English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 30 March 2004, 02:39   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Valhalla 1,2,3

Hi,

I'm randomly searching for some elusive games but I've not come up with much yet.

They are in tosec but they are all cracked versions, I'm really after the HD versions (not cracked) so if anyone could help me it'd be great.

I know that one of the games is in CAPS but unfortunately the contributor isn't sharing (all too common if you ask me )
Old 30 March 2004, 15:07   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
All the Valhalla's and the complete Vulcan mini series of games are available on 1 CD called Vulcanology, iirc I got my copy from weird science for £6 inc p&p
Old 12 April 2004, 16:54   #3
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Re: Valhalla 1,2,3

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
I know that one of the games is in CAPS but unfortunately the contributor isn't sharing (all too common if you ask me )
Poor attitude, especially since they're still being sold individually in the UK here, as well as part of the Vulcanology compilation CD (as pointed out by Severin). They're also being sold brand new at a cheaper price on Ebay UK by the same dealer.
Old 13 April 2004, 15:41   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well I managed to get hold of them from an ftp, they are all in tosec as one hdf file which will do nicely.

I won't go in to where I stand on your views about my poor attitude
Old 13 April 2004, 20:47   #5
Dizzy
Pirate

More like poor attitude charging 10 £/each for that crap
Old 13 April 2004, 23:21   #6
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Crap?....
Old 14 April 2004, 09:59   #7
Dizzy
Pirate

Yes C-R-A-P Crap

These games are so lame, plz check the review in AP. They are so boring you can use them as sleeping pills
Old 14 April 2004, 10:18   #8
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Wow, they must be right, just look at how great their top 100's are...
Old 14 April 2004, 10:27   #9
LaundroMat

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
Yes C-R-A-P Crap

These games are so lame, plz check the review in AP. They are so boring you can use them as sleeping pills
I once got into a tiff with one of Valhalla's creators saying this

I remember they announced some kind of online gaming platform a few years back, and I couldn't refrain from reminding them of how crap I thought the Valhalla series were (I think that was on a newsgroup somewhere).

The man (don't remember his name, but I think there was this other person called Lisa too) was very decent about it, said he respected my opinion but would appreciate it if I was a bit more civilised in my criticism (ie: elaborate on the how's and why's of not liking the series).

The point was taken; I'm very grateful to him for replying to that (admittedly infantile) post of mine. I've always weighed my words since then.
Old 14 April 2004, 10:50   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

In the first game at least, the puzzles are obscure and spread across a large area with the longevity of the game coming from going back and forward completing mundane tasks (opening doors with keys, placing items on other things) and making sure you have the right item in your inventory (which only has a certain number of slots) and at the right location.

The character moves painfully slowly between squares and annoyingly the game is paused everytime he says something. What he does says becomes increasingly tedious as it's repeated for the umpteenth time and some puzzles have to be solved by picking up bits of paper with phrases on them and saying them (which is a strange conversational system).

In the sequels, some of the problems have been fixed e.g. speech can be turned off.
Old 14 April 2004, 17:29   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
More like poor attitude charging 10 £/each for that crap
The same dealer offers them for half that price or better on Ebay, which is much more sensible. Much better value getting the Vulcanology CD, though, which includes all the Valhalla games and 7 other Vulcan games for around 5-10 UKP. Anyway, the cracks aren't too hard to find and from memory they're all HD installable and unprotected (Valhalla 3 is at least).

I think Cody has them pegged about right when it comes to their quality.....the first Valhalla game was tedious with the repetitive speech and the sequels were an improvement, if only just for the off switch on the speech. Not ground-breaking games (even at release), but meaty enough for gamers who enjoy the genre.
Old 14 April 2004, 18:30   #12
Dizzy
Pirate

Agree about the CD, Vulcan did make some cool games. And Cody is right, the first one was horrible, it was to much try and error, falling through a pit wich you can see is to stupid to be fun, and the speech, well as cody said horrible. The second Valhalla, was better, but still to boring. And the last was again to boring, wander around looking for keys wich should be used in the other part of the castle is to boring to make you want to come back. But I did love Time Keepers, it was good brainpuzzle
Old 15 April 2004, 20:30   #13
Dr. Dude

Well well well, a Vulcan topic.....Paul will like this

As for Valhalsa, thay are today for the pc, big screen to.
You really shut check it out

Vulcan does not make Migy games anymore, but is still alive and kicking. And thay do a good job.

Vulcan
Also timekeepers is for the pc, for that....go to the Vulcan Portal on site