English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 25 July 2022, 22:25   #41
Daedalus

Maybe, which would make it a non-standard Kickstart. Your system has a higher version of Workbench present regardless though, so you'll need to rename or get rid of that file from LIBS: before adding the 3.1-specific version.

Anyway, unless scsi.device has also been removed (which wouldn't be a great idea), it should still work from the internal IDE. The ROM will try any available devices to boot from.
Old 25 July 2022, 22:35   #42
BowToYourSensei

Right, well in the video, after he made the updated roms, he used two different hard drives to boot from the accelerator card. But the original ide port was giving him trouble with one hard drive. That hard drive was 80GB. My cf card is 10GB, and I don't know too much here, but I was under the impression anything over 4GB can cause problems on standard amigas. So maybe my original ide port has trouble with too large of hard drives, when using the ehide.device? (I was surprised when I saw my Amiga had 10GB cf card, but I believe there are work arounds to this and assumed mine came with it)
Old 25 July 2022, 22:50   #43
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Maybe, which would make it a non-standard Kickstart. Your system has a higher version of Workbench present regardless though, so you'll need to rename or get rid of that file from LIBS: before adding the 3.1-specific version.

Anyway, unless scsi.device has also been removed (which wouldn't be a great idea), it should still work from the internal IDE. The ROM will try any available devices to boot from.
Tag! You’re in Bromigo!
Old 26 July 2022, 00:26   #44
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowToYourSensei View Post
Right, well in the video, after he made the updated roms, he used two different hard drives to boot from the accelerator card. But the original ide port was giving him trouble with one hard drive. That hard drive was 80GB. My cf card is 10GB, and I don't know too much here, but I was under the impression anything over 4GB can cause problems on standard amigas. So maybe my original ide port has trouble with too large of hard drives, when using the ehide.device? (I was surprised when I saw my Amiga had 10GB cf card, but I believe there are work arounds to this and assumed mine came with it)
There are a few different issues at play. You need the driver, the filesystem and the setup tools to all play together to support large drives. But it's only an issue if you actually use over 4GB of the drive. Your boot partition needs to be fully below 4GB, so any patches or replacement drivers can be safely loaded from it during the boot process to enable access to the rest of the drive. What does your CF card setup look like?

This shouldn't be the root of your problem if the setup hasn't changed since the 3.0 ROMs, because the large drive compatibility is the same for 3.0 and 3.1.
Old 26 July 2022, 01:10   #45
BowToYourSensei

Ok, I'm home to test now. I moved the cf card to the accelerator, and it didn't boot from it. So while it wasn't detecting the hard drive, I did your test and booted with a floppy, without a startup sequence. When I checked like this, the workbench.library version returned:

Object not found

So you were right about the version check.
Old 26 July 2022, 04:49   #46
BowToYourSensei

Checking the Libs folder on the hard drive, there is a workbench.library in there. Maybe this is the 45.194 version? I'm thinking the 3.0 roms had the correct workbench.library on the roms, so it used those. And the 3.1 roms don't actually have a workbench.library, so it defaulted to the one in Libs? So maybe all I really have to do is replace the workbench.library in Libs with the correct 40.5 version?
Old 26 July 2022, 06:51   #47
BowToYourSensei

Success!!! I reinstalled the 3.0 roms, then replaced the workbench.library file in Libs with the correct one, then reinstalled the 3.1 roms, and everything works the way it should! Thanks so much for all of your help Daedalus and Leon Besson! I really do appreciate your help!
Old 26 July 2022, 16:23   #48
Daedalus

Good stuff The 3.1 ROMs for the A1200 *should* have workbench.library in there, so whatever non-standard modification has been done there was the issue. Such ROMs should have their version numbers modified to help differentiate themselves from the originals.

Yep, when a library is required, the OS will try to load it from LIBS: if it isn't in ROM or already loaded.
Old 26 July 2022, 20:30   #49
Leon Besson
Banned

Welcome Bromigo!

It would be interested to see the listing of the ROMs though.

As Daedalus has said there should be a version on the ROMs to identify them.

The only non-standard 3.1 ROMs (known as 3.x) I’ve seen for sale are something like this without room for the workbench.library;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125026055...mis&media=COPY

Where as Original 3.1 ROMs with the correct version are like this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284002811...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by Leon Besson; 26 July 2022 at 20:35.
Old 26 July 2022, 23:32   #50
BowToYourSensei

Right, now that the problem is resolved I feel more comfortable with the topic. I bought the tf1230 from RetroPassion. The roms were an add on/extra for the purchase. I would say this whole misunderstanding was more on me, for my lack of knowledge on how such things worked. I am relatively new to the Amiga scene. The roms were listed as licensed 3.1 roms with the ehide.device built into the rom as an option.
Old 27 July 2022, 00:04   #51
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Right, now that the problem is resolved I feel more comfortable with the topic. I bought the tf1230 from RetroPassion. The roms were an add on/extra for the purchase. I would say this whole misunderstanding was more on me, for my lack of knowledge on how such things worked. I am relatively new to the Amiga scene. The roms were listed as licensed 3.1 roms with the ehide.device built into the rom as an option.
Not really Bromigo! The seller should have been more upfront and more helpful. What he has done to the ROMs should have been explained better as that is not the norm. Usually the EIDE.device mods are done on 3.2 or 3.2.1 ROMs where workbench.library is missing as standard as they are part of the OS disk sets.
The standard Cloanto/ Amiga Forever ROMs are licensed as either 3.1 with the 40.68 badging or 3.X with the correct revision. It should also be up to the seller to provide you with the link/copy of the workbench.library as part of the sale.
It shouldn’t be with the buyer to be running around wondering what they should be doing without proper instructions.

I think next time you may need to consider who and where you buy things from as it sounds to me this seller left you to waste members time on here on EAB! Where it’s the sellers responsibility to offer help and support with their buyer.
Old 27 July 2022, 00:35   #52
BowToYourSensei

Actually, they have been pretty responsive. It's recommended to use 3.2 roms with tf1230, but I insisted on 3.1 roms. My original problem was the startup-sequence, and I thought when I commented out the scsi line I goofed something up. Upon talking with the seller, I asked how busy he was, and we agreed I'd probably get faster answers from you guys. But they have been plenty helpful and responsive none the less. Once I started searching the real problem, first thing I found was a YouTube video explaining most of it. So I agree, this isn't normal amiga stuff, but I posted in the new to amiga scene section rather than a mod section based off of my experience level rather than the problem.
Old 27 July 2022, 01:18   #53
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Upon talking with the seller, I asked how busy he was, and we agreed I'd probably get faster answers from you guys.
In other words. The seller RetropassionUK haven’t a clue how to support their customers and basically have got your money and have someone else do their job for them for free

Nice Bromigo!

Oh well… at least you got the issue sorted. But for me that’s not a good seller. I will definitely be keeping away from them. What a Joke!

Good luck with your Amiga journey Mang!
Old 27 July 2022, 03:00   #54
BowToYourSensei

Well I'm not here to debate who's a good seller for amiga hardware or not. I will just say I've had great experience with RetroPassion! He's always answered my messages and been very helpful. With my limited knowledge of the Amiga, I wasn't ready to start playing the blame game before the problem was fully diagnosed. I appreciate all the help and advice guys! It's not easy learning the ins and outs of a computer that hasn't been in production for decades! I appreciate what all of you do!
Old 27 July 2022, 16:54   #55
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
In other words. The seller RetropassionUK haven’t a clue how to support their customers and basically have got your money and have someone else do their job for them for free

Nice Bromigo!

Oh well… at least you got the issue sorted. But for me that’s not a good seller. I will definitely be keeping away from them. What a Joke!

Good luck with your Amiga journey Mang!
So when you buy something like I mean anything not just Amiga but for example a new phone and have an issue and can't work it out, do you go to the handset manufacture or maybe go back to the store you bought it off, or do you jump on a forum or facebook group and ask the question to try and resolve it yourself, i think you find most manufactures have forums themselves and allow the community to help?? I think that's pretty normal TBH and is EAB not a community which we do take part in??

But with all due respect you don't have all the facts and have jumped to conclusions.

The buyer contacted us but we were extremely busy at the time and so they jumped on the great forum to ask the question, and some very fine people offered to help, however we caught up and picked this up and quickly saw what the issue was and we sent them the link for Workbench.library, they did that and bingo all working and a happy customer as can see.

It was your choice to offer help and we thank you that :-)

Here is 5% off your next order with the following code: thankyouforhelpingothers

i

Last edited by RetroPassionUK; 27 July 2022 at 17:43.