoyances on my gaming rig.

Most games are fine when running in Borderless Windows mode but some show the classic shell start button at the lower left if the screen while viewing the game in this mode and no fix is forthcoming.

I've not found any kind of fix so I just uninstalled it, rebooted and tested again using the normal Windows 10 shell and it works fine.

So there is some kind of compatibility issue between it and some game engines, primarily those used by Ubisoft but I've found some others too.

Anybody come up with a fix for this or does anybody else even use this tool ?

I will have to dig around on the Classic Shell forums and see if there is anything to check for, maybe a setting or two to tweak.
Old 25 December 2018, 23:43   #2
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Classic Shell was abandoned by the author because of the neverending changes in 10.

It's been forked and rebranded as Open-Shell, perhaps that works better for you ?
Old 26 December 2018, 01:18   #3
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Classic Shell was abandoned by the author because of the neverending changes in 10.

It's been forked and rebranded as Open-Shell, perhaps that works better for you ?
Aha, well that could be the reason why then, thanks for the updated info, I will review it soon

EDIT: Trying it out now and testing and will report my findings.

EDIT2: I may have found another game with problems associated with the new fork of Open-Shell. Doing some further testing to confirm.

Since Steam has the Winter 2018 Sale on now I picked up the Gold Edition of Kingdom Come: Deliverance and it's misbehaving, but could just be the install needs to be confirmed/verified.

EDIT3: Seems there are some other things going on that isn't directly related to open-shell.

There seems to be an issue with permissions on some games even if they are NOT installed under the x86 or program files folders.

Some recent games were not working properly for me *UNTIL* I added the EVERYONE group with full control to the main game exe directory.

This seems rather odd since my user account is a local computer admin account and the admin group does have full control over these directories already.

But doing this resolved these other game launching issues.

Last edited by jmmijo; 26 December 2018 at 03:43. Reason: Updated Information
Old 03 January 2019, 18:29   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Since Steam has the Winter 2018 Sale on now I picked up the Gold Edition of Kingdom Come: Deliverance and it's misbehaving, but could just be the install needs to be confirmed/verified.
Not uncommon by the way, that is one game that needed some serious patching
Old 08 March 2019, 20:58   #5
jmmijo

So I think I found a way to force this issue to occur faster, since I'm doing more file maintenance on my MEDIA files I've started using the Windows Explorer view by CONTENT option.

This seems to cause this issue to occur within a few days instead of weeks.

Using the latest fork of Classic Shell didn't help I'm afraid so this issue maybe more to do with Windows Explorer than anything else.

Going to test some more by disabling the Classic Shell and confirm.