English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 February 2020, 19:44   #121
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
I have to say though there's two things that really annoy me
- the lack of in game music.
- the controls. It makes it feel that the game is difficult because of the controls rather than by choice via level design.

I like designed difficulty, but this seems like it isn't the case. Controls feel often just random, and level completion is not satisfactory, rather a result of good luck.

Ooohh....lack of in game music?!? That is very very cool to me. I much prefer only sound effects. Luck?? How do you implement superstition into a game? Hehe! The controls look challenging, as in Whizzball but perhaps a little less(??), so if you don't enjoy that game you might reflect the same with this.
Old 09 February 2020, 17:29   #122
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeslip1974 View Post
This i totally disagree with, the controls do take time to learn but once you have you have precise control over your ship. Watching any of the demo levels that play if you dont start the game so how proper use of the controls gives you precise controls of your ship
Having played the demo some times on different days, I have to agree with those who found the controls very difficult. While I appreciate the effort put into this game, since it looks and sounds gorgeous, I honestly feel that it is ruined by the controls. While I want to like this game, it just doesn't invite me to put the time and effort into mastering the handling of the ship, which feels like performing delicate neurosurgery while iceskating, at the same time drinking greek vodka with a straw through the nose. I also read the documentation and it is anything but helpful regarding this issue. The same thing goes for the demo. I tried implementing the tip by timg, but it is much easier said than done, so it didn't help.

Of course, I understand that precise control is possible, but if there are some ways of doing so, they completely elude me. Maybe some extra documentation? A YT video showing some tips? A mini tutorial within the game?

I am sorry if I sound blunt, but these are my honest thoughts and I feel that maybe this feedback can help in improving what could be a great 2020 Amiga game!
Old 10 February 2020, 20:02   #123
Bren McGuire

Oh my god you win at analogies
Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
the handling of the ship, which feels like performing delicate neurosurgery while iceskating, at the same time drinking greek vodka with a straw through the nose.
Old 11 February 2020, 00:32   #124
timg

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Having played the demo some times on different days, I have to agree with those who found the controls very difficult. While I appreciate the effort put into this game, since it looks and sounds gorgeous, I honestly feel that it is ruined by the controls. While I want to like this game, it just doesn't invite me to put the time and effort into mastering the handling of the ship, which feels like performing delicate neurosurgery while iceskating, at the same time drinking greek vodka with a straw through the nose. I also read the documentation and it is anything but helpful regarding this issue. The same thing goes for the demo. I tried implementing the tip by timg, but it is much easier said than done, so it didn't help.

Of course, I understand that precise control is possible, but if there are some ways of doing so, they completely elude me. Maybe some extra documentation? A YT video showing some tips? A mini tutorial within the game?

I am sorry if I sound blunt, but these are my honest thoughts and I feel that maybe this feedback can help in improving what could be a great 2020 Amiga game!
You know what, I think you may be slightly exaggerating there!

Perhaps I will create some tips videos talking through a few levels but just to get you started here's me playing the first 3 levels from world 1:

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

The one thing I see nearly everyone doing is using full-spin when you don't need to... my analogy is racing games; you wouldn't drive down a track and only use full lock left then right and back again when the corner only needs a gentle touch. Same here, a gentle touch is the key.
Old 11 February 2020, 00:52   #125
timg

Another thing to try is setting the sensitivity to low, that means it will take longer to change spin direction and more time to think.
Old 11 February 2020, 01:16   #126
manossg

Thanks, timg, I will give it another go and try to shamelessly steal your tactics!
Old 11 February 2020, 09:20   #127
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
And another thing is to utilise the unique controllable replay feature.

Also pull-back = stop spinning.